Extra adult in room charge?

NewfieFan

Ok, I'm honestly asking this for a friend... I don't want any posts about what is right and wrong, blah, blah, blah, etc.

A friend contacted me about going to WDW. It will be her and her husband and their three grandchildren going. One of children will have turned 18 by the time the trip rolls around. Does Disney charge for the third adult in the room (they're interested in staying in one of the family suites at ASMusic) even if the third adult is a "child"? And when does Disney start charging the extra fee... is it at 18? And how much is it?

I wasn't exactly sure when she asked me the questions and then she wondered if she could lie (yes, I said lie) about the older child and call her 17!?! Again, I didn't know what to say!?! I can't see lying being an issue (except for the obvious moral reasons)!?!

And what about insurance? Would this affect the insurance you buy through Disney? I was under the impression that you only paid for the adults and the children were covered under them!?!

:veryconfu

CAPTAIN HOOK

I don't know about room charges and adults / children etc but I would have thought that when taking out the insurance you have to give bames AND dates of birth for everyone to be covered individually ??

So by lieing about ages your friend would be lieing to the insurance company and may find that the policy in null and void if she tried to claim.

The best way is to be honest throughout - she'll be the one losing out if caught

Upvote 0

Mystic

Disney considers anyone over the age of 17 to be an adult. There is an additional per night charge for each additional adult in the room. The amount of the per night charge depends on the level of resort you are staying in. For the values the per night charge is an additional $10 per night for the additional adult. So the grandson who is 18 will cost an additional $10 a night.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I travelled with my "adult" daughter (she was still in high school!) and just didn't make an issue about it. They asked the ages of the children in the party, I told them she was in high school, and I was never charged extra. :shrug:

They might only get sticky about unrelated adults, ie, 4 college kids travelling together, etc. A family travelling with a couple of kids, one of whom is over 17 but under 21, might not be an issue.

Upvote 0

kimmychad

I don't see a problem with it at all. It's no different than the people that park at the contemporary, the polynesian or downtown disney to avoid paying for parking.

Upvote 0

NewfieFan

Original Poster
I don't know about room charges and adults / children etc but I would have thought that when taking out the insurance you have to give bames AND dates of birth for everyone to be covered individually ??

So by lieing about ages your friend would be lieing to the insurance company and may find that the policy in null and void if she tried to claim.

The best way is to be honest throughout - she'll be the one losing out if caught

The insurance thing was what I was wondering about too. I'm pretty sure you have to pay for the adults and the children are covered under them!?! I guess if she lied about her granddaughter being 17 and then something happened and they had to use their insurance... they'd be in trouble!

Disney considers anyone over the age of 17 to be an adult. There is an additional per night charge for each additional adult in the room. The amount of the per night charge depends on the level of resort you are staying in. For the values the per night charge is an additional $10 per night for the additional adult. So the grandson who is 18 will cost an additional $10 a night.

Thank you I will let her know!

I travelled with my "adult" daughter (she was still in high school!) and just didn't make an issue about it. They asked the ages of the children in the party, I told them she was in high school, and I was never charged extra. :shrug:

They might only get sticky about unrelated adults, ie, 4 college kids travelling together, etc. A family travelling with a couple of kids, one of whom is over 17 but under 21, might not be an issue.

Did you ever get the insurance through Disney? They'll probably be buying a package and the travel insurance with it! They're not even sure if the 18 year old is going to be able to go b/c of university schedules but she's still pricing it and including her right now.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

The insurance thing was what I was wondering about too. I'm pretty sure you have to pay for the adults and the children are covered under them!?! .

In the UK we buy "a policy." The price is based upon vacation duration and number of adults/children. Ages/dates of birth have to be disclosed.

Advise your friend to consider the consequences of being unable to claim before she thinks of "cheating." Aditionally, if found to be lieing when completing the insurance application, this will have serious consequences when trying to apply for insurance in the future. The insurance companies have a database and share information with each other :lookaroun

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I don't see a problem with it at all. It's no different than the people that park at the contemporary, the polynesian or downtown disney to avoid paying for parking.

:lookaroun Or people who bring back their refillable mugs....:lookaroun

...and then whine when pricing goes up....

:lookaroun

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
The insurance thing was what I was wondering about too. I'm pretty sure you have to pay for the adults and the children are covered under them!?! I guess if she lied about her granddaughter being 17 and then something happened and they had to use their insurance... they'd be in trouble!

Thank you I will let her know!

Did you ever get the insurance through Disney? They'll probably be buying a package and the travel insurance with it! They're not even sure if the 18 year old is going to be able to go b/c of university schedules but she's still pricing it and including her right now.

I'm afraid that I never purchased the insurance, as we live 3 hours away, so I could cancel the reservation,and I never buy a package as we have seasonal passes, so I don't know how insurance/having a package would affect things.

I just don't remember having an additional extra adult room charge.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom