News Expedition Everest refurbishment in 2022

Bleed0range

They’ve worked on it. It’s relatively easy to reach, and has been removed and put back.

I thought Joe Rohde said in a video somewhere that it was incredibly hard to fix the Yeti. If they’ve been able to remove and put back the Yeti, what’s the reason they cannot fix him? What’s the major problem? Is it that the foundation is what needs repairing and not the Yeti itself?

ohioguy

To heck with the Yeti. Will they ever do something to the back of this ride so its actually completed? What an eye-sore!

ToTBellHop

I don't think I've ever seen the back of the ride! Where are you looking at it from?
1631189885884.jpeg
The tenth Wonder of the World: the backside of Everest!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I thought Joe Rohde said in a video somewhere that it was incredibly hard to fix the Yeti. If they’ve been able to remove and put back the Yeti, what’s the reason they cannot fix him? What’s the major problem? Is it that the foundation is what needs repairing and not the Yeti itself?
IIRC, there was discussion about how the yeti's arm reaching out over the track was some kind of safety issue.

ImperfectPixie

IIRC, there was discussion about how the yeti's arm reaching out over the track was some kind of safety issue.
My understanding was that the forces generated by the Yeti's movement 1) cracked the foundation he sits on, but 2) are also such that it was damaging to the Yeti itself. I could be wrong.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
My understanding was that the forces generated by the Yeti's movement 1) cracked the foundation he sits on, but 2) are also such that it was damaging to the Yeti itself. I could be wrong.
That's part of the safety concerns -- should the arm break, or the hydro fail, the arm might impinge on the track and its safety area, which, to quote Dr Peter Venkmann, "would be bad."

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Foundation is fine. Politics and money.

lazyboy97o

This is a dumb question but what is wrong with the Yeti? Why did it break right after opening and no one caught it in testing? This is a real question
The problem was discovered during testing. The solution was a lot more labor intensive maintenance which exceeded the amount the park had agreed to perform on the figure. Nothing has happened because the park says Walt Disney Imagineering should pay for the fix because they delivered a figure that met operating criteria and Walt Disney Imagineering says the park should pay for the fix because they didn’t perform the maintenance they were told to perform.

Tom Morrow

View attachment 585750The tenth Wonder of the World: the backside of Everest!

It's not really that bad. You used to be able to see it from the parking lot but really can't anymore since the trees have gotten taller. You can only see this from certain hotels and Blizzard Beach now. I think the Avatar building is a bigger issue now as its blatantly visible for anyone who rides in on a bus. See also: Galaxy's Edge being blatantly visible from World Drive with no attempt to hide it.

comics101

They’ve worked on it. It’s relatively easy to reach, and has been removed and put back.
I have never understood how fans could believe the rumor that the Yeti figure was too far out of reach to fix or that it could not be removed from its chamber. Disney's construction/engineering units may take a really long time to build new projects, but they're not stupid lol. Of course they're not going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a massive animatronic only to realize after the fact that if it ever needed fixing, it would be unreachable.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom