Expedition Everest...How bad is it?

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I can tell you that though people scream during this part (people scream on rollercoasters all the time) there is a lot of giggling.
It's "fun scary" and not "scary" scary.
Lot's of laughing.
You'll be glad you did it.

I will do it in January! This alleviates my fear a little bit.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Like many are saying, if you can conquer Splash Mountain and Space Mountain, I think you can survive Everest. Good luck, best wishes. I'll be waiting to read whether you enjoy it or not when you come back. ;)

I'll make sure to update this thread if/when I get to do it (if I remember). Maybe even write a trip report.

mariedarling

I like BTM, 7DMT, SM but i did not like EE. I didn't like the going backwards and the drop for me was too much for me.

After i rode it i went to Nomad Lounge and had a drink. I do encourage you to try it once while i won't ever go on it again i am glad i did it once. :)

righttrack

I'll say what I tell a lot of people who were initially afraid of going on it. It does a few different things. They are all very different from each other. It doesn't do any of those things very long. If you dislike part of the ride, it won't inhibit your enjoyment of the other parts because the part you don't like won't last very long.

Stellajack

Premium Member
Easy- all you have to do is request the first or second row on Everest. The drop is manageable from the front.

As you get comfortable, and are ready to challenge yourself, move back a few rows each time you ride.

The front is a VERY different experience from the back, with the back being more intense.
I love EE but the last 2 times I rode, I felt as if I would pass out on the backwards/dark portion of the ride. It was only a momentary feeling, but enough to make me feel uneasy about EE future rides. Both times I was near the back of the ride. If the front is not as intense, I wonder if it would help my ?vertigo? on the reverse and backwards.

Tom Morrow

I personally think it's the most intense coaster at WDW. Everything after the broken tracks has some strong positive G forces and the backwards helix and drop are fairly intense. But it's still "Disney intense" and most people will be fine riding it.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
I love EE but the last 2 times I rode, I felt as if I would pass out on the backwards/dark portion of the ride. It was only a momentary feeling, but enough to make me feel uneasy about EE future rides. Both times I was near the back of the ride. If the front is not as intense, I wonder if it would help my ?vertigo? on the reverse and backwards.

I haven't rode it...but if you are in the front the backwards part would be faster...right? This I believe would trigger your vertigo? Since you have to take the fall, for the drop (forwards) however the front is slower.

Stellajack

Premium Member
I haven't rode it...but if you are in the front the backwards part would be faster...right? This I believe would trigger your vertigo? Since you have to take the fall, for the drop (forwards) however the front is slower.
I'm fine going forward, but EE reverses and goes backwards in the dark. This is when I feel faint. I don't mind the forward drops, turns, etc. The worst thing is that this was one of my favorite rides. My DH was an Army helicoptor pilot and says it is probably the 'dark' and 'backwards' together that is causing the vertigo or faint-feeling. I feel the motion but can't SEE where I am. Even RnRC, BTMRR, or Space Mtn. do not affect me in this way.

Disstevefan1

The ride goes up while going backward. This portion of this ride is what sets it apart from the rest. The up and back movement gives you unique g forces. I love it, but I love coasters. No one else in my family will ride it. The backwards portion is not for everyone

Paper straw fan

Well it would be a great, fun mid level intensity coaster with a couple surprise twists and turns, structurally it’s great and not too jerky, good for most people from age 10-80.

But, at the very end in about a 1-1.5 second drive thru the animatronic yeti doesn’t move around. So 0/10.

wdworlandlover

I was the same way. I wouldn’t ride ToT, Everest, or RnR for years. For some reason, though, once I turned 50, I decided to throw caution to the wind. As for Everest, I figured if I could handle Splash, I could handle it, too. I was right! I LOVE all 3 of them, but Everest and ToT are now my absolute favorites. I’m mad at myself I missed out on all those years.
Give them all a try! You’ll be glad you at least found out for yourself, and may just love them as well!

KevinPage

037EC3AF-8D54-4637-8347-678AE95CD2E5.gif

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Don't ride it if you want to see a really well done yetti AA, you can go to Knott's Berry Farm's Calico Rapids in CA for that or the Matterhorn in Disneyland, that yetti works amazingly.

Magenta Panther

As coasters go, it's pretty tame. You go backwards at one point, whee! Maybe you'll get lucky and the strobe light on the broken yeti will be working. Have fun.

Joesixtoe

It's weird because for me the drop just kinda sneaks up on ya, and then it's done in a second.. I actually like that, it didn't feel like normal drops to me.. it's kinda hard to explain sorry... backwards yeah I dont like it.. but I manage.. it took me 2 yrs to be able to do all the big rides at disney... now ToT is probably my favorite of the bigger rides...

Incomudro

I'll say what I tell a lot of people who were initially afraid of going on it. It does a few different things. They are all very different from each other. It doesn't do any of those things very long. If you dislike part of the ride, it won't inhibit your enjoyment of the other parts because the part you don't like won't last very long.

This is true, and this is part of what I like about it.
It's segmented, which is unusual in my experience with rollercoasters and that is part of how it takes you on a journey.

graphite1326

The ride goes up while going backward. This portion of this ride is what sets it apart from the rest. The up and back movement gives you unique g forces. I love it, but I love coasters. No one else in my family will ride it. The backwards portion is not for everyone
aaahhhh going up while going backwards. I couldn't figure it out. That makes more sense now that you have said that. The feeling that you are not pushed back in your seat but should be if you are dropping. That is what I was thinking.

ppet

All rides at WDW are pretty tame by thrill ride standards, Disney doesn't do the higher, faster, steeper craze. Those rides are left for Cedar point or Kings Island type parks. I personally love all of them. But in MHO if you can ride space mountain and splash mountain you can do any ride at WDW. This includes Everest and Tower of Terror. If you're not sure go on it any way, the drop is over in a few seconds. Like broccoli you don't know if you like it til you try it.;) That said if it's a health condition holding you back don't do it.

Texas84

The drop is a blast. The backwards part bothers me. Feels like I'm about to pass out for a second. I think RnRC is more intense but it doesn't go backwards and doesn't bother me a bit.

trainplane3

Not a perfect recreation but with the mountain removed this will show you what to expect when going backwards. Literally a long left turn (and without the jerk when merging back onto the switch):

I also think the friction settings changed a bit since this was made so the speed might be off by 3-4mph in spots.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom