Expedition Everest effects status watch

Eljay

Forgive a new poster for asking a question that's undoubtedly in a FAQ somewhere, but what's the deal with the Yeti being in A or B mode? I've never ridden Everest (will do so in November) but I've got the basic idea of what the ride is like.

First of all, welcome!:wave:

Maybe someone can describe this better than I can, but from what I understand, when the Yeti is not able to move, they run what they call a "B" mode, which is a strobe on him (her?) to simulate motion. I guess it's better than shutting the ride down.

Chape19714

As of April 28th:

-Yeti in A mode
-Steam working at load
-Both waterfalls working
-No mist
-No bird
-shaking platform working as well! (I don't ever recall that effect being down though.)

JML42691

Forgive a new poster for asking a question that's undoubtedly in a FAQ somewhere, but what's the deal with the Yeti being in A or B mode? I've never ridden Everest (will do so in November) but I've got the basic idea of what the ride is like.
Once again, welcome to the boards:wave:
First of all, welcome!:wave:

Maybe someone can describe this better than I can, but from what I understand, when the Yeti is not able to move, they run what they call a "B" mode, which is a strobe on him (her?) to simulate motion. I guess it's better than shutting the ride down.
You have basically got the basic idea down. Whenever there is a malfunction in the mechanical parts of the yeti (which by its basic complexity can happen a lot) the yeti goes into B-mode. A-mode is the more common version where there is a large ammount of theatrical lighting and the yeti "sweeps" his arm at you. In B-mode the yeit is moved into a frightening stance and has fans blowing the realistic fur, the cave is completely dark and strobe lights go off a fair ammount of time in under 3 seconds causing it to appear as if the yeti is moving. The purpose of having B-mode is that the ride can remain open and in use while one of the most important elements of the show is malfunctioning.

JML42691

As of April 28th:

-Yeti in A mode
-Steam working at load
-Both waterfalls working
-No mist
-No bird
-shaking platform working as well! (I don't ever recall that effect being down though.)
I do not seem to recall this figurre, where was it and what does it do?

CTXRover

As of April 28th:

-Yeti in A mode
-Steam working at load
-Both waterfalls working
-No mist
-No bird

Great to hear nearly everything is back in working order in a relatively short time frame since this thread was started concerning the fact that a number of effects seemed to have gone down over the Spring Break period. Who knows why the bird is still MIA, but that might be the next thing to be fixed. I don't believe the mist will ever return unless they use something different to create the mist.

I also have to ask, what is the "shaking platform"? I'm not sure if I know what you are referring to.

Chape19714

The shaking platform is the hydrolic platform at the top holding area (broken tracks) just before you go backwards. It's an overlooked detail, as it shakes the train just a bit while the track behind you is switching. You can really notice the effect by looking at the ground while waiting. Again, it doesn't move much, but i think it's a neat detail.

JML42691

The shaking platform is the hydrolic platform at the top holding area (broken tracks) just before you go backwards. It's an overlooked detail, as it shakes the train just a bit while the track behind you is switching. You can really notice the effect by looking at the ground while waiting. Again, it doesn't move much, but i think it's a neat detail.
Oh, thanks for the info. I have realized that but I only thought that it was the vibration of the track behind you or the train in the mountain.

Jose Eber

How do you know its an effect? At the top of a coaster, there is a lot of structural 'give'.

In light of there being two heavy switches nearly on top of each other, and the need for flexibility, I doubt its necessarily an effect unless Disney has stated so in a press packet.

Remember -- the coaster itself and the show building aren't connected physically. Up top you will see a lot that 'give'.

dxwwf3

I do hope they figure out a way to make the mist work on this attraction. I could tell that it would add to the attraction, even though I rode well after the test previews, so the mist had been cut off. It's not a huge effect or really a big deal, but it would be nice.

keep in mind...there is a nice little drought in central florida right now. I think any extra usage of water by disney is being cut back. to prove my point...that lovely smell when you are on property, is reclaimed water being used instead of the normal fresh water for watering plants and the like.

brkgnews

The only time I've ever seen any of the mist effects working (the "snow" on top of the mountain or the cold mist in the top tunnel) was during AP previews. That first morning of previews, it was pretty chilly out, and that cold mist in the top tunnel really added to the realism... I was wearing shorts and actually caught a bit of a chill -- my teeth chattered for a second or two!

Chape19714

How do you know its an effect? At the top of a coaster, there is a lot of structural 'give'.

In light of there being two heavy switches nearly on top of each other, and the need for flexibility, I doubt its necessarily an effect unless Disney has stated so in a press packet.

Remember -- the coaster itself and the show building aren't connected physically. Up top you will see a lot that 'give'.
I realize how the structure is not connected and such, It just seems like one of those things I sometimes feel and sometimes don't. It could just be me, but I seems like an effect, as it doens't start until the sound effects do, and stops just before you depart the area. It could just be chance, that's a possibility. I like to believe it's an effect.

:lol:

PianoManKD

Account Suspended
I've had a lot of recent reports that some of Expedition Everest's effects are not currently working.

As of 15 April 2007:

- No steam effect at load
- Second waterfall not running (near the back of the mountain)
- No bird at the track end scene

If you ride Everest, and can provide an update as to what is and what isnt working, please do so here. Thanks :)

Why?

CTXRover

As of May 12th, all effects with the exception of the rear waterfall (and mist) were working.

These included:
- Steam at the load station
- Bird sound effects around the first and second turns
- Front waterfall on
- Sound effects in and around the temple including train whistle and creaking track sound effect
- Bird was back in all its glory (no changes even though apparently he was MIA for some time)
- Sound effects at first track switch
- Yeti projection and cool air in the cave at the 2nd track switch
- Yeti roar after the big drop
- Yeti AA was in A mode
- Yeti roar at the end of the AA scene was heard.

Looks like most everything was working great. I don't know why the 2nd waterfall isn't working. The last I remember seeing it working was December/early January. Of course, the mist effect was not present, but it will likely never come back secondary to the safety concerns it raised after the ride had opened.

mitchk

When exactly did the second waterfall stop working. I'd heard people say it hadn't worked since opening previews, so I went and watched my home video I took while on the ride last May (the 1st or 2nd day of May 2006 to be exact), and it was working then. When, and more importantly why, was it turned off? :confused:

CTXRover

When exactly did the second waterfall stop working. I'd heard people say it hadn't worked since opening previews, so I went and watched my home video I took while on the ride last May (the 1st or 2nd day of May 2006 to be exact), and it was working then. When, and more importantly why, was it turned off? :confused:

Unless my mind is playing tricks on me, I'm pretty sure I saw the second waterfall as late as December 2006. At that time though, I remember that it seemed to have a lot less water than when Everest first opened. This past weekend was my first time back on it since December, so sometime within the past 5 months it has stopped working. I'd like to know a reason too.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
As of May 12th, all effects with the exception of the rear waterfall (and mist) were working.

These included:
- Steam at the load station
- Bird sound effects around the first and second turns
- Front waterfall on
- Sound effects in and around the temple including train whistle and creaking track sound effect
- Bird was back in all its glory (no changes even though apparently he was MIA for some time)
- Sound effects at first track switch
- Yeti projection and cool air in the cave at the 2nd track switch
- Yeti roar after the big drop
- Yeti AA was in A mode
- Yeti roar at the end of the AA scene was heard.

Looks like most everything was working great. I don't know why the 2nd waterfall isn't working. The last I remember seeing it working was December/early January. Of course, the mist effect was not present, but it will likely never come back secondary to the safety concerns it raised after the ride had opened.

Thanks for the info.

At load, was the full steam effect going? There seems to be one mode where there is just a small amount of steam (almost misable), and there is the full effect where there is a LOT of steam.

JML42691

First off, I do not know the reason to why it has been turned off, but a good assumption would probably be a leak in the water pipe or some other malfunction in the pump. It does not seem to be one of the major effects of the ride, so it is probably not at the top of maintance's fix list.

CTXRover

Thanks for the info.

At load, was the full steam effect going? There seems to be one mode where there is just a small amount of steam (almost misable), and there is the full effect where there is a LOT of steam.

You're welcome! :)

The steam effect that I saw this past Saturday had a large amount of steam both when the train enters and leaves the station that enveloped the entire back end of the train. What I have noticed over my past 2-3 trips though is that the steam no longer seems to be puff through the 'stack' intermittently while the train sits in the station during passenger loading as it had for at least the first few months Everest was open. If I had to guess, I would say the steam effect when it enters and leaves the station was of slightly lesser volume than that seen when the ride first opened, but quite noticeable. I know I've seen it with both less and more steam in the past, but it was definetely a good volume this past trip.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Just out of curiosity ...

When the general contractor hands over the attraction to the park, how long, if any, is the warrranty on the construction quality.

I mean, if something breaks in say the first six months, year, two years, is the contractor obligated to repair it, or is it completely up to park maintenance.

There seems like there should be some accountability!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom