News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

Magic Feather

Didn’t know @TP2000 was Troy Porter, but it makes sense (hindsight is always 20/20). Heard quite a lot about him lately. While I don’t know enough to verify this all, I have an inkling that George’s role was overplayed a bit. Other than that...

EDIT: I have left the original post so as not to alter the past. That said, I would like to formally retract this statement as it was based on a statement from a biased source of mine that had advance knowledge of this article. Unfortunately, I am currently reviewing any other information I have received from this source to ensure that it is accurate. The Art of Marvel thread is based on info from someone else that I still have the utmost confidence in. -Feather

Last edited:

Snow Queen

If this is true, it raises the question: how else are they doing this? If they're doing it with their theme park fandom, I find it hard not to expect they're also involved in the conversation for their films, Marvel and Star Wars. But none of those seem to have a particular blogger personality like Lutz that could be used.

Nemo14

Also being discussed here:- starts on page 18

Touchdown

If this is true, it raises the question: how else are they doing this? If they're doing it with their theme park fandom, I find it hard not to expect they're also involved in the conversation for their films, Marvel and Star Wars. But none of those seem to have a particular blogger personality like Lutz that could be used.

There are many youtube movie channels/reviewers who are very pro Disney and have been accused as such multiple times. I would like to think that they aren’t involved, but a well known Collider personality went on a live rant about Disney not inviting him to SWGE premier that made a huge stir back in June.

tirian

Original Poster
Also being discussed here:- starts on page 18
I saw that but figured the bigger picture deserves its own thread. The mods can do whatever they want with this one. :)

flynnibus

Premium Member

They are certainly doing it for marketing and 'community building' and controlling the message. The big play here is insiders playing both sides of the field and "directly" undermining and attacking elements of the company.

The movie industry is well known for this kind of cut throat 'leaks', etc.. the parks & resort side less so.. especially from such a high level. Usually the leaks are more about individuals trying to use the public to help influence some decision/outcome for individual projects, etc.. this is bigger in the sense the sock puppet was picked from a geniue start... and reportedly cultivated and turned.. and kept it up for nearly two decades. That's impressive.

Normally this kind of puppeteering is done internally.. but successfully using the Disneyland faithful.. so convincingly..

impressive.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn’t even question who AL was (is?)

Al is still Al. We just know who was using him to manipulate us now..

The timing is also weird with GE underperforming and D23 this week.

The timing is perfect... they let a Lutz piece go right after the end of year report showing the weakness in P&R... leading up to the D23 event and the next huge milestone (SWGE in DHS) and this comes in like Cap Marvel with a ship destroying uppercut :)

britain

The expose I suppose is to undermine Iger/Zenia's manipulation . The questions about succession are still yet to be answered.. this is the time to blow up the chess board before they get too far along.
So, like hypothetically, Iger feeds the Chapek-damning content to Al via Zenia/Porter. Chapek catches wind of this (maybe even formally is told by Iger that he will be taking the fall for GE) so... Chapek reaches out to Gary Snyder (via George K?) as a counter-attack?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So, like hypothetically, Iger feeds the Chapek-damning content to Al via Zenia/Porter. Chapek catches wind of this (maybe even formally is told by Iger that he will be taking the fall for GE) so... Chapek reaches out to Gary Snyder (via George K?) as a counter-attack?

I don't think the Gary Snyder personality even needs that last motivation... Imagine you're holding onto this info for a decade plus... just waiting.. and calculating when is the right time to play your pieces.

"manipulating the fan community" alone is not enough of a juicy bit... "manipulated your way to the top 15 years ago.." isn't enough of a tale on its on to really do harm after such a successful run. Iger is basically untouchable based on his stock performance. So how do you get at them?? You disrupt his attempt to pick his successor I guess.

If Chapek really was being groomed (I don't think so.. but I don't have anything real to back that).. the timing of the recent events gives a nice window to use this info to expose the process I guess.

When you have dirt... and the dirt alone isn't strong enough to take someone down.. you have to be a bit more of an opportunist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom