News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

Sir_Cliff

Absolutely has an agenda (doesn't necessarily make his claims true or not). One thing that I found odd was his outing of George K. This certainly isn't a flattering portrayal of George and this guy was supposed to be his friend/confidante? Nice way to treat a friend.

The timing of the events in the article resonate as that lunch at DCA would have been right before George was shipped back to Orlando which certainly couldn't have been a positive for him at the time.
Yes, I found that treatment of George K strange and a little spirit-y in its personal mockery.

Still, fascinating stuff. The thing I still don't get is why they would go to all this trouble to make Bob Chapek the fall guy for SWGE? If he wants to get rid of Chapek, surely Iger could just do it and the less said about disappointment with the performance of SWGE in public the better for everyone involved. It's not like Chapek is so beloved within the fan community that his exit would have caused months of boycotts and protests at Disneyland Resort without the pretext of missteps on SWGE...

SteamboatJoe

Are we really all surprised? I mean, are we? Look at the sway these companies have. Fast and the Furious and Fallon at Universal obtained during previews from the press abysmal reviews — then a press event happens and all the reviews go positive. Disney has been caught at “enter to win meet ups” of giving priority to press, and I called them out for that with Pandora. So it’s just another day. The story will last a day or two and then will be drowned out by D23 and Star Wars at DHS. Nobody will care, after D23, and that’s putting it mildly, since Disney is shoving themselves as a lifestyle down peoples throats. Look at the MCU, that’s not a franchise, that’s a lifestyle. To get the ‘whole story’ you have to dedicate over a month of your life to it. So again, Are we really all surprised? I mean, are we?
But what if the announcements at D23 are generally considered underwhelming or not in line with desires of the fandom? Would that not add more fuel to the fire? I understand that the usual sunshine pumpers will be focus on all the "positives" but even they have not been able to completely drown-out the bad press that DL's GE has generated.

EDIT: Although, given the twists of today, I'm not sure we can even sit here and say that the negative GE press is absent of any fingerprints of those at TWDC.

SteamboatJoe

Yes, I found that treatment of George K strange and a little spirit-y in its personal mockery.

Still, fascinating stuff. The thing I still don't get is why they would go to all this trouble to make Bob Chapek the fall guy for SWGE? If he wants to get rid of Chapek, surely Iger could just do it and the less said about disappointment with the performance of SWGE in public the better for everyone involved. It's not like Chapek is so beloved within the fan community that his exit would have caused months of boycotts and protests at Disneyland Resort without the pretext of missteps on SWGE...
I don't think it's a question of who has Chapek's support in the fan community, it's who supports him in the executive suites and/or board room.

Sir_Cliff

I don't think it's a question of who has Chapek's support in the fan community, it's who supports him in the executive suites and/or board room.
I suppose that does make sense if Iger has it out for Chapek. Obviously I would be terrible at corporate politics!

I'm still kind of shocked at the notion that Iger was behind Save Disney. At the time, I remember the sentiment was one of disappointment that Eisner was parachuting his trusty lieutenant Bob Iger into the CEO position.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I tend to believe the article but I also think Mr. Snyder has a huge agenda of his own. I think it is worth revisiting the previous article he did that got attention around here:

https://insightsandsounds.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-amazing-disappearing-article-disney.html

That article is very unfavorable towards Iger - i would argue and not even consistent with his performance at CEO - and also very insulting rather than being presented as objective.
Consider who the author actually is. I would say.

I do enjoy the drama though.

Gringrinngghost

But what if the announcements at D23 are generally considered underwhelming or not in line with desires of the fandom? Would that not add more fuel to the fire? I understand that the usual sunshine pumpers will be focus on all the "positives" but even they have not been able to completely drown-out the bad press that DL's GE has generated.

EDIT: Although, given the twists of today, I'm not sure we can even sit here and say that the negative GE press is absent of any fingerprints of those at TWDC.

We need to see how TDO handles it. The press will be better for DHS, especially since they are building a whole ethos around it, with the hotel. TDAs will most say that they opened too early to deliver a quality products to guests in a form of an apology. A lot of people do believe that Disney can do no wrong...

Gringrinngghost

clearly you felt the need to post by reading the thread title instead of actually reading the article. Read the actual article before you post.
@trainplane3 sent me the article at 2:48PM, Eastern time. So to your criticism, yes, I did read in fact read the article. There are people who are genuinely surprised that Disney would control their press in this manner, I mean what fortune 500 company doesn't

HmmmmmMMMmm

Multiple posters have come onto this site to warn what posters are here working for the company.
These posters are always banned or disappear.

Notice that a person who seems to comment on every thread, day or night without seeming to have time to sleep, hasn't posted anything on this thread? These posters in question always seem to be able to break rules by being out of line, mean, nasty, cruel, and rude without getting their posts deleted or getting banned from this site while people who last back at the aforementioned posters get their responses deleted. Ever wonder why?

There are multiple people who are employed by Disney to gas up some spin on this board and the other Disney boards. It is not hard to figure out who they are.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Dunno.. I don't recall Iger as being painted as an aggressor in that battle... but more being tapped on the shoulder. But I wasn't online active around Disney while that was real-time... going on recaps and retellings myself.
My recollection is that nobody considered Iger a serious contender because the Company was adamant about hiring someone from outside. Eisner’s Number Two getting the job was kind of a surprise that went rather unquestioned. Of course, the publicly reluctant leader who serves because he was asked, but secretly ran a campaign, is a very, very old political move.

SirLink

I will say that this is probably the best time for this. Big corporations are not your friends and to see elsewhere on the DIS-net to see their hot takes would make you question certain Webmasters integrity or their dumbness one way or another

Last edited:

WDW Guru

Al Lutz just came out of retirement to knock Bob Chapek around a bit over Star Wars Land.

And in the Lutz Update there's an interesting schematic of how the Resistance ride fits together. 🧐

Not sure how we feel about linking to Micechat, but it's there today as if it was still 2002 and Al Lutz was going after Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss.

I'd read him since 1996 until he left the scene a few years ago. His golden age was really 1999-2007 when DCA flopped and Disneyland was saved from the brink. His accuracy is generally top notch, especially in retrospect when at the time some of his critics (who have long since slunk into obscurity and/or proven to be lying shills) said he was off base.

The map of the C Ticket dark ride and the missing supper club restaurant is neat to look at, but the overview of the Resistance ride is also impressive. Bob Chapek has some explaining to do.

The same area exists in Disneyland too, the C Ticket schematic was overlaid onto the Disneyland map in that Miceage article.

But the point being made was that it will be nearly impossible, if not bring the land to a halt and chop it up into Constructionland for two years, to put the C Ticket back.

Now that's a great idea that could still work in the land! Mr. Chapek would never allow that type of expenditure though. :(

Sure. But where was the scum and villainy? :confused:

I was there for three hours and I saw two (2!) Stormtroopers wandering around, a few stressed out Cantina hostesses glaring at anyone who dared to approach their hostess stand, and about 150 bored CM's just staring into the middle distance and ignoring any park visitor or talking amongst themselves about how scheduling sucks for making them work July 4th and how crazy Katie's party was last weekend.

I saw plenty of artfully distressed walls and expertly rusted pipes, lots of carefully curated displays of static props. The drinking fountains were impressively designed! The uniforms the CM's wore were gorgeous! The land was aesthetically impressive and obviously well designed to handle huge crowds of people.

But scum and villainy? I've encountered more scum and villainy at the 24 hour auto parts store on the other side of the freeway than I did at Star Wars Land. No scum, no villainy, no personality of any kind really, just lots of static displays and quiet vignettes.

I thought these were some interesting posts from who we now know as Troy Porter. Awful lot of Chapek bashing on the SWGE side of things.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Multiple posters have come onto this site to warn what posters are here working for the company.
These posters are always banned or disappear.

Notice that a person who seems to comment on every thread, day or night without seeming to have time to sleep, hasn't posted anything on this thread? These posters in question always seem to be able to break rules by being out of line, mean, nasty, cruel, and rude without getting their posts deleted or getting banned from this site. Ever wonder why?

There are multiple people who are employed by Disney to gas up some spin on this board and the other Disney boards. It is not hard to figure out who they are.
The owner of this site (and the other mods) are pretty lenient with what is posted, and where, as long as it doesn’t violate and of the Terms & Conditions....

VJ

I thought these were some interesting posts from who we now know as Troy Porter. Awful lot of Chapek bashing on the SWGE side of things.
We still aren't sure that the TP2000 posting here is Troy Porter. I believe that TP said a while back that the "TP" in his name stood for Theme Park... so... he might not actually be Troy Porter? Then again, that could be a diversion.

I dunno. There's not enough proof to me though the logic adds up.

Indy_UK

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
We still aren't sure that the TP2000 posting here is Troy Porter. I believe that TP said a while back that the "TP" in his name stood for Theme Park... so... he might not actually be Troy Porter? Then again, that could be a diversion.

I dunno. There's not enough proof to me though the logic adds up.

I mean, the article links to one of his posts here...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom