Eyeware in WDW?

I wear glasses and had the 'clip-ons' a number of years ago. But I remember laughing at my Dad's generation with the clip ons. tee hee.

Now I have regular glasses and the script sun glasses. I switch off, if we are going to be inside for any lenght of time. My script sun glasses are not as dark as regular sunglasses, but are great in my situation.

I have my other glasses in my pack, which is one of the reasons I wear a pack.

Toft

Eyeware in WDW

I use the daily disposable contact lenses with standard sunglasses and have never had a problem on any of our trips to WDW.
Also I find that I can go without the sunglasses quite often when wearing a baseball cap ( I need one to protect the bald head).
I will be using the same again when we go in 10 days.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
A word about "transitions."

They are not a replacement for sunglasses. Here in Florida, sales folks seem pretty good about reminding people of that fact, but other places (and on TV it seems) it tends to slip under the radar. They may look physically dark, but you're still seeing very bright compared to most sunglasses.

I was personally dissapointed, thinking "look how dark they get, how bad could it be?" but in reality it's really actually very bright.

Transitions are enough to not make you squinting-miserable in normal midday sun, but are not as good as normal sunglasses. In my case, they'll do, because my choice of eye glasses dont allow for snap-ons and i've broken more pairs of prescription sunglasses or even regular sunglasses (or heck, my regular glasses) by switching out.

Slowjack

I wear glasses myself. One problem I have at WDW is that I'm concerned about wearing them on most thrill rides. So I always carry my glasses case and take them off for those rides. It's a pain but otherwise through the whole ride I'd be worried about them. For this reason, I've never considered clip-on sunglasses or anything like that, because it would be another thing to deal with.

Magicalan

Original Poster
GatorDi, your husband has contacts with the sunglasses built-in? Are they the Nike MaxSight lenses? It sounds really handy having the tint actually in your eye. You could wear sunglasses all the time, and no-one would know.

Mousemerf, is there a way of measuring the darkness of a sunglass lens? Sunglasses are sold as different colours (brown, grey, blue) but are they ever sold based on their darkness?

Slowjack, you shouldn't worry about your prescription glasses falling off on WDW rides. I myself have ridden all the WDW thrill rides with glasses on, and never had a problem. So put your glasses on, and enjoy the visuals. The only ride which might cause a problem is Space Mountain, which is incredibly bumpy and unpredictable. And also, any water ride (Splash, Kali) is a bit annoying, because you have to dry your lenses afterwards.

You can do a test at home. Put your glasses on. Now shake and swing your head around as violently as possible. Did your glasses fall off? No. I bet they didn't move at all.

mousebymarriage

I have worn contact lenses for the past 15 years, I am near- sighted and blind as a bat without my contacts. I always wear sunglasses during the day, even in the winter here in New Jersey. I have been to WDW in Feb., March, April, July, August, and Oct., regardless of the time of year the daytime sun is always pretty intense. A good pair of sunglasses, prescription or non-prescription is a MUST for Florida, it's also VERY important for the kiddies to wear them as well.. Also, don't forget a good sunscreen 30+ everyday(even if it's cloudy,and yes even in the winter), advice I wish I had taken because I had a LARGE(and very deep) area of skin cancer removed from my nose in April and I am only 35!

KICKYPANTS

Hello. This is a thread for anyone that has bad eyesight (short sighted, long sighted) and enjoys seeing things in focus on holiday.

Do you wear glasses or contact lenses?

How do you cope with the intense sunlight? If you wear glasses, are they prescription sunglasses, or perhaps photochromatics?

How do you cope with going from the very dim interiors, to the intense outdoor sunlight? Do you keep switching glasses?

Wherever I go I wear regular glasses and keep perscription sunglasses in the caes with me...then switch off as I need to. Yup, its a pain in the butt....but at leas I don't miss out on anything. In a couple of weeks we'll be going to WDW for the first time and I'd like to try wearing my contacts all day.....frees us some room and feels better (until my eyes get dried out of course). I bought a nice, light designer frame and had my perscription put in them....I love them!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :wave:

If you do get Transition lenses, make sure you get the latest generation. These lenses have changes over the years. The newer ones change quicker and get darker when in the sun and clearer when inside. ALSO, they do not get dark in you car because your windshield blocks UV, which is what changes the lenses. And I have to agree, the are not as dark as regular sunglasses, but they are a nice compromise.

And Magicalan, you are exactly right. The Transition lenses would not work on a quick ride like EE where you are outside then inside in a split second.

For the people that mentioned dry eye with contacts, i'll make a suggestion. There are several brands of contact lenses that are made for dry eyes and are successful on MOST (not all) people. Definately go with disposables and the new silicone-hydogel material. Also, the contact solution can make a huge difference in dryness.

barnum42

SallyShine, ah yes, PRK (PhotoRefractive Keratectomy) is a very solid solution. Not all of us are brave enough to have the front of our eyes sliced off with a knife, though.
I could possibly do that, but the large fee combined with the fact that I don't see the results being permanent makes me not do it. I have to get new glasses every few years as the eyesight continues to change, so I'd be a little annoyed if a couple of years after I've spent thousands on eye surgery that I have to go back to using glasses.

GatorDi, your husband has contacts with the sunglasses built-in? Are they the Nike MaxSight lenses? It sounds really handy having the tint actually in your eye. You could wear sunglasses all the time, and no-one would know.

Most contacts now days have UVTint put into their material to block UV from entering the eye. But tint on contacts do not block much light. If they did, you couldn't see inside. Nike MaxSights are intended for certain sports and change the contrast of certain colors. In some circumstances, they can make the light look even brighter, just like some shooting glasses.

tigsmom

I could possibly do that, but the large fee combined with the fact that I don't see the results being permanent makes me not do it. I have to get new glasses every few years as the eyesight continues to change, so I'd be a little annoyed if a couple of years after I've spent thousands on eye surgery that I have to go back to using glasses.

And I would still need reading glasses. :lol:

MickeyTigg

Hello. This is a thread for anyone that has bad eyesight (short sighted, long sighted) and enjoys seeing things in focus on holiday.

How do you cope with the intense sunlight? If you wear glasses, are they prescription sunglasses, or perhaps photochromatics?

How do you cope with going from the very dim interiors, to the intense outdoor sunlight? Do you keep switching glasses?

Me....I had LASIK 3 years ago and wear sunglasses.

:cool:

KnK

I'm one of those switchers. I wear my RX sunglasses during outside times (and also some indoor depending on light) and switch to the RX glasses for indoor stuff.

figment1985

I love my contacts... they are acuvue, and I haven't really had many problems with them at all.

I have very very bad vision (near and far-sighted) so I have to wear them, glasses can be a struggle sometimes in the Parks. I highly suggest contacts.

Just get some REAL sunglasses... the cheap ones will just not do in Florida.

Slowjack

Slowjack, you shouldn't worry about your prescription glasses falling off on WDW rides. I myself have ridden all the WDW thrill rides with glasses on, and never had a problem. So put your glasses on, and enjoy the visuals. The only ride which might cause a problem is Space Mountain, which is incredibly bumpy and unpredictable. And also, any water ride (Splash, Kali) is a bit annoying, because you have to dry your lenses afterwards.

You can do a test at home. Put your glasses on. Now shake and swing your head around as violently as possible. Did your glasses fall off? No. I bet they didn't move at all.
You are undoubtedly right...on a rational level I know my glasses won't come off (because I see other people riding with their glasses on without a problem). Maybe it's the way the Old Man's Voice on BTMR says, "folks, take hold of your hats and glasses" that put the fear in me.:) Okay, next time I'm there I'll keep the glasses on!

Magicalan

Original Poster
Hey figment1985, I have a quick question about your Acuvue contacts. Are they 1-DAY ACUVUE lenses? Or perhaps 1-DAY ACUVUE MOIST? From what I've read, those seem to be the best (and most expensive!)

Since you wear contacts, how often do you need to visit your optician to get your eye health checked? Is it just once every 2 years as with glasses, or more often?

DisneyMissy

I wear my contacts (I always have a spare pair just in case) to the parks and wear a pair of cheap sunglasses. I also carry the drops because my eyes seem to dry out, maybe from going on the rides and the dust etc.

MissM

I am extremely nearsighted. I have a pair of ultra-light, anti-glare glasses and a pair of UVA/UVB, polarized sunglasses. At Disney, I just switch back and forth. Pain? Why yes it is. But I'm not into the clip-on ones since they don't work as well as my sunglasses, not to mention they'd make my glasses heavy and my regular glasses have much smaller lenses so less coverage area from the sun than my sunglasses and the transitions just aren't a sunglass replacement. It's also important to note that the transition lenses will not work through a window - so, for example, they will NOT change while driving in a car.

The next time I get my exam, I'm going to get a contact exam and try them. I have no idea if I'll be able to handle them or not but I'm certainly willing to try. If I can wear them, I'll buy a nice pair of non-Rx sunglasses with the UV protection and polarization I need and just do that.

To me though, the quality of my vision while there and the most sun proection I can have (I also wear a wide-brimmed hat) is what's more important then the minor annoyance of switching from glasses to sunglasses throughout the day. People often fail to take the sun seriously here in Florida which is a really unwise move. I'm 29 and have small cataract in each eye from living here almost all my life and not taking proper sun precautions with my eyes until a few years ago. Trust me, it's an important issue and eye protection is vital.
-m

Or perhaps 1-DAY ACUVUE MOIST? From what I've read, those seem to be the best (and most expensive!)

Since you wear contacts, how often do you need to visit your optician to get your eye health checked? Is it just once every 2 years as with glasses, or more often?

Vistakon's newest lens is the Acuvue Oasys and it is a very good lens. Fits well, good vision, and very healthy on the eye. And no, it's not the most expensive lens out there, it is very resonable. It is a 2 week disposable.

If you wear contacts, you should be checked yearly!

HHI Surfer

Contacts are so much easier for everytthing. I am extremely near-sighted - way beyond legally blind - with astigmatisms in both eyes. When I was about 13 I got contacts and they made my life a lot more convenient. I remember the first time I went skiing without having to pull my goggles on over my glasses.. it's such a nice feeling. Plus everything is clear to you, unlike when you wear glasses and things on your periphery are still a little fuzzy.

At Disney it's the same way.. I used to always have to take my glasses off and put them in my pocket if I went on a fast ride, which was A. inconvenient and B. annoying because then I couldn't see anything that was going on. Plus you can just wear "normal" sunglasses with no problem, without having to deal with attachments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom