Expedition Everest is SCARY!

disney07 said:
how long is the ride?
shorter or longer then space mountain or RRC
does it stop and start like BTM
Most people complain that the ride is too short. Actually, the ride itself is longer than most roller coasters. From the time you leave the loading platform to the time you reach the unload platform is about 3 minutes (twice as long as Rock'n'Rollercoaster). There are stops and lifts, which not only feed the storyline, but allow the switch tracks to operate.

Glasgow

Am I missing something, but why are people going on attractions that they are afraid of and know exacerbates known personal fears and then complaining that the ride terrified them? It's a ROLLER COASTER, not a paddle boat.

That's like sipping a cup of coffee that says HOT! on the lid and then complaining you burned your tongue.

I normally don't respond in this sort of way but in this case I just don't get it. Do you not see the signs? Are you figuring that because it's at Disney that the attraction is just for kids? If you have an aversion for fasting moving or jerky rides then PLEASE read all of the signs first.

Disney is trying to appeal to a HUGE array of people more and more these days so every attraction is certainly not made for everyone.

justducky78

MissM said:
I AGREE 100%!

I just came home from WDW today. Rode it today despite my hatered of heights and coasters because I felt that from everything I'd read, seen and watched on it, that it might be a little more intense then I'd like but something I felt I could try once.

It was horrific. I was beyond scared. I was literally terrified for my life. I couldn't even get off the ride I was shaking so badly.

People who compare EE to Big Thundar are wrong. That's like comparing Dumbo to Mission: Space. It's an entirely different catagory.

People are just mean and rude to those who aren't adrenaline junkies around here. They mock you for your tolerence, your fears and your suffering. That's a rude and downright needless attitude. More people need to learn to respect that everyone is different. That everyone has different tolerances. And that NO ONE has the right to make fun of, or badger another person for what they can and can not handle.

This also ties into the people who constantly belittle and badger people into riding something they don't want to ride. You see it ALL THE TIME around here where people say they're afraid of something and 50 replies of people telling them they're basically stupid for the fear/phobia and that they should just try it. They push and push and tell you old ladies and small children can do it so if you can't you're somehow wrong or damaged. This is unfair and untrue. No one should EVER be made to feel bad for not wanting to ride a certain ride. WDW offers so many options for so many people that if someone doesn't like a ride, or an aspect of a ride - drops, heights, spinning, whatever - they shouldn't be made to feel bad about it and they shouldn't be treated so disrespectuflly.

I can't believe over 30 people replied basically telling you not only was your opinion wrong, but then went on to say how "lame" or "weak" it was. It's so insultive. Maybe for them it was tame, but not everyone is the same. I think you're warning and post is honest and SHOULD be heard. There ARE massive drops; it's REALLY fast; the backwards section is VERY intense and someone afraid of heights will be quite terrified of just how high you actually are. These are VALID issues people should know and shouldn't be belittled for warning others.

I'm sure people will flame me for this. Because I think there needs to be more respect for difference of tolerence. Because I think there needs to be more understanding of levels of intensity people enjoy. Because I think there needs to be more compassion for fears and phobias and because I think there needs to be more fairly reported experiences with rides - including from those who don't like it and those who didn't enjoy it (and why.)

But I had to speak up and say yours is a valid opinion and experience and that you pointed out facts about the ride that are glossed over by those who don't give a moment's thought to the intensity of the ride. Don't be discouraged - some of us DO understand.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I did too despite everything I thought I knew about it. Had more people been honest with the seriousness of the ride, I wouldn't have even tried it. I wish I'd seen your post before tonight and saved myself the agony.
-m

Miss M - Why are you being so dramatic? I read back through the posts and not ONE person mocked the original poster or called her "lame or weak." Nobody on here was mean or rude in any way. Everyone simply stated their experiences on the ride, for example "I didn't find it scary" and even went as far as to say, "I'm sorry you had such a bad experience." And no one discounted her opinions, they just disagreed. Last time I checked, it was OK to disagree. You're the one calling everyone liars...for simply stating their opinions or experiences - which YOU don't happen to agree with - so that's makes us dishonest?

In my opinion, YOU are the one taking it too far and being a bit rude.
If you "feared for your life," obviously rides like that are not your thing. You should be mad at yourself for riding, not everyone else. If you consider yourself to be a grown adult, why are you caving to peer pressure? I didn't realize that was an issue past 8th grade. :lookaroun

YQY747

I agree that Big Thounder Mountain and EE are in a different catagorey. My parents, who love BTM went on EE last week, and they were so scared. I thought it was a very good ride, but I am a thrill seeker.

OliveMcFly

Thank you for the tip. Just the other day I told my mother it's like BTMR so she'll be fine. Whoa...would I have been in trouble. HeHe Thanks again.

ssidiouss@mac.c

I just went on Everest a few days ago and thought it was pretty wimpy for a coaster.. i thought the turns were not as intense as Thunder mountain.. and the drop didnt feel as big as Splash mountain..

I did like the ride though as it had some good theme to it.. and the Yeti part was reallll good! I think it would be better with some more effects or animatronics in it.. like maybe some snow comming down somewhere or cold areas where u feel real cold.. but it was still good..

Anyway.. this ride was pretty wimpy to me as a coaster though.. im suprised at this topic.

brertigger

The drop isn't that bad, I think. It'll be over before you know it.
The drop lasts probably about 15 seconds (my rough estimate), then you have the double helix.

I agree- the drop does not seem as big as Splash Mountain (since it curves).

YQY747

For the drop I would say if you can handle Splash Mountain you can handle this, the only thing is that the ride continues to move fast after the drop and not slow down like Splash Mountian.

MellBelle2

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
I just went on Everest a few days ago and thought it was pretty wimpy for a coaster.. i thought the turns were not as intense as Thunder mountain.. and the drop didnt feel as big as Splash mountain..

I did like the ride though as it had some good theme to it.. and the Yeti part was reallll good! I think it would be better with some more effects or animatronics in it.. like maybe some snow comming down somewhere or cold areas where u feel real cold.. but it was still good..

Anyway.. this ride was pretty wimpy to me as a coaster though.. im suprised at this topic.

Any lack of turns is made up in the backwards portion! It's AMAZING and so unique from the other rides! I thought the drops and turns backwards made EE far from wimpy!!

brertigger said:
The drop lasts probably about 15 seconds (my rough estimate), then you have the double helix.

15 seconds would be, like, a 1000 ft drop...good guess though.

ssidiouss@mac.c

MellBelle2 said:
Any lack of turns is made up in the backwards portion! It's AMAZING and so unique from the other rides! I thought the drops and turns backwards made EE far from wimpy!!

Oh yah.. the backwards part.. i can't believe I forgot about that part haha.. yes.. that was fuN!! Everest is a great ride.. just not as intense or scary as the original poster made it out to be. I think with some snow/cold effects and maybe an animatronic or two thrown in there somewhere (of dead or trapped explorers) it would be a masterpiece.

BRER STITCH

I love all rides and have no problem with most, but I actually got a headache and had a feeling of dizziness after riding Expedition Everest. It was kind of like how I felt after riding Mission:Space.

I think maybe it was the backward portion of the ride, as I had only ever previously experienced that feeling after riding the "Boomerang" coaster at Six Flags, which also takes the rider backwards at high speed. :veryconfu

Hey....not everything is for everybody, and once was enough for me on all three of those.

:king:

epcot2004

CHAPPS said:
Wow, you must have gone on a different ride than I did. I did not find EE to be scary, intense, or even all that exciting. In fact, I'd have to give it the award for most overhyped attraction ever.

Sorry to interrupt but the most over-hyped attraction is M:S!:lookaroun

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
epcot2004 said:
Sorry to interrupt but the most over-hyped attraction is M:S!:lookaroun

Well considering Disney recently had to re-tool M:S to offer a less intense option, I'd say M:S lives up to any hype it ever got. Everest, on the other hand, has gotten a lot more hype and doesn't come close to living up to it. Take, for instance, the television commercial for it. That commercial would have you believe that you are flying along at breakneck speeds throughout the entire ride. You can even tell they speeded up the video to make it look like the ride is going faster. Also, they make a really big deal about the Yeti and I think that was really a disappointment.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
brertigger said:

15 seconds?? Holy cow!! That would be some huge drop!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom