Experiencing WDW as an adult

HopLow

Original Poster
I've just booked a trip to WDW with a friend of mine for January. This will be her first trip to WDW, so obviously I want to make sure she has a great time. Actually, I am shocked that she wanted to go because she's not exactly the typical "Disney" type. She leads a very minimalistic way of life (she does not own a tv or computer) and has been in the Peace Corps and backpacked through South America. When we talked about taking a trip together, I thought she'd try and steer me toward hostels in Ecuador. However, I VERY much enjoy the comforts of modern America and my idea of "roughing it" is having a hotel room with a weak ac unit. Imagine my shock when I suggested Disney and she agreed! So I'm trying to plan a sort of trip that's a bit more grown-up and geared toward things she would like.

She likes different types of food, so I've already made ADRs at Kouzzina and Jiko, which she is very excited about. And she's actually excited about the rides too, but I don't want her to see WDW as a theme park as much as a complete experience.

What would you guys do to gear a trip more toward an adult perspective? And yes, I plan on taking her drinking around the world! :p

castevens

Well the fact that she's excited makes a huge difference. My family and my wife's family are big Disney nuts but my sister's fiance has never been, and we've always talked about taking him. My sister has shown him all the rides on Youtube (all the while we're saying "but it's not the same to BE there!!") and he seems apathetic at best. I think he'd have a good time, but not the same as us. The nostalgic factor accounts for a big portion of our longing to be there.

I was thinking when I saw the title of this thread that I would be talking about how to tip-toe around the nostalgic factor and hopefully have the adult enjoy their time at Disney, but it sounds like she's really excited to go, so just go along with it! Spend time at Epcot as it is more appealing to adults, and when you do go to MK, explain why you love the rides and if she shows no interest in them, go along with it.

bgraham34

Whatever you do don't do a tour. I think as a first time trip it would completely ruin the magic. If she has any favorite characters at all, try and do a character meal.

jakeman

I've just booked a trip to WDW with a friend of mine for January. This will be her first trip to WDW, so obviously I want to make sure she has a great time. Actually, I am shocked that she wanted to go because she's not exactly the typical "Disney" type. She leads a very minimalistic way of life (she does not own a tv or computer) and has been in the Peace Corps and backpacked through South America. When we talked about taking a trip together, I thought she'd try and steer me toward hostels in Ecuador. However, I VERY much enjoy the comforts of modern America and my idea of "roughing it" is having a hotel room with a weak ac unit. Imagine my shock when I suggested Disney and she agreed! So I'm trying to plan a sort of trip that's a bit more grown-up and geared toward things she would like.

She likes different types of food, so I've already made ADRs at Kouzzina and Jiko, which she is very excited about. And she's actually excited about the rides too, but I don't want her to see WDW as a theme park as much as a complete experience.

What would you guys do to gear a trip more toward an adult perspective? And yes, I plan on taking her drinking around the world! :p
What time of year are you planning on going?

In addition to Jiko, I would recommend Sanaa.

Also you might want to consider picking up the Imagineering Field Guides for each of the parks. They will provide insights to make it seem like less of an amusement park and more of the complete experience you're looking for.

Scooter

If she's not the "Disney type" then you need to convert her.

Here's some suggestions.

Do the American Adventure attraction at Epcot. Be sure to include the singers in the pre-show.

Do at least one meet and greet. Any character will do. She will "Get" the excitment and feel like a part of it all.

Buy a pin, Any pin. Then give it to a child. Everyone wins. The expression on that childs face will convert her for sure.

Have a few drinks and be sure to watch Illuminations.

Have fun!

pixiesteno

My DH never experienced WDW until he was 42 years old. I didn't really have to plan special things at all, WDW just worked the magic on him. After 3 days he was , "we're coming back here!" I took my SIL for her first trip in 2008 and I won't give her age; she'd kill me. I saw the kid in her come through the very first night as soon as the first 'rocket' of Wishes went off.
However, I would suggest taking some time to explore at DD. Book a meal at one of the restaurants. We are trying Raglan Road for the first time this trip; I can't wait. Don't discount great counter service meals either. There are dinner shows also. Definately do the meet n greets. She may surprise you and really get into it! Explore different resorts, hang by the pool, watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly, people watch - that's always entertaining, etc. Remember, just because they haven't experienced WDW as child doesn't mean they won't love it. I like it better than when I was a kid, but those were the days of having to keep track of how many E tickets you had left!:animwink:

sueuk

The American Adventure, One Man's Dream, Animation Studio, Hall of Presidents, Cirque du Soleil, The Boardwalk at night, The Conservation area at DAK .....

foreverbelle

Here's some suggestions.

Do the American Adventure attraction at Epcot. Be sure to include the singers in the pre-show.

Do at least one meet and greet. Any character will do. She will "Get" the excitment and feel like a part of it all.

Buy a pin, Any pin. Then give it to a child. Everyone wins. The expression on that childs face will convert her for sure.

Have a few drinks and be sure to watch Illuminations.

Have fun!

OK the pin idea is fabulous. May have to do this myself next go around.

SAV

Maybe you should start out at AK. It's less theme parky and obviously nature related. It is a park to experience and not just ride after ride. Don't overwhelm her with MK on the first day. I would also let her dictate some of the pace or at least let her give her input on things. Then you can counter on why it would be better to do this or that and the reason why. That way you aren't just dragging her around everywhere. If she wants to spend time on the Pagnani trail, then let her explore it all...heck maybe you will experience something new along the way too.

It would also offer you the earlier closing than MK or Epcot so she isn't overwhelmed on the first day.

However you do it, it should be a great trip.

HopLow

Original Poster

Scooter, you are a genius! :lol:

I am going to try as hard as I can not to overwhelm her, but sometimes it's hard because I get so excited! I was definitely concerned with the whole nostaligia thing that castevens was mentioning, because about half of why I love Disney so much is that I relate it to memories of being there when I was a kid. Maybe if I just relax a liiiiiittle bit on vacation (what??? :eek:) and let her get into the magic, that might be better.

Thank you all for your suggestions!!! :wave:

Mukta

I took my mom with me last year. Not only does she not like Disney, she doesn't really like theme parks.
I didn't go in trying to convert her. I went in trying to see things through her eyes and finding what she would appreciate about the place I love.

She loved swinging on the Beach Club beach early in the morning when it was quiet.

She loved the Behind the Seeds tour where she could learn about how they are trying to feed more people with fewer plants.

She loved the Conservation station at AK where she learned about Disney trying to help with endangered animals and healing the ones they have.

So think about what your friend loves to do in her real life. I guarantee Disney has a version of it there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom