News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

Animaniac93-98

If I were going to attempt influence from the outside, it would be through YouTube, not a message board.

Not specific to the article in the original thread, but people do take information from boards like these and repackage it for YouTube. So in theory someone could post in a thread with the assumption that the info could go viral elsewhere on social media (no guarantee though).

YouTube by its nature is more visual, and requires more time to produce content and involves either showing your face or having your voice recorded. Joining a forum to post info like this is faster, easier and more anonymous.

Also the Medium article alleges this all started years before YouTube was even a thing.

_caleb

If I were going to attempt influence from the outside, it would be through YouTube, not a message board.

But Spirit is not a YouTube master. He is however a very good writer. He is able to use his masterful vocabulary to sway and manipulate unwitting Disney fans into pitchfork wielding mobs.

Yeah, I think the message boards are the way to the YouTubers. Have you seen how all the bloggers and vloggers take something they saw from an Insider here and turn it into a clickbait video?

I used to subscribe to a bunch of Disney vlogger channels on YouTube, but it was all the same stuff I was reading here from @marni1971 (with the addition of poorly-done bumpers, a sharp "HEY GUYZ!" to start each video, and then the incessant "Hit that subscribe button..." at the end).

I'm genuinely curious about this whole thing, though. What's the game plan? How many Disney-sponsored people are involved in this? Is it like a call center in India with child workers logged in to multiple WDWMagic accounts debating how bad SW:GE is? I'm pretty sure I've seen people post responses to themselves because they forgot which account what arguing from which side.

Or maybe they're all 65 year-old former Cast Members at home in bathrobes drinking martinis and dishing behind-the-scenes Disney corporate drama? What else do they do all day? Are there meetings where Zenia gives out talking points and updates the playbook? How much money does one make in this line of work?

Oh, and the biggest question I have: how can everyone on here just go back to normal discussion after the whole Lutz/Porter/Spirit/Snyder revelation? @TP2000 and @WDW Pro are really nice people- why aren't more of you asking questions?

disneyflush

Oh, and the biggest question I have: how can everyone on here just go back to normal discussion after the whole Lutz/Porter/Spirit/Snyder revelation? @TP2000 and @WDW Pro are really nice people- why aren't more of you asking questions?

People ultimately want to discuss the thing they love. As long as the destination is still there in Orlando everything else is really just noise.

Thelazer

I'm genuinely curious about this whole thing, though. What's the game plan? How many Disney-sponsored people are involved in this? Is it like a call center in India with child workers logged in to multiple WDWMagic accounts debating how bad SW:GE is? I'm pretty sure I've seen people post responses to themselves because they forgot which account what arguing from which side.

Go over to celebration and look at green office buildings...

KevinPage

For what’s it worth on my 5th visit to the land at HS this past week, I was able to go alone (no kids) and from inside the main entrance I did hear theme music playing (might have been the John Williams piece?).

Also noticed much more ambient sounds of ships, people hacking things and Troopers above the landspeeder area (and generally roaming with Kylo more).

Any “problems” that people claim the land has are easily fixed by adding more characters, so as long as they commit the $$$, its a quick correction. The infrastructure is already there for all of this to take place as well, so it literally can happen overnight if they chose to.

I do think it would be wise to:

1. give a bit more pomp and circumstance to the main entrance

2. add a bunch more sounds of ships taking off/landing to the Toy Story connection area.

3. having music from Oga’s (or sounds of chatter) pumped outside to give that energized feeling to that immediate area

4. Add a subdued soundtrack to the marketplace. Most real shopping centers these days have music all over the place, so you can add this without breaking any immersion.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom