Expedition Everest is SCARY!

mathmagic

I was disappointed after riding EE for the first time last week. I think RnR is much faster and exciting. I admit to be a little scared by the yeti only because I didn't know when he was coming, what he would look like, or what he was going to do, but all in all I was not impressed. My biggest complaint is that unless you are in the first row you can't see very much because of the huge seatbacks in front of you. I'm not very tall, so maybe that makes a difference, but all I saw most of the time was a brown plastic seatback. I couldn't even see the drop.

supapampam

wdwcp2000 said:
I can't wait to ride it - - people find all different things scary. I love R&RC but get sick looking at the tea cups, lol

I'm with you -- Tea Cups = Spinning = :hurl:

LOVE Everest - can't wait to go on it again in June.

mellybear

I loved the ride. I went on it 3 times.. The first time was in the dark and I was in the front row.. We went for the EMH the first night we arrived. It was cool. I didnt read anything about it, I wanted it all to be a surprise. I was really, really scared (but I like being scared, so its ok for me). I cant wait to go back on. If I can up load my pic from the ride I will. My mom insisted on buying it, my family couldnt stop laughing at me. :lol:

mayrag

I am sorry you have this experience. I've never rode it, and I'm riding it next Tuesday 5/23...so I'll let all know my experience.

Now I am a little worried about the dark...I hate being in dark places

PintoColvig

mayrag said:
I am sorry you have this experience. I've never rode it, and I'm riding it next Tuesday 5/23...so I'll let all know my experience.

Now I am a little worried about the dark...I hate being in dark places

You're not in the dark for very long. I'd say about 10 sec. when going backwards and another 10 sec. when flying past the Yeti. It's not total darkness either. You can see some of the infrastructure barely lit up if you look off to the side and down.

jaredliu

CHAPPS said:
Wow, you must have gone on a different ride than I did. I did not find EE to be scary, intense, or even all that exciting. In fact, I'd have to give it the award for most overhyped attraction ever.
I gotta agree with you. EE is TURELY the most overhyped attraction ever. With 2 tv shows showing how to build this coaster and tons of bills and advertisments, All I got is a pretty good queue line.

Pete C

jaredliu said:
I gotta agree with you. EE is TURELY the most overhyped attraction ever. With 2 tv shows showing how to build this coaster and tons of bills and advertisments, All I got is a pretty good queue line.
You seem to bash this ride a lot for someone who rated it an 8 out of 10 on themeparkcritic.

jaredliu

Pete C said:
You seem to bash this ride a lot for someone who rated it an 8 out of 10 on themeparkcritic.
That is not me. You should check the IP before you did the assumption. Or it'll make you like a fool.

landauh

HauntedPirate said:
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience on E:E. It just goes to show that everyone has different ride preferences, experiences, and tastes. Personally, I loved it, especially the backwards part. I need to ride somewhere other than the back of the train next time, though, so I can find out if you indeed get a different experience depending on where you sit on the train. :)

I rode E:E when I went to get my DD from college on May 5 and I found the ride very enjoyable.

I can't ride most thrill coasters (this includes RnRC and TOT) because of motion sickness, but rode E:E four times without any effect.

As for location on the train ... My DD and I rode in the front (actually the second row), the middle, and the back. You do get a different experience as well as a different look at the Yeti depending on where you sit. My DD preferred the back and I preferred the middle (got a far better look at the Yeti).

For those of you who need high speeds and massive drops to call a ride a "Thrill Ride" you might not like this one. But for myself, I am glad that there are "Thrill Rides" that I can ride and experience with my children.

I myself have ridden Expedition Everest 23 times since its preview opening, and plan on riding it many more. I am sorry that you and your husband did not enjoy this Attraction, and I am very sorry for the pain and/or discomfort it caused. I cannot however sympathize too much. Expedition Everest, as with all of Disney's more extreme experiences, have signs and announcements to forewarn you, and all other Guests, of the potential risks and extreme moments of the Attraction before you even board the vehicle. In fact the Animal Kingdom Guidemap contains a footnote which clearly states:

"WARNING! For safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggrivated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not ride."

Furthurmore, near the loading area there is another sign that mentions, among other things: "coaster-like thrills," "darkness," "sudden drops and stops," and "forwards and backwards" (I unfortunately do not have a copy of this sign, though I could get the full text tomorrow if you'd like). Also, the 80 foot drop is visable from outside the Attraction.

My point is, Disney posts these warnings as both courtious advisories, and admittedly, legal disclaimers. Had you heeded these warnings you may have decided that this Attraction was not right for you and passed on it in lieu of a calmer Attraction.

I apologize for being so blunt, and I am truly sorry for your inconvenience on your vacation, but perhaps you may learn from this experience and think twice before boarding an Attraction which might be too extreme for your tastes or, more importantly, your safety.

MissM

PrinceAndysMom said:
In case anyone is wondering, as I was beforehand, EE is VERY fast and VERY scary. If you don't like fast, rollercoaster type rides, avoid EE. I wish I had known, I would not have gone on it. Everyone was comparing it with Big Thunder RR in MK, but it is far from that. 10x faster, backwards, in the dark. Be very careful anyone with motion sickness or back problems. My husband's back hurt for the rest of the trip and I felt awful about it. I made us go on because I did not have all the facts, just the posts that said how fun it was and how it was not so scary. Queue was great, though, best ever. Next time I am at EE, I am going to wait in the line to see what I missed this time, then leave without going on the ride. How crazy is that? But the queue is that good and the ride, IMHO, is that scary.
I AGREE 100%!

I just came home from WDW today. Rode it today despite my hatered of heights and coasters because I felt that from everything I'd read, seen and watched on it, that it might be a little more intense then I'd like but something I felt I could try once.

It was horrific. I was beyond scared. I was literally terrified for my life. I couldn't even get off the ride I was shaking so badly.

People who compare EE to Big Thundar are wrong. That's like comparing Dumbo to Mission: Space. It's an entirely different catagory.

People are just mean and rude to those who aren't adrenaline junkies around here. They mock you for your tolerence, your fears and your suffering. That's a rude and downright needless attitude. More people need to learn to respect that everyone is different. That everyone has different tolerances. And that NO ONE has the right to make fun of, or badger another person for what they can and can not handle.

This also ties into the people who constantly belittle and badger people into riding something they don't want to ride. You see it ALL THE TIME around here where people say they're afraid of something and 50 replies of people telling them they're basically stupid for the fear/phobia and that they should just try it. They push and push and tell you old ladies and small children can do it so if you can't you're somehow wrong or damaged. This is unfair and untrue. No one should EVER be made to feel bad for not wanting to ride a certain ride. WDW offers so many options for so many people that if someone doesn't like a ride, or an aspect of a ride - drops, heights, spinning, whatever - they shouldn't be made to feel bad about it and they shouldn't be treated so disrespectuflly.

I can't believe over 30 people replied basically telling you not only was your opinion wrong, but then went on to say how "lame" or "weak" it was. It's so insultive. Maybe for them it was tame, but not everyone is the same. I think you're warning and post is honest and SHOULD be heard. There ARE massive drops; it's REALLY fast; the backwards section is VERY intense and someone afraid of heights will be quite terrified of just how high you actually are. These are VALID issues people should know and shouldn't be belittled for warning others.

I'm sure people will flame me for this. Because I think there needs to be more respect for difference of tolerence. Because I think there needs to be more understanding of levels of intensity people enjoy. Because I think there needs to be more compassion for fears and phobias and because I think there needs to be more fairly reported experiences with rides - including from those who don't like it and those who didn't enjoy it (and why.)

But I had to speak up and say yours is a valid opinion and experience and that you pointed out facts about the ride that are glossed over by those who don't give a moment's thought to the intensity of the ride. Don't be discouraged - some of us DO understand.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I did too despite everything I thought I knew about it. Had more people been honest with the seriousness of the ride, I wouldn't have even tried it. I wish I'd seen your post before tonight and saved myself the agony.
-m

AEfx

MissM said:
Had more people been honest with the seriousness of the ride, I wouldn't have even tried it.
Isn't saying people weren't "honest" because they don't agree with your opinion exactly what the rest of your post was trying to say was wrong?

In my honest opinion, the experience is not very intense. It was for you. That doesn't make someone dishonest for comparing the attraction to others in it's genre and you disagree because your tolerance levels are low for that type of ride.

If E:E made you "terrified for your life", then as a good neighbor I'd have to advise you never ride a coaster again. They just aren't your thing, obviously. Comparing it to other coasters, E:E is a Disney-fied experience with no loops or intensity besides the novelty of going backwards.

I know I can't do spinning, so I don't do any teacup ride...at all. Then again, 3 year old kids ride it and find it gleeful and tame. Different strokes for different folks - and I think the lesson to take from this is to rely on your gut instinct and don't pay attention to what other people think. If I was as mortally terrified of coasters as you seem to be, just seeing the tiny portion outside that you can see people rolling down would have told me it was a big no-no.

AEfx

"EXPEDITION EVEREST LEGEND OF THE FORBIDDEN MOUNTAIN IS A HIGH-SPEED, ROLLER COASTER-TYPE TRAIN RIDE TO THE 'ROOF OF THE WORLD' HAT INCLUDES SHARP TURNS AND SUDDEN DROPS, TRAVELING BOTH FORWARDS AND BACKWARDS THROUGH DARK, WINDING TUNNELS."

If this sounds like something that would scare you (as only a few years ago it would have scared me) then you have the option of what most people refer to as the "chicken exit." Once you board that train, you have made the decision that you are fit enough mentally and physically to experience the Attraction.

MissM said:
I AGREE 100%!

I just came home from WDW today. Rode it today despite my hatered of heights and coasters because I felt that from everything I'd read, seen and watched on it, that it might be a little more intense then I'd like but something I felt I could try once.

It was horrific. I was beyond scared. I was literally terrified for my life. I couldn't even get off the ride I was shaking so badly.

People who compare EE to Big Thundar are wrong. That's like comparing Dumbo to Mission: Space. It's an entirely different catagory.

People are just mean and rude to those who aren't adrenaline junkies around here. They mock you for your tolerence, your fears and your suffering. That's a rude and downright needless attitude. More people need to learn to respect that everyone is different. That everyone has different tolerances. And that NO ONE has the right to make fun of, or badger another person for what they can and can not handle.

This also ties into the people who constantly belittle and badger people into riding something they don't want to ride. You see it ALL THE TIME around here where people say they're afraid of something and 50 replies of people telling them they're basically stupid for the fear/phobia and that they should just try it. They push and push and tell you old ladies and small children can do it so if you can't you're somehow wrong or damaged. This is unfair and untrue. No one should EVER be made to feel bad for not wanting to ride a certain ride. WDW offers so many options for so many people that if someone doesn't like a ride, or an aspect of a ride - drops, heights, spinning, whatever - they shouldn't be made to feel bad about it and they shouldn't be treated so disrespectuflly.

I can't believe over 30 people replied basically telling you not only was your opinion wrong, but then went on to say how "lame" or "weak" it was. It's so insultive. Maybe for them it was tame, but not everyone is the same. I think you're warning and post is honest and SHOULD be heard. There ARE massive drops; it's REALLY fast; the backwards section is VERY intense and someone afraid of heights will be quite terrified of just how high you actually are. These are VALID issues people should know and shouldn't be belittled for warning others.

I'm sure people will flame me for this. Because I think there needs to be more respect for difference of tolerence. Because I think there needs to be more understanding of levels of intensity people enjoy. Because I think there needs to be more compassion for fears and phobias and because I think there needs to be more fairly reported experiences with rides - including from those who don't like it and those who didn't enjoy it (and why.)

But I had to speak up and say yours is a valid opinion and experience and that you pointed out facts about the ride that are glossed over by those who don't give a moment's thought to the intensity of the ride. Don't be discouraged - some of us DO understand.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I did too despite everything I thought I knew about it. Had more people been honest with the seriousness of the ride, I wouldn't have even tried it. I wish I'd seen your post before tonight and saved myself the agony.
-m
Peer pressure is never an excuse for doing something you know you can't handle. You need to make your own decisions, not let others make it for you. You know your limits better than anyone else. Again, read the signs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom