Expedition Everest effects status watch

TrainsOfDisney

I miss the original steam level so much. It used to practically fill the load platform and was such a cool effect. I do understand why it was reduced from an Ops standpoint, though.

One thing to remember... Steam is steam, not fog. I’m willing to bet the day you saw it fill the platform, it was a cooler weather day. Same with the steam locomotives at MK, on a cold day you can get some amazing photos of the steam locomotives leaving fantasyland, especially when the engineers open the cylinders. On a warm day... not so much.

They may have also reduced the amount, but the weather will play a part with how it looks.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Thanks for the extra info. Disney Imagineering has accomplished some amazing things. I am constantly in awe of their work. It seems they made a silly mistake on this one. How do you not account for that? It sounds like they dropped the ball on this one.

To be fair (ok, with a twing of being judgemental) Fog effects in most attractions rarely stick around for one reason or another.

Castle Cake Apologist

One thing to remember... Steam is steam, not fog. I’m willing to bet the day you saw it fill the platform, it was a cooler weather day. Same with the steam locomotives at MK, on a cold day you can get some amazing photos of the steam locomotives leaving fantasyland, especially when the engineers open the cylinders. On a warm day... not so much.

They may have also reduced the amount, but the weather will play a part with how it looks.

I lived and worked at the World for quite some time and saw Everest in all seasons back during its a--mode days. While there would definitely be more steam on colder days (I do know how steam works lol), there would still be an incredible amount of steam during the hotter times as well. That was why the effect was originally disabled, it made the load station unbearably hot for Cast, because there was just so much of it.

It's a great effect, and makes suspending disbelief on Everest all the easier. I'm just glad to see it in action in whatever form they've decided works for Ops.

TrainsOfDisney

To be fair (ok, with a twing of being judgemental) Fog effects in most attractions rarely stick around for one reason or another.

Which is a shame. They add a lot. The fog in pirates is usually working. And I remember the fog in universe of energy to usually be working.

It’s really a shame we can’t have atmospheric haze in more attractions. Test track with lasers (not real lasers... just theatrical lighting effects), the heffalump room with gobos spinning everywhere, Star type breakup gobos as you ascend spaceship earth.

Rescue Ranger

I just watched a YouTube video of what the Yeti should be doing and that's some scary stuff lol. I will say though, if/when they do ever fix him, they need to slow that part down a bit because it goes so fast you can barely even notice him. I feel the movement is a waste unless you can really have time to appreciate it for a couple extra seconds.

Probably the reason they haven't bothered to fix it yet.

OG Runner

Why torture yourselves with this "discussion". The Yeti has not worked almost since the ride opened. Disney is not going to fix it.
To think otherwise and discuss those possibilities is folly.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
This is the thread that never ends.
Yes, it goes on and on my friends.

Some day a big ol’ yeti just stopped working
But we all come on here thinking it’ll work a random day.

Oh this is the thread that never ends.
Yes, it goes on and on my friends.

When you are bored at work or home and you don't know what to do,
You come here just for waterfalls and Bird on a Stick too!

All in this thread that'll never end.
Yes, it goes on and on my friends…
tumblr_lna1pq05Iv1qbxg2a540.gif

Doug Means

I just watched a YouTube video of what the Yeti should be doing and that's some scary stuff lol. I will say though, if/when they do ever fix him, they need to slow that part down a bit because it goes so fast you can barely even notice him. I feel the movement is a waste unless you can really have time to appreciate it for a couple extra seconds.

well, you go by way too fast for them to slow it down. its hard enough to see it at the speed it would be going. i know this because i am the yeti expert, not

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

That was by design. The idea was to pass through relatively quickly, and then want to get back on and see it again. Joe Rohde talked about it at opening.

JustAFan

By that point, your train already has so much speed and momentum, they would have to add brakes to slow it down for that section. You're more likely to see the Yeti fixed before they make a significant change like that to the ride.

Also, it's not the reason it hasn't been fixed yet. It will be a long, expensive overhaul that will shut the ride down for an unknown period of time.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
By that point, your train already has so much speed and momentum, they would have to add brakes to slow it down for that section. You're more likely to see the Yeti fixed before they make a significant change like that to the ride.

Also, it's not the reason it hasn't been fixed yet. It will be an long, expensive overhaul that will shut the ride down for an unknown period of time.
FTFY;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's more than opening a door. I don't mean simply walking up to where the Yeti is. Imagineers have said it would be a lengthy refurb. But yes, minimize my comments for your pleasure. 🤷‍♂️

Creating a new Yeti that doesn't destroy itself when it moves and has more safeguards in place because it's over guests will take a significant time, once they start it.

Replacing the old Yeti with the newly built one will be a one day switcheroo.

Development is long. Downtime is short.

Pulling the trigger for the project, interminable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom