Expedition Everest Thrill Factor?

chimo2u

Original Poster
Is this ride overly scary as a roller coaster? I am somewhat cautious as i get older :lol:, I will attempt the occasional coaster, as long as there are no upside down loops or overly large drops. I know my husband and kids will probably be trying to drag me on this! I have no problem doing Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, Space mountain (I did when I was 20 about 17 yrs ago when i visited DL in california). It was ok back then, but for some reason, I feel I'll have to even talk myself onto it again this time! I told you, I'm getting really cautious. I just don't get a thrill out of being really scared. I don't want to be a party pooper and not try it if the family wants to, but I also don't want to be scared to tears! Can you give me an honest opinion of the scariness of this coaster ride? Two rides I DEFINITELY will be bypassing are: Rockin Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror!!! Now those are definitely out of my league!!!:eek::eek:
Marie

Doombuggy13

Ok, I'm a roller coaster freak. So I'm biased. As far as EE goes, I've been on much taller coasters, and much faster coasters but EE is a total experience. I believe the tallest drop is only around 80 feet. What's different about Everest is that you stop on a hill, shoot backwards and up another hill in the dark, stop on that hill and watch the shadow of the Yeti tear up the track, and then are released forward for the remainder of the ride. I see it as more of a curvy, winding roller coaster, rather than a lose your stomach all out hill drop coaster. A moderate coaster with super cool effects that make it a must ride, you really need to see the Yeti animatronic in the last tunnel, it's awesome. Please try to ride EE. at least once, just to appreciate the realistic atmosphere the Imagineers achieved with this attraction.
PS There are no loops or corkscrews.

Tom Morrow

If you feel that Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster are too intense for you, then you should probably bypass Everest. A few parts have some strong forces and they are pretty intense for a Disney coaster. Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, by comparison, is only intense for the first 10 seconds or so.

Disney_Freak429

Not exactly

If you feel that Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster are too intense for you, then you should probably bypass Everest. A few parts have some strong forces and they are pretty intense for a Disney coaster. Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, by comparison, is only intense for the first 10 seconds or so.

I agree that EE does have that portion (while going backwards) where it feels like you are on MS Orange for 4-5 sec. but RnR goes upside down multi times. As some who isn't a coaster fan (I do Big Thunder & Space but anything at Six Flags or other parks not as much except "kiddie coasters" No RnR for upside down reason also) go watch an on ride video on youtube. After watching it & realizing you have that one portion of slight discomfort you should be fine there are no "huge drops". The largest drop is the one you see in the front of EE & its curved so it doesn't feel large at all. So if you can handle 3-4 sec. of being pushed back into your seat & the drop you see out of the front of EE you will be fine. Enjoy your trip I know the sheer size of EE can be freaky but after watching the youtube video the ONLY part that was a surprise & didn't feel wonderful was the backwards portion but it was fun even with the slight uncomfort of it. :animwink:

Tom Morrow

But it has longer periods of strong forces than the other WDW coasters, which is an intense feeling to some people.

JonathanDS

I agree. I would say its tamer than Space Mountain as well.

I have to agree... the newer coasters are larger and faster, but in all they have a more comfortable ride. The technology in developing coasters are designed more towards making it a more enjoyable ride than just whipping you around.

I found the secret to the Tower of Terror... relax. Don't tense up. Just go nice and limp, the experience is like floating if you're relaxed... very nice. If you tense up, you'll leave your stomach on the 13th floor like most everyone else.

Jonathan

doop

The most intense thing about EE is going backwards, other than that, I think it's a relatively tame ride.

RiversideBunny

1. Yes.

2. Keeping that in mind, you will do all three on your next trip to WDW.

:)

DonaldDoleWhip

I'm having the same problem as the OP; I'm just not sure if I can handle the ride. I like Mission Space (I'm okay with both versions), Test Track, BTM, and Splash Mountain. However, I've always been too scared for Space Mountain, ToT, RnRC, and EE.

I may try EE during my next trip in January, but I do have some questions.

1. What is the backwards part like? Is it really bad?
2. What is the ride like after the big drop?

Testtrack321

I'm having the same problem as the OP; I'm just not sure if I can handle the ride. I like Mission Space (I'm okay with both versions), Test Track, BTM, and Splash Mountain. However, I've always been too scared for Space Mountain, ToT, RnRC, and EE.

I still think RnR is the baddest coaster at WDW (launch, inversions, etc) in terms of forces, but EE is the baddest in terms of atmosphere and total ride thanks to the mountain, Yeti, etc.

I've been on many coasters, and on a scale of 1-10 of all of them, I'd say EE is a 5, not the tame kiddie ones, but nothing like the 420 foot 120 mph ones.

My mom hates big drops (and that feeling in your stomach) and loved EE, she wanted to ride it again and again. So take that for what it's worth.

KeithVH

Yeah, after all the hype, when I rode EE, I was really let down. I was expecting something like no other ride and I just wasn't impressed. I can think of 20-year old coasters (like Loch Ness or Bid Bad Wolf in Virginia) that are much more fun.

Disney_Freak429

To answer your questions

1. If you have been on MS Orange its like that only for a much shorter amount of time (3-5sec.) If you can handle the bit of force its fine you just go down and around a corner or two.

2. After the drop you see coming out of the front of EE (which is the largest of the drops) you go into a cave area with the Yeti & than the ride is done.

Like I said if you can handle being pushed back into your seat for a short amount of time you will have a blast. Space on the other hand is tame but gives me a headache with the noise of the track. So for Space have some Advil just in case & go for it.

Eyekimore

It's really not too bad. You feel the track switch before you go backwards- you just brace yourself (and close your eyes) it goes quickly. Then you'll feel the track switch again and prepare yourself for the big drop. There are a few tight turns after that- but hang on and you should be fine.

Jeff456

I am sure it will be fine its a brand new ride, and is pretty smooth. The scariest ride i have been on, and i have been on a lot of rollercoasters is the wild mouse ride at blackpool pleasure beach it probably only goes 15-20 mph with like a 20 foot drop but i felt like i was going to die as the ride is over 50 years old.

Disney_Freak429

I wanted to note it doesn't matter if you close your eyes at the backwards portion since in the dark you can't really tell which way your turning anyways. ;)

EMThompsen

If I can do EE anyone can do EE. But I think you should try some of the other rides you have been on before & see how they effect you now. If you can take them then go on EE. I hope you do go on EE. It's really fun
Good Luck & have a great trip

teebin

One, I have ridden EE countless times. But the first time, I must confess that I found the backwards section as unnerving as any ride I have been on... including hulk, rnrc, dd red blue. It lasts much longer than you expect it could (8-10 seconds) in total darkness backwards at 30-40mph in a double helix. In 4 seconds you will be asking yourself, WHEN IS THIS GOING TO STOP?!?! Since then, I just love to listen to the screems of others on the backward section even though it still holds a slight unnerve on me.

Other than unnerving, it shouldn't be missed, it is a top notch well thought out show/ride and very unique to all of Disney's holdings. If you have a weak head and a good heart, do it. If you have a strong head and a possible heart condition (get that ekg!). Please don't!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom