Express Transportation starting Dec 7th

GrumpyFan

I knew the No votes would be the majority. But I'm surprised at the 21% yes (as of this post). Thought it would be lower.
Options are too black/white.
We might take advantage on a short stay, or if we had park hoppers, but on a 4+ day trip, probably not.

James Norrie

Rational would be Disney improving the existing bus service. Perhaps that would be more logical than rational, but I digress. Improving the existing bus service would also be a good business decision, but since it doesn't come with any additional $$$ attached to it, Disney went the opposite direction with their MAGICAL new "Express Transportation" option.
Maybe this is a start of improving the existing service, by getting the upcharge suckers to pay to be off of the buses? Just a thought...

Monorail Mike

How big will your cabana like tent be? How many guests do you expect to want to use this per hour per route?

It only takes 11 families of 4 to fill a bus - unless they make them stand

Great question! I hadn't thought about it, but of course someone has. Let'a run some numbers...

They promised a max wait time of 30 minutes, if we assume that it takes more than 15 minutes (worst case) for the longest trip, then they'll need 2 buses on the each route. Multiplied out by 4 theme parks, that means 12 dedicated buses will be needed for the service. According to the internet, a 40' Gillig seats 40 and has room for 30 more standing. That's a maximum theoretical capacity of 1680 guests per hour transported between all parks. Of course, they could add more buses to meet demand. Sounds like we're gonna need a bigger tent!

Lilincoln

They really know how to rinse the pixie dust from your eyes.

Besides opening up a non-themed section of the park to visitors (So much for honoring Walt's berm around DL to keep inside of the park magical) it doesn't even really make sense.

Assuming you are a family of 4 and have 3 park hops during a 5 day trip, you are looking at a total cost of $96 for tis service. 3 Ubers would cost that same family a max of $45. And how crowded is security mid-day?

Disneyhead'71

It appears that even among members of this board, over 20% are willing to pay for the service (as of 2:30pm pst Dec 2nd.) For all the outrage so many of you seem to have, 20% of people who bothered to visit this website don't mind the service, and would consider paying for it. They're not discontinuing free service for the other 80% of you, only willing to provide an extra service if you don't mind paying for it. I won't be paying for it, but I don't care if you do, and I don't care if Disney does this. Not only that, if 20% of us are willing to pay, then Disney found a way to make extra money that doesn't take anything away from those who don't pay. I have no problem with this and it looks like Disney made a good business decision. Sorry to be rational, it's just my nature. I can't turn it off.
You do realize that Disney is now selling you something because they intentionally made the free service not worth being free. If you are considering this it has already negatively impacted you to the point where you are personally willing to throw money at the problem to correct the problem for you.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I assume part of the speed will be removing the need to go back through security. By going backstage to backstage you won't need a second bag check. I do assume they will need to re-scan bands/tickets just to show the correct count for capacity at the second park.

VERY perceptive....

I wondered earlier if, in some fashion, WDW would come up with something like a "TSA Pre" option. This isn't quite it.... but it MAY be the start.

GrumpyFan

You do realize that Disney is now selling you something because they intentionally made the free service not worth being free. If you are considering this it has already negatively impacted you to the point where you personally are willing to throw money at the problem to correct the problem for you.

It's the same as upgrading to first class on an airplane, though, isn't it, or staying at a Deluxe vs. Value?
It's about the individual's comfort and/or convenience factor.

Plus, it's kind of hard to say/measure if they actually "intentionally made the free service not worth being free". That's not really something any of us can accurately determine. Regardless, if someone is willing to pay for the "upgrade", what difference does it make? It's a matter of choice or preference.

Disneyhead'71

It's the same as upgrading to first class on an airplane, though, isn't it, or staying at a Deluxe vs. Value?
It's about the individual's comfort and/or convenience factor.

Plus, it's kind of hard to say/measure if they actually "intentionally made the free service not worth being free". That's not really something any of us can accurately determine. Regardless, if someone is willing to pay for the "upgrade", what difference does it make? It's a matter of choice or preference.
What is Disney's incentive to improving the "free" service if doing/spending nothing on it actually makes you more money.

Remember, Disney is a Business!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What is Disney's incentive to improving the "free" service if doing/spending nothing on it actually makes you more money.

Remember, Disney is a Business!

If they don't get guests to the parks, they can't spend more on food and merch.

If the internal transportation becomes unbearable, everyone will switch to their own cars and Disney will have to build bigger parking lots and garages.

If the internal transportation becomes unbearable, people won't come back.

Dizjunkiee

Beginning Dec 7th, Park hopper tickets can add-on Express Transportation to take them via bus park to park using backstage locations. It will be $15 for the day or if multi-day ticket $24, per person. Runs 10am to park close.

I am somewhat puzzled by this. I participated in a survey a few months back about alternate transportation for a fee. so am not surprised to see something offered. What does surprise me is that it is for park to park transport, vs. resort to resort, which is more what the survey seemed to lean toward. While I don't think that I would utilize this since there is already sufficient (in my experience/opinion) transport from park to park, it does ruffle my feathers a bit that it sounds as though regular PH ticket holders can opt for a multi day option, but those of us with AP's can't. That seems just so wrong to me that they wouldn't offer that to AP holders as well. Now if they offered something for going resort to resort at a reasonable cost, I might consider that as I often opt to catch an Uber vs. doing the usually long and convoluted trip with the current transport options.

JoeCamel

I am somewhat puzzled by this. I participated in a survey a few months back about alternate transportation for a fee. so am not surprised to see something offered. What does surprise me is that it is for park to park transport, vs. resort to resort, which is more what the survey seemed to lean toward. While I don't think that I would utilize this since there is already sufficient (in my experience/opinion) transport from park to park, it does ruffle my feathers a bit that it sounds as though regular PH ticket holders can opt for a multi day option, but those of us with AP's can't. That seems just so wrong to me that they wouldn't offer that to AP holders as well. Now if they offered something for going resort to resort at a reasonable cost, I might consider that as I often opt to catch an Uber vs. doing the usually long and convoluted trip with the current transport options.

Simple answer, APs are not wanted so they are actively discouraging your participation in the parks by raising prices, cutting perks and generally telling you that you are not that special.

Wendy Pleakley

Bus service used to be every 20 minutes. For all guests.

Now they are offering *as an upcharge* something that is 50% worse then what a guest could in the past receive for free as part of their paid admission and/or resort stay...

It could be better if it operates on a fixed schedule. If the bus from MK to AK leaves at 1:10 and 1:40 I can plan around that and my wait time should be minimal. The regular buses may come every 20 minutes on average, but it's still hit and miss.

GrumpyFan

It could be better if it operates on a fixed schedule. If the bus from MK to AK leaves at 1:10 and 1:40 I can plan around that and my wait time should be minimal. The regular buses may come every 20 minutes on average, but it's still hit and miss.

It would be nice if the buses were on an actual schedule during the day. I know the general rule is every 20 minutes, but that tends to be vague. I would like to see a top and bottom of the hour type of schedule, or 15 and 45, so you could better plan. As-is, (during the day) it can be very sporadic with a bus coming anywhere from once every 20 minutes, to one or two at a time, then the next not for another 45 or more.

TrojanUSC

People keep missing the point of this. Disney's main goal is to keep every dollar spent during a tourist's vacation going into their pocket, not someone else's. Magical Express was never designed for guest convenience, it was designed to dissuade guests from getting a rental car or staying off-property. Keep them captive from the airport to hotel and back. Less chance they'll go to that competitor down the street, too.

Now, with ride sharing services such as Uber becoming an exceptionally popular method of transportation at WDW, they must do something try to bring some of those dollars back to Disney. Obviously offering a premium resort-to-park option is a logistical issue, from a staffing and vehicle perspective, plus it is doubtful Disney could do it any cheaper than Uber can. So what can Disney offer that Uber can't? Direct transfer from park to park via routes that make the transfer far more seamless than it would be if guests took Uber (i.e. only going through bag check once, etc).

As far as accessing backstage areas, there are a lot of guests who go backstage for a number of reasons (guest performers, post-fireworks blowout, etc). The very costly private VIP tour program offers a stated benefit of transportation between parks (and hotels) in a Disney van. These guests use backstage routes on a daily basis, oftentimes even from ride to ride within the same park. So, no, going backstage is not the sin it was ten or fifteen years ago. Additionally, Disney has offered this type of service as a type of service recovery in the past.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Simple answer, APs are not wanted so they are actively discouraging your participation in the parks by raising prices, cutting perks and generally telling you that you are not that special.

Seems odd Disney wants to discourage APs when...

1. Current AP holders get a discount to renew.
2. Their 45th anniversary incentive is getting an extra month free.
3. Their 45th anniversary incentive is getting food discounts that rival Tables in Wonderland without having to pay a commensurate buy-in like TiW requires.
4. Their 45th anniversary incentive includes even more merch discount than before.
5. All the other AP perks remain (free parking, discounts to special events, etc...)

Now, did they try to discourage locals from using APs from excacerbating peak days with tiered passes with block out dates? Yes. But everything else they're doing seems to be encouraging APs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom