News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

wdwtopten

Can’t quite tell if you’re being sarcastic here or not, so I apologize in advance if I’m misunderstanding you here. No, there is no background music in most of GE. Instead, they play in-universe sound effects such as x-wings and TIE fighters flying overhead, droids beeping and bopping, various devices broadcasting radio transmissions, and voices coming out of overhead windows. It’s been one of the more divisive creative decisions in the land. I’m personally a huge fan of this; others feel that they should have used John Williams’ score a la Harry Potter.

I was honestly asking. I haven't yet been and I have been avoiding YouTube videos and such so that my first visit is as unspoiled as possible.

Tom Morrow

Ever since this thread there's been a huge influx of extremely negative new posters that are here to bash the hell out of SWGE.

If you aren't paid shills (you probably are), you're actively looking for things to hate the land for because you're so broken that you wanted to hate it.

Mickeyboof

Ever since this thread there's been a huge influx of extremely negative new posters that are here to bash the hell out of SWGE.

If you aren't paid shills (you probably are), you're actively looking for things to hate the land for because you're so broken that you wanted to hate it.

I wish I were getting paid to critique the land :(

drizgirl

What? You think people are being paid to say bad things about SWGE?

tirian

Original Poster
Yes. That's literally what this thread is about. Check the very first post.
Not quite...the author alleges that Bob Iger and Zenia Munich paid people to badmouth Eisner on fan forums, thereby helping Iger oust his former boss and get the position of CEO. It’s quite the conspiracy tale, which is why I posted it with zero comments. But enough people with deep inside knowledge have made enough comments to make me think the story could have its merits.

tirian

Original Poster
This doesn't surprise me at all! Disney tries to control everything and everyone to the extreme! Including paying people off and intimidation!

Disney absolutely monitors fan forums and occasionally plants comments, but the company doesn’t have to try as hard as it did a decade ago.

Today, Disney enjoys a diehard fan base that will creepily defend any business decision simply because they grew up singing Disney songs and loving movies created by a completely different set of people running a different sort of business.

Tom Morrow

Not quite...the author alleges that Bob Iger and Zenia Munich paid people to badmouth Eisner on fan forums, thereby helping Iger oust his former boss and get the position of CEO. It’s quite the conspiracy tale, which is why I posted it with zero comments. But enough people with deep inside knowledge have made enough comments to make me think the story could have its merits.
The article also insinuates that the reason "Al Lutz" came out of retirement to suddenly bash Galaxy's Edge was for the same reasons as before, only now directed at Chapek.

tirian

Original Poster
The article also insinuates that the reason "Al Lutz" came out of retirement to suddenly bash Galaxy's Edge was for the same reasons as before, only now directed at Chapek.
I forgot about that; and to be honest, I do raise an eyebrow at how many comments blame “Cheap-out Chapek” for the SWGE failure, and conveniently ignore the parks are doing exactly what Iger wants.

But somebody’s gotta be the fall guy, right?

I want to know if this article made any waves within the offices throughout Hollywood. It was clearly written as insider gossip. I also doubt Snider was interested in protecting Chapek; he seemed to emphasize the twisted internal politics more than anything else.

TrojanUSC

Noises from droids that aren’t there. Sounds of ships flying around that aren’t there. Bodiless voices on the radio during the Falcon queue. Where *is* everyone!?

These are poor creative choices. Very poor.

As discussed (endlessly) in other threads, I don’t believe anyone wants the movie soundtracks on a loop, being pulled from Spotify. In-world music is fine by me. Music that sounds natural is fine.

What’s missing are the VITAL musical themes by Williams, not the songs as a whole. But the motifs and themes are just necessary to sell the theme park land. Batuu isn’t real, you can tell by the fat people and the name tags.

But why can’t the wind chimes sometimes magically sound like Leia’s Theme? Why can’t there be in-world music in the marketplace that sometimes has a Williams motif? Without it, all you hear is that damn steam sound from Ronto Roasters?

In the forest, on the wind you should hear music that tells you YOURE in the REISTANCE base!! Just like the movies would set up the scene.

It’s a theme park land!!

I wish at Harry Potter more original soundscapes were recorded. It does sound like the movie score. It’s a bit annoying to hear hedwigs theme while drinking at hog’s head. But It works in the streets and shops, when the music is dedicated to the story.

For all the “story” promised at Batuu, there IS no story. Funny how that worked out.

Agreed. There needs to be a bit more of an "epic" arrival into the land in the form of soaring music, followed by more tonally appropriate music throughout the land. The current effects are fine, but they shouldn't replace music outright. I think of Main Street USA where, for example, some of the upper windows have unique sound effects coming out of them (i.e. piano music coming out of a music school). It's the intense level of detail that works.

WDW Pro

It's a bogus piece of other-worldly narcissism. The idea that Bob Iger would care one iota about tiny fan forums online is absurd and juvenile.

Tom Morrow

It's a bogus piece of other-worldly narcissism. The idea that Bob Iger would care one iota about tiny fan forums online is absurd and juvenile.
It's juvenile to think that Bog Iger (or anyone in a high ranking position) got to where they are without stabbing a few backs and playing dirty. If you were going to manipulate public opinion, doing it anonymously in fan communities wouldn't be the worst way.

Paid by whom?
...Disney? Or perhaps Disney's enemies. There sure is a lot of "Universal is totally doing so much better than Disney you guys, because reasons!" going on on this forum lately.

TrojanUSC

That's true when it comes to fan forums. Al Lutz was a different animal He genuinely used to get under their skin because he became the "critic of record" for real journalistic outlets (WSJ, NYT, etc), as they'd quote him on the record. Whether or not that translated into ghostwriting for him, I have no idea but I do know he was a real thorn in their side for a good amount of time.

LSLS

Honestly, they opened a land with one attraction, and cut a bunch of the atmosphere and entertainment that was supposed to be there. In a forum that has more people who are angry at the direction the company has been going in over the past 10-15 years than not, you are surprised it has been latched onto and think they all must be paid shills?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom