Expedition Everest...I just don't get it!

wesTcoastY

It's zippy, thrashy and nicely cheesy

Excellent!:ROFLOL:The Matterhorn rocks!

I love the theming on Disney rides. However I find the cue for EE OVERLY themed. Good grief, it looks like a museum more than a himalayan village. Not that I have been to a himalayan village but I can't imagine a bunch of artifacts in glass cases positioned around the inside of huts.

krankenstein

I think it is a great ride that is a solid 4th in my top 5 attractions list. However, I will agree that it could be improved. What really kills EE is when the effects go out. When I went in May it was right after the 10th celebration and everything was working. It wasn't my first time on the ride, but it certainly was my best ride. It whooped all the rides I had this past Dec. Than I went earlier this month...nothing was working. The attraction sucked!!!!! I still cannot get over how much whether the effects are working changes the experience, but it does.

For a parks marque attraction the maintenance, care and love is definitely lacking.

Timekeeper

well .. neither jungle cruise nor jaws feature eyedropping spuperfluid AA :shrug:

What eyedropping superfluid AA? If you want to see a superfluid AA, look to the Timekeeper, or wicked witch in GMR, both of which are much older than EE. If WDI felt that they had created something worth looking at for more than a split second in EE, then they would probably have included it in the ride for more than a split second. Timekeeper had to stand up to 20 minutes of visual scrutiny. Even the witch has a lengthy monologue as the focus of audience attention.

The yeti swings his arm and bobbles his head; not the most impressive technological feat. Kongfrontation anyone?

WDI should have enclosed the track break scene, and included the yeti AA (programmed to do more than swing his arm) in that scene.

...even Mr. Potato Head makes the yeti look like a marionette puppet.

:cry:

Spike-in-Berlin

If you really want to pick on an attraction, how about PRIMEVAL WHIRL? It's ugly, badly themed, and is just an off the shelf CRAZY MOUSE. Not an attraction that belongs in a DISNEY PARK. Actually the entire icky carnival that is in AK is bad news. And How about KALI RIVER RAPIDS? Dull, boring raft ride, and lackluster theming. Oh it's pretty, but the whole message is totally lost.

Well there are threads existing here where they pick on PW and the entire Din-o-rama-stuff. PW is completely boring and inappropriate, I agree, just like the entire dino-rama-fairgroung. Cheap and undisneyish, even if you know the storyline like I do. I still hate it and can't await to see it go. Together with quite beautiful but booooooring CMM it's one of the reasons why DAK has this sized-down appearance with nearly two complete lands as a kind of ersatz-lands for originally planned major attractions like Beastly Kingdomme. And the Kali River Rapids are again one of those "downwatered" (literally) attractions, it was planned more than twice the size with much more theming, including live Tigers but you know how disney does it for several years now, great plans and often only mediocre execution.

Spike-in-Berlin

I think it is a great ride that is a solid 4th in my top 5 attractions list. However, I will agree that it could be improved. What really kills EE is when the effects go out. When I went in May it was right after the 10th celebration and everything was working. It wasn't my first time on the ride, but it certainly was my best ride. It whooped all the rides I had this past Dec. Than I went earlier this month...nothing was working. The attraction sucked!!!!! I still cannot get over how much whether the effects are working changes the experience, but it does.

For a parks marque attraction the maintenance, care and love is definitely lacking.

Which effects are essential for the experience to be perfect?

XaiChai

Well, from some of these posts...it seems like this is a sound thought when it comes to Disney rides...

You either die a hero...
(Horizons, World of Motion, 20K, Journey Into Imagination)

Or live long enough to see yourself become the villian...
(Dinosaur, Journey Into Imagination with Figment, Backlot Tour, Tiki Room Under New Management)

:dazzle:

haha

Pete C

If everyone bashes this ride so much, then why is there so much love for Joe Rhode? So far EE and Dinosaur have both been blasted for having lousy theming, the entire park has been blasted for being a half-day park, and then you have Dinorama.

krankenstein

Which effects are essential for the experience to be perfect?

To me every effect adds to the experience, the cave mist, the clouds effect, the Yeti in all its glory, and even the cheap bird on the stick. Without them it is basically a crappy coaster in the dark with a pretty good helix toward the end. All the effects that are a part of this attraction adds to your overall experience.

If you haven't experienced everything working, than you won't know what you are missing. If you have experienced it working properly, than you will be able to understand what I mean.

Kriszee1

Personally, I hate EE...to me it was a total waste of my time. :brick: Rolling Thunder in Six Flags was a better coaster. I have to agree 100% with the OP. I felt like I was so pumped up because of the raves from this website nad the forums, but I was so terribly let down. I won't even waste my time going on it again to give it another chance.

Spike-in-Berlin

To me every effect adds to the experience, the cave mist, the clouds effect, the Yeti in all its glory, and even the cheap bird on the stick. Without them it is basically a crappy coaster in the dark with a pretty good helix toward the end. All the effects that are a part of this attraction adds to your overall experience.

If you haven't experienced everything working, than you won't know what you are missing. If you have experienced it working properly, than you will be able to understand what I mean.

That's what I meant. What kind of clouds effect is there and where is mist in the cave? When I did it I didn't see effects like that. However at least the waterfalls were running.

will341

EE is a great ride. Themed wise and ride wise. The theme in the wait is phenomenal. If you sit in the back, again just my personal opinion, the ride is much better. I sit in rows 10 and back every time and the back row the very back is the best. I personally do not see anything wrong with EE whatsoever.

dolbyman

What eyedropping superfluid AA? If you want to see a superfluid AA, look to the Timekeeper, or wicked witch in GMR, both of which are much older than EE.

No .. those are indoor AA .. we were talking about the lack of animatronics in the outdoor mountain top scene

krankenstein

That's what I meant. What kind of clouds effect is there and where is mist in the cave? When I did it I didn't see effects like that. However at least the waterfalls were running.

The cave mist is supposed to start once you get at the top of the main lift hill. The clouds are supposed to be produced at the very top of the mountain. It makes the mountain look taller. They are both minor effects, but they add a little something extra to the ride when it is running.

As far as the waterfalls, recently I have only witnessed one of the two running, seems like they could at least keep water running down the mountain. :rolleyes:

agent86

Original Poster
Drive up I-4 east a bit if you want metal monsters, EE is a great attraction telling a story with minor thrills thrown in.

I would say it has minor thrills and is a minor story, resulting in a minor attraction overall. That's my whole point... The low thrill factor of the ride does not make up for the lack of theming and storyline, and vice versa. The incredibly sparse theming is not nearly enough to make up for the lack of thrill. Its really basically a dud on both counts.

I just don't get it when people refer to the theming as "amazing". A lot of people SAY that, but what are they referring to exactly? No one seems to be able to give specifics as far as the so-called "amazing" theming.

Compare this to an attraction like Big Thunder or Splash Mountain. Neither of those is incredibly thrilling, but at least people would be correct in referring to the theming on those as "amazing". I could fill a whole page listing all the details you see on those attractions. What all is there on EE that truthfully "amazes" people?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I would say it has minor thrills and is a minor story, resulting in a minor attraction overall. That's my whole point... The low thrill factor of the ride does not make up for the lack of theming and storyline, and vice versa. The incredibly sparse theming is not nearly enough to make up for the lack of thrill. Its really basically a dud on both counts.

I just don't get it when people refer to the theming as "amazing". A lot of people SAY that, but what are they referring to exactly? No one seems to be able to give specifics as far as the so-called "amazing" theming.

Compare this to an attraction like Big Thunder or Splash Mountain. Neither of those is incredibly thrilling, but at least people would be correct in referring to the theming on those as "amazing". I could fill a whole page listing all the details you see on those attractions. What all is there on EE that truthfully "amazes" people?

YAwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....

gettingsmaller

Well, I think a lot of the disappointed/un-thrilled folks are ones who think that it should compete with thrill coasters at Six Flags and the like. It's supposed to be as thrilling as it can be while still being a family ride. My 6 and 8 year olds rode it and loved it. If it was some wild and crazy coaster with a 52" minimum height requirement, they couldn't have ridden.

I personally thought it was neat... It's a decent ride and it has some fun theming and effects. Hey, the only park I get to go to very often is Six Flags Over Texas. If I get to ride a roller coaster where you can't see the entire support structure of the ride, I consider that good theming! :lol:

Seriously, though, I think it's neat when you're going up the lift hill... the stop at the broken tracks... I enjoyed it. I think some people get a little too familiar with the DIS rides. When DIS is the norm for you, it's going to be easy to pick it apart. Come on over to SF over Texas, and you'll get a whole new perspective on WDW!

Spike-in-Berlin

Well, I think a lot of the disappointed/un-thrilled folks are ones who think that it should compete with thrill coasters at Six Flags and the like. It's supposed to be as thrilling as it can be while still being a family ride. My 6 and 8 year olds rode it and loved it. If it was some wild and crazy coaster with a 52" minimum height requirement, they couldn't have ridden.

I personally thought it was neat... It's a decent ride and it has some fun theming and effects. Hey, the only park I get to go to very often is Six Flags Over Texas. If I get to ride a roller coaster where you can't see the entire support structure of the ride, I consider that good theming! :lol:

Seriously, though, I think it's neat when you're going up the lift hill... the stop at the broken tracks... I enjoyed it. I think some people get a little too familiar with the DIS rides. When DIS is the norm for you, it's going to be easy to pick it apart. Come on over to SF over Texas, and you'll get a whole new perspective on WDW!

I think, that anyone who tries to compare some cheap thrills in amusement parks with a top-notch theme park like WDW just doesn't get it what WDW and theming is about. They should stay in Six Flags etc. and don't come to WDW and extend our waiting time.

RogueHabit

I have to say that, to a certain extent, I agree with the original poster. When I road EE I did enjoy it, but for all the hype leading up to it, I was somewhat disappointed.

It's a prety run of the mill coaster experiences, comparable to BTM I feel, though of course you do get the reverse ride that BTM doesn't have.

I will always ride EE when we're at The World, but it's not in my Top 7 attractions list, or Top 10 for that matter..

AndyMagic

I'm puzzled why everyone's defense of EE in this thread is that the ride isn't supposed to be a big coaster when no one is arguing that it was. I keep reading the typical, "if you want a big unthemed coaster then go to six flags," retort. It's as if everyone isn't reading the complaints people have which are quite the opposite of that. The complaint is that the theming stops after the queue and that the ride is very, very light on effects. And then even those effects rarely work. THAT is the common complaint about the ride; not that the coaster isn't thrilling enough. Big Thunder Mountain is far more tame than EE but to me is a much more impressive and successful ride. The theming is consistant throughout, it doesn't have any, "bad show," it's long and varied, and there is always something to look at. Ohh and it was built more than 2 decades before Everest. Where exactly is the 21st century technology in Everest? Where is there anything remotely groundbreaking? Where is the ooh and ahh? No one doubts it is fun and that it is a nice addition to Animal Kingdom. It's just sad that so much time, money, and hype was poured into an attraction and in the end it's a shorter but faster version of Big Thunder without the charm or theming. The queue of E.E. on the other hand is top notch. One only wishes they could put some of that stuff in the queue somewhere on the ride itself. At least it would give riders something to look at instead of construction lights, a strobe light, a broken AA, and a confusing movie projection of a "shadow." :veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom