Expedition Everest effects status watch

Spike-in-Berlin

There has been many times when the projection has not worked. Sad because that seems like the most simple thing.

I don't think that that mist blowing off peak is any more complicated than a projection but that seems to be exactly the present situation at WDW, they fail at BOTH, the simple and the elaborate. They build an E-ticket and are not able to get even the most simple special effects running continiously. We definitely will go to DL in the next years.

Spike-in-Berlin

I'm pretty sure if Uncle Walt were alive today, he'd be ordering the ride shut down indefinitely, grabbing a hard hat and a team of engineers and not leaving the mountain until the Yeti was either fixed or replaced.

I'm pretty sure if Uncle Walt was alive today nearly everything in WDW would look and be different and a lot of the present TDO management would be looking for new jobs.

Tom Morrow

I guess the fact that its still the biggest crowd pleaser at DAK would have to disagree. Why? Because unlike attractions like Tower of Terror (which has even more wrong with it, just less obvious), or Splash Mountain (a true disaster), Everest is mostly just a roller coaster.

*Still not understanding why this thread is still stickied when almost every ride has major problems*

Ralphlaw

My son and wife had lunch with an Imagineer last week, and the subject of the yeti came up. Apparently Joe Rohde is very upset with it (figuriatively, or perhaps literally, cries in his beer every night). The problem, as everyone surmises, lies with the foundation. It was built too small and the yeti was too big. Some unnamed techie apparently miscalculated, and redundancy was not built in.

Imagineering has been exploring every option, including a projection ala the castle show. The problem is that even installing the projection equipment would require several weeks of down time, and DAK can't afford down time on its headliner attraction, at least not until Avatarland opens up.

I rode it the next day, and no one seemed disappointed. It's a great roller coaster, and everyone was laughing and screaming and couldn't wait to go on again. Honestly, the yeti makes it a premiere attraction, but even with disco yeti, it's still pretty good, just not a super wow. I've been to DAK half a dozen times before, and it's a truly beautiful park. One disappointing yeti should not ruin the experience.

Seriously, those of us who live and die by WDW should get some perspective. There have always been problems and malfunctions, it's just that the internet provides kindred voices to our gripes. Imagine what lambasting Walt himself would have suffered if the internet had been around in 1955 when the disastrous grand opening of Disneyland happened. Or even when some brilliant fool decided in the 1980's to turn the castle into a giant cake. Or when Disney MGM studios opened in 1989 with only 2 attractions. Sometimes, I think we really need to get a life and focus on more important things.

GLaDOS

One disappointing yeti should not ruin the experience.

What about the countless other effects in EE, and also DAK at large, that have been turned off or left to rot?

Imagine what lambasting Walt himself would have suffered if the internet had been around in 1955 when the disastrous grand opening of Disneyland happened.

Except...you know...they fixed all that.

Sometimes, I think we really need to get a life and focus on more important things.

Says the person posting on a website dedicated to theme parks.

Ralphlaw

True. All true. But not unusual when one considers that you replied in, what, 5 minutes. Look, things go wrong. 20,000 leagues was apparently down more than it was open. With daily attendance of more than 60,000 people a day--a city, if you will--WDW has much to do, to fix, and to improve. Are the malfunctions frustrating? Yes. Should more be done? Probably. Are we (including me, at times) just a little too wrapped in this? Undoubtedly.

I don't hate an entire Beethoven performance because one violin was flat. Or an entire book because of one misspelling. I don't pretend to do my job perfectly. I think it's sometimes a bit much to expect Disney to be perfect. And I also think most of us would do well to appreciate what's there when we visit, and to spend our time with work and family instead of too much time on these boards, and live life. At times, I'm guilty too. But it doesn't generally suck excessive precious time away from the truly important things in my life. Perhaps these boards and WDW become some people's lives, and that's not right. I'm just sayin' . . .

GLaDOS

I don't hate an entire Beethoven performance because one violin was flat. Or an entire book because of one misspelling. I don't pretend to do my job perfectly. I think it's sometimes a bit much to expect Disney to be perfect.

I don't expect Disney to be perfect at all. But I expect Disney to try and be perfect. There's a big difference. A bust effect here and there doesn't bother me. I see it at both Disney World and Disneyland.

The problem is, Disney World is fine with broken effects. They're fine with leaving attractions open for the better part of a decade without their main show scene working. They're fine with turning effects off because they're too expensive or temperamental. They're fine with running rides that are falling apart above riders.

Disneyland isn't fine with any of that, which is why they get my money now.

I don't expect WDW to be perfect. But I expect them to give their best effort to be.

Ralphlaw

Good point. The parades and shows at DL seem for more inspired to me too. The latest daytime parade at Magic Kingdom is really mediocre, in my opinion. If only DL had Epcot.

Dads 2 Boys

My son and wife had lunch with an Imagineer last week, and the subject of the yeti came up. Apparently Joe Rohde is very upset with it (figuriatively, or perhaps literally, cries in his beer every night). The problem, as everyone surmises, lies with the foundation. It was built too small and the yeti was too big. Some unnamed techie apparently miscalculated, and redundancy was not built in.

Imagineering has been exploring every option, including a projection ala the castle show. The problem is that even installing the projection equipment would require several weeks of down time, and DAK can't afford down time on its headliner attraction, at least not until Avatarland opens up.

I rode it the next day, and no one seemed disappointed. It's a great roller coaster, and everyone was laughing and screaming and couldn't wait to go on again. Honestly, the yeti makes it a premiere attraction, but even with disco yeti, it's still pretty good, just not a super wow. I've been to DAK half a dozen times before, and it's a truly beautiful park. One disappointing yeti should not ruin the experience.

Seriously, those of us who live and die by WDW should get some perspective. There have always been problems and malfunctions, it's just that the internet provides kindred voices to our gripes. Imagine what lambasting Walt himself would have suffered if the internet had been around in 1955 when the disastrous grand opening of Disneyland happened. Or even when some brilliant fool decided in the 1980's to turn the castle into a giant cake. Or when Disney MGM studios opened in 1989 with only 2 attractions. Sometimes, I think we really need to get a life and focus on more important things.

Not sure a better paragraph has ever been written on these boards...bravo.

Dads 2 Boys

I guess the fact that its still the biggest crowd pleaser at DAK would have to disagree. Why? Because unlike attractions like Tower of Terror (which has even more wrong with it, just less obvious), or Splash Mountain (a true disaster), Everest is mostly just a roller coaster.

*Still not understanding why this thread is still stickied when almost every ride has major problems*

So what's wrong with ToT? This is the first I've read about that anywhere on these boards. If things were really wrong with it, it would be worse than the Yeti thread.

Tom Morrow

Well, for starters, ToT has had out of sync/missing/too quiet audio for several years. On my last ride a few weeks ago, on "Foxtrot" side, the fake motor show effect on the load platform was not working correctly (and hasn't been for years); in the 5th dimension, the floating clock was broken, the breaking window was missing, only one of the star doors was working, leaving us with half of a starfield to move towards, the unload audio was playing as we entered the drop shaft, and none of the drop shaft lighting effects were working.

Just because other rides don't have something as obvious as a 25 foot, million dollar animatronic, doesn't mean they aren't in bad shape, which is why, as I've said over and over in this thread, I'm against having it stickied as it downplays the problems on other attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom