News Expedition Everest refurbishment in 2022

TikibirdLand

It’ll be so cool to see them lift off the entire top half of the mountain to get to it.
I call urban legend on that. I know Old Joe says that. But, they've replaced complete roller coaster tracks on SM. And, I've changed the water pump on an '09 Camry. So, it CAN be done. Whether certain powers see value in it is another.

If you want it done, Bob Gurr can take care of it for you on his coffee break. When you talk to him, tell him we want Kongfrontation back!

Stupido

I do agree this would be a surefire way for Bob Chapek to try and win over long time fans who have grown disenchanted with the company. It very well could be hail mary that would require relatively low effort on his end to try and fix his image. With all of the 50th cuts, and the "record breaking success" they've been having, theoretically they could do it? Do I think it'll happen? No. But could I see Bob being narcissistic enough to take on one of the most talked about mishaps in WDW just to try and get some respect on his name? absolutely.

TikibirdLand

I do agree this would be a surefire way for Bob Chapek to try and win over long time fans who have grown disenchanted with the company. It very well could be hail mary that would required relatively low effort on his end to try and fix his image. With all of the 50th cuts, and the "record breaking success" they've been having, theoretically they could do it? Do I think it'll happen? No. But could I see Bob being narcissistic enough to take on one of the most talked about mishaps in WDW just to try and get some respect on his name? absolutely.
They're preparing the quote now: No DME, No Housekeeping, No HoopyDoo... Well, at least we fixed the Yeti. You can have a LL+ for it for only $15 -- only after you paid $15 for the app!

co10064

Premium Member
Today I visited DAK, and I have to say, the lack of Everest really exposed this park's weak links. I love Animal Kingdom, and we had a fun time today, but today really proved to me how necessary an expansion is at this park. Today was "sold out" in the sense that no reservations were available, and the lines for most attractions were very long (headliners FOP hovered around 120 minutes and Safari around 90). We were able to pad out our day with shows and trails, but we definitely would have been looking for stuff to do if we wanted to stay until park close. Even the loss of Primeval Whirl exasperated the issue. If they were thinking they would have planned an Everest refurb while PW was still up and running...

yensidtlaw1969

I call urban legend on that. I know Old Joe says that. But, they've replaced complete roller coaster tracks on SM. And, I've changed the water pump on an '09 Camry. So, it CAN be done. Whether certain powers see value in it is another.

If you want it done, Bob Gurr can take care of it for you on his coffee break. When you talk to him, tell him we want Kongfrontation back!
Lazyboy is, of course, joking. But boy, that myth about needing to rip open the Mountain to fix the Yeti won't die.

Disney makes occassional mistakes, but accidentally designing a huge show element without any maintenance access is not one of them.

Now, whether or not they choose to USE that maintenance access is another story . . . but the Yeti can be (and, we have on good authority, has been) removed without cutting open the mountain. Much like the way it was installed inside after the mountain was closed. People seem to forget that part - the Mountain was not built around the Animatronic.

Centauri Space Station

Today I visited DAK, and I have to say, the lack of Everest really exposed this park's weak links. I love Animal Kingdom, and we had a fun time today, but today really proved to me how necessary an expansion is at this park. Today was "sold out" in the sense that no reservations were available, and the lines for most attractions were very long (headliners FOP hovered around 120 minutes and Safari around 90). We were able to pad out our day with shows and trails, but we definitely would have been looking for stuff to do if we wanted to stay until park close. Even the loss of Primeval Whirl exasperated the issue. If they were thinking they would have planned an Everest refurb while PW was still up and running...
I only rode EE once and always enjoy DAK

_caleb

Lazyboy is, of course, joking. But boy, that myth about needing to rip open the Mountain to fix the Yeti won't die.

Disney makes occassional mistakes, but accidentally designing a huge show element without any maintenance access is not one of them.

Now, whether or not they choose to USE that maintenance access is another story . . . but the Yeti can be (and, we have on good authority, has been) removed without cutting open the mountain. Much like the way it was installed inside after the mountain was closed. People seem to forget that part - the Mountain was not built around the Animatronic.
I think the reason that myth has endured is that Disney appreciates the cover it provides. Even if it makes them look foolish, ”they simply cannot remove/repair the Yeti” sounds so much better than ”they just can’t be bothered to fix it.”

castlecake2.0

I noticed quite a few days where studios was unblocked for cast but not DAK, further pointing to the fact they know this park’s capacity is lacking quite a bit right now

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I was at DAK on Friday evening and noticed this. Once the park hits the evening hours, there is very, very, little to do. The last Celebration of FOLK was at 5, the last safari departed at 6:45 (“due to early sunset”), the last bird show had long since happened, there was no Nemo, the train was done for the day, Pangani had closed, Kite Tails was finished, and Everest was closed. Even the absence of Primeval Whirl, as you mention, had a noticeable impact. They were literally down to about 7 things to do- FOP, Navi River Journey, Dinosaur, Tough to be a Bug, Kali, and maybe one or two other things I’m forgetting. There’s nothing keeping anyone in that park after about 5:00. Sad state of affairs.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I was at DAK on Friday evening and noticed this. Once the park hits the evening hours, there is very, very, little to do. The last Celebration of FOLK was at 5, the last safari departed at 6:45 (“due to early sunset”), the last bird show had long since happened, there was no Nemo, the train was done for the day, Pangani had closed, Kite Tails was finished, and Everest was closed. Even the absence of Primeval Whirl, as you mention, had a noticeable impact. They were literally down to about 7 things to do- FOP, Navi River Journey, Dinosaur, Tough to be a Bug, Kali, and maybe one or two other things I’m forgetting. There’s nothing keeping anyone in that park after about 5:00. Sad state of affairs.
Didn't they used to keep the Safari open at night pre-pandemic?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom