Expedition Everest effects status watch

Castle Cake Apologist

The fact of the matter is, them building this impressive high tech AA that you whiz by for seconds was idiotic. Why waste such money, when a lower tech solution would have worked just as well, and wouldn’t be broken forever? Ugh. Waste of money just to say they could build something crazy.

As one who experienced the majesty of A-mode many times, I have to disagree with this. When it worked, it was incredible. That thing moved so fast and his swiping paw came so close to the car. It was truly something to behold when it worked.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Did they fix the yeti yet?
V0l2ZSW.gif

Marc Davis Fan

And has anyone experienced both A-mode yeti and the new yeti at matterhorn? Was the movement like that?

I was there when EE first opened with the yeti working, and I've also been on the updated Matterhorn many times.

The EE yeti is obviously much larger, and its positioning (above riders) is more interesting/unusual than most animated pieces on Disney attractions (think of how the vultures on Splash stand out because they're right above you, and now imagine something that looks like its 30 feet tall and lunging down at you).

That being said, the new Garner Holt -developed abominable snowmen in the Matterhorn are... excellent. The first one lunges forward at you with realistically smooth (and pretty substantial) movement, and the second one originally did something similar - but its movement profile was recently improved to look like it's standing up from behind a rock (the figure is rising up as you approach).

Indeed, truth be told, IMHO... the difference between the Matterhorn snowmen and EE's A-mode yeti isn't quite a huge as most of us seem to imagine. If Disney replaced the EE yeti with a Garner Holt animatronic similar to Matterhorn and placed it somewhere on the side rather than the yeti's current spot above, I would really like that compromise. The problem is, with all the hype about the yeti and the years of waiting, most fans would view that (relatively) minor downgrade as a big letdown, and thus would be unhappy. So, I expect that they'll have to wait until the big refurb finally happens, and then either "fix" the existing yeti, or combine a new version with other special effects that make up for any "downgrade" of the animatronic.

Also, maybe they'll add some kind of effect during the dark backwards portion. That would make the ride feel a lot more complete.

Musicman20

I was there when EE first opened with the yeti working, and I've also been on the updated Matterhorn many times.

The EE yeti is obviously much larger, and its positioning (above riders) is more interesting/unusual than most animated pieces on Disney attractions (think of how the vultures on Splash stand out because they're right above you, and now imagine something that looks like its 30 feet tall and lunging down at you).

That being said, the new Garner Holt -developed abominable snowmen in the Matterhorn are... excellent. The first one lunges forward at you with realistically smooth (and pretty substantial) movement, and the second one originally did something similar - but its movement profile was recently improved to look like it's standing up from behind a rock (the figure is rising up as you approach).

Indeed, truth be told, IMHO... the difference between the Matterhorn snowmen and EE's A-mode yeti isn't quite a huge as most of us seem to imagine. If Disney replaced the EE yeti with a Garner Holt animatronic similar to Matterhorn and placed it somewhere on the side rather than the yeti's current spot above, I would really like that compromise. The problem is, with all the hype about the yeti and the years of waiting, most fans would view that (relatively) minor downgrade as a big letdown, and thus would be unhappy. So, I expect that they'll have to wait until the big refurb finally happens, and then either "fix" the existing yeti, or combine a new version with other special effects that make up for any "downgrade" of the animatronic.

Also, maybe they'll add some kind of effect during the dark backwards portion. That would make the ride feel a lot more complete.

Effects on the dark section going backwards would be awesome.

Still one of the best thrill rides I've experienced.

Occasional Guest

Rode 3 times on Monday, 9/2, once in a downpour. I noticed the owl working and just thought I had never noticed it before. It was a nice effect. I would gladly take Disco Yeti forever if there was an effective method for eliminating hair ties from the mountain.

Orangeanna

Just had to brag I rode e.e. during passholder preview and saw the entire ride in it's full glory. The yeti was cool but not worth sacrificing the whole ride for. It's Still a great ride and I'm sure it drives Joe Rhode insane that after all that research and work the yeti remains broken and we're talking about it. I guess we all have to move on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom