Expedition Everest...How bad is it?

Surferboy567

Original Poster
For many, this is a silly question. Historically I’ve been a wimp when it comes to “bigger rides”. Recently, though after going to Disney for so many years and missing out on a handful of great attractions I’ve decided that I need to branch out. Resulting in my most recent trip, finally conquering splash mountain in Disneyland! Now, knowing this their are only three rides in all of WDW they I have never done. Everest, ToT, and Rock “N” Roll. My question is having done rides like FoP, Splash, Space etc and all the rides not listed above how does Everest compare? I normally don’t like rides with huge drops...but usually after I get over my fear I love them. This happened with splash and it is an awesome ride. I don’t want to miss out on a ride that I could potentially love, but I worry about the drop out of the mountain and the backwards section, as it is much taller then splash mountain. Thoughts?

Weather_Lady

Everest is a fun ride for those who are new to coasters, and as @Genie_naughty_whispers noted, it's a level up from Space Mountain (or, for example, Big Thunder) in terms of speed and movement. Still, the drops are not particularly big or steep (that long, steep lift hill at the beginning is followed by a big 'ol fakeout -- not the big drop you're set up to expect!) and it doesn't go upside down or anything. It does go backwards for a short while, which is totally ho-hum to me, but for some reason it freaked my son out the first time he rode it and he found the backwards portion to be very scary. (!?) I do recommend doing it in the daytime the first time around, which takes away much of the potential scare factor as you can better see where you're headed.

Mickeyboof

Easy- all you have to do is request the first or second row on Everest. The drop is manageable from the front.

As you get comfortable, and are ready to challenge yourself, move back a few rows each time you ride.

The front is a VERY different experience from the back, with the back being more intense.

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Everest is a fun ride for those who are new to coasters, and as @Genie_naughty_whispers noted, it's a level up from Space Mountain (or, for example, Big Thunder) in terms of speed and movement. Still, the drops are not particularly big or steep (that long, steep lift hill at the beginning is followed by a big 'ol fakeout -- not the big drop you're set up to expect!) and it doesn't go upside down or anything. It does go backwards for a short while, which is totally ho-hum to me, but for some reason it freaked my son out the first time he rode it and he found the backwards portion to be very scary. (!?) I do recommend doing it in the daytime the first time around, which takes away much of the potential scare factor as you can better see where you're headed.
For me the drops do not bother me as much as Splash. However, I hang on when the ride is going backwards.

When going backwards, just grab on and scream as loud as you can (seems to help). That's what I do.
Well, my 82 year old mother rode it...

All of these really help! Guess I should head on over to the forbidden mountain in January...also @networkpro that’s super cool!

For many, this is a silly question. Historically I’ve been a wimp when it comes to “bigger rides”. Recently, though after going to Disney for so many years and missing out on a handful of great attractions I’ve decided that I need to branch out. Resulting in my most recent trip, finally conquering splash mountain in Disneyland! Now, knowing this their are only three rides in all of WDW they I have never done. Everest, ToT, and Rock “N” Roll. My question is having done rides like FoP, Splash, Space etc and all the rides not listed above how does Everest compare? I normally don’t like rides with huge drops...but usually after I get over my fear I love them. This happened with splash and it is an awesome ride. I don’t want to miss out on a ride that I could potentially love, but I worry about the drop out of the mountain and the backwards section, as it is much taller then splash mountain. Thoughts?
I hate drops as well and struggle to enjoy Splash Mountain because of that. I'm not much of a coaster person to begin with but I have no trouble riding Expedition Everest. I don't think you'll have a problem with it considering what you have ridden already.

Incomudro

OP, if you conquered Splash and Space Mountain - you will do fine with Everest.
Space Mountain has smaller drops than EE, but it's rickety and jolting feel and the fact that it's in the dark and decapitation feels imminent makes it my least tolerable coaster in WDW. (Though those things also make it fun to a certain extent.)
Splash is a bit like EE due to the heavy theming, and there is a certain similarity to the big drops at the end.
EE's coaster aspect works largely in the mind, it's theming (starting with the sight of it - and continuing through the que.,) architecture and story take you on a journey that is beyond what the physical coaster would be if it were bare boned and unthemed.
I've ridden it many times and have never seen or heard riders - even those who started out as afraid - exit as anything but happy.
EE is a tremendous favorite of mine.

trainplane3

The only part where you may get spooked is the backwards section and even then it's only a helix that doesn't change direction. Everything else is smooth and *mostly* predictable. If I can take a 10(?) year old on it for their first ride and then convince them to keep their hands up the entire time on their second ride, you'll be just fine!

ppete1975

I think you will be fine, there is a mountain underneath you the entire time (if ive missed a small portion I apologize its been awhile), where most people feel bad on roller coasters is when there is nothing below them. Think six flags where you are on a track held up by poles, to the mind you feel out of control and unsafe. Where with Everest and most Disney thrill rides you are surrounded by "rocks" and cliffs and it doesn't feel as high. I consider it like big thunder,

MoragL

Easy- all you have to do is request the first or second row on Everest. The drop is manageable from the front.

As you get comfortable, and are ready to challenge yourself, move back a few rows each time you ride.

The front is a VERY different experience from the back, with the back being more intense.

hmm, never knew that. I have never wanted to be in the front because I don't want to see the end of the track up close. I might need to request the back next time!

Surferboy567

Original Poster
So...I’m getting that the drop isn’t that bad...is the backwards part the same? Just a basic helix? Planning on sitting in the front so I’ll feel the drop even less...but then I’ll feel the backwards more. Is the backwards bad?

ppete1975

So...I’m getting that the drop isn’t that bad...is the backwards part the same? Just a basic helix? Planning on sitting in the front so I’ll feel the drop even less...but then I’ll feel the backwards more. Is the backwards bad?
the backwards is the best part!! but its not scary at all... I never feel the danger aspect you feel in most roller coasters its just a fast feeling not a death defying. ID say the scariest part for someone who doesn't like roller coasters might be the ascent.. just because you are slowly clicking to the top and it sort of feels like a normal roller coaster (although you have something beneath you). AND ITS A GREAT VIEW!! ID suggest instead of thinking about how high you are just make it a game and try and figure out what you can see from the other parks.. before you can really find much you are zooming along like a fast car

ppete1975

have you done big thunder railroad? if so you will have no issue at all

Incomudro

I can tell you that though people scream during this part (people scream on rollercoasters all the time) there is a lot of giggling.
It's "fun scary" and not "scary" scary.
Lot's of laughing.
You'll be glad you did it.

Mickeyboof

hmm, never knew that. I have never wanted to be in the front because I don't want to see the end of the track up close. I might need to request the back next time!

All roller coasters (besides many launch coasters) are this way- the front is often halfway down the drop at a slow speed before the rest of the train reaches the drop. It makes drops way more tolerable.

Oppositely, the rear of the train will be pulled by the front down the *entire* drop at a very fast speed.

That’s why Big Thunder is slow and boring from the front, but fast and wild at the back. It’s also why I’ll never sit anywhere but the last row of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. The front is excruciatingly slow- but for small children and adults scared of coasters, it’s the best place to be!!

The Incredicoaster, although a launching coaster, is the same matter. The front is way less intense in terms of drops than the back of the coaster.

I don’t know why people are saying the drop isn’t bad. The drop is 80 feet with speeds up to 50mph. Splash is only 49 feet at 40mph. It’s big, and it makes your stomach drop.

Everest is scary, but if you sit toward sthe front it will feel more like Big Thunder, but still more intense than Big Thunder. If you sit in the back on Everest, you’ll scream. It’s intense back there.

The backwards portion is pretty much even across the front or rear. It’s a very odd sensation, but doesn’t feel like a drop.

Moka

Like many are saying, if you can conquer Splash Mountain and Space Mountain, I think you can survive Everest. Good luck, best wishes. I'll be waiting to read whether you enjoy it or not when you come back. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom