Expedition Everest effects status watch

Seabasealpha1

With that being said, the Band-Aid of disco yeti is an embarrassment. Who in their right mind would let that flash of light be the "state of the art" for a decade?

Uh...that would be...uh. Bobby. The great Disney buyer outer...

la-et-ct-disney-iger-20150607

Seabasealpha1

I was looking at WDW's page for Everest, and it shows a fully functional yeti! It shows this exactly:
tumblr_nq7g05OFWc1s2wio8o1_500.gif
They've been riding that marketing pony for a LOOOOOOONG time now without delivering the goods... Personally, I've never seen it in anything but "B Mode" myself. In fact, I think on that discoyeti.com page, the yeti goes by "B Mode"...

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
They've been riding that marketing pony for a LOOOOOOONG time now without delivering the goods... Personally, I've never seen it in anything but "B Mode" myself. In fact, I think on that discoyeti.com page, the yeti goes by "B Mode"...
I call him "Broken Barry", my sisters call him "The Paralyzed Yeti". I've only seen the Yeti in A Mode once, and every other time he's been strobing.

Doug Means

i've seen the Yeti in A made once, but i also remember a time while Everest was being built. nothing for the park to fall back on then so why would shutting it down for a referb be any different than that?

EagleScout610

Premium Member
We rode it three times in early January. Saw the Yeti operable one out of three rides. .333 in the Majors is successful I guess.
He wasn't moving. If there were strobes, he wasn't moving. If the cave was fully lit, then he might have been, but there's a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of that

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Wow that's impressive; both the T-rex and Rohde's trolling! The comments are hilarious. Rohde with the mic drop! OK Disney, your turn!
I'm glad my comment isn't gone yet, here it is: The yeti was the best thing about Animal Kingdom. My very first ride in 2007, I screamed louder at the sight of the yeti swinging it's massive arm out at me than I did for any other part of the ride. He's still awesome, but the arm gave the ride "magic" #lovetheyeti

Ralphlaw

i've seen the Yeti in A made once, but i also remember a time while Everest was being built. nothing for the park to fall back on then so why would shutting it down for a referb be any different than that?

Animal Kingdom with no Expedition Everest is about a four hour park. With a fully functional A mode yeti, EE gobbles up the time of lots of people who want to ride it over and over again. It's amazing. Without A mode yeti, it's still a good ride, the most popular thing at AK, and the draw (or wienie) that Walt would've said draws the people in. Shutting it down completely would also be an a huge glaring embarrassment. People would know and be constantly reminded that Disney screwed up.

Plus, most people in line probably know no better. It's a good ride in B mode, but it was an amazing ride in A mode. It still attracts thousands of people everyday, and fills their days. Believe me, if EE were to shut down now before Pandora opens, AK attendance would drop dramatically. Disney would be seen as a joke, and that huge mountain of a black eye would be there for all to see.

Again, the tragedy is that a $20 Ace Hardware strobe light is the best replacement they could conjure up. Absolutely 100% insane and lazy that nothing better can be installed given the projection tech that is out there these days.

Tom Morrow

I'm pretty sure that the Yeti can be fixed, but it will take a major shutdown to do so. Thus, wait for Pandora to open, and then shut it down. Indeed, AK has little to fall back on if EE goes out completely..
Congratulations! You are the first person to ever make this assumption! Finally, after 10 years, someone made some sense and we can close this thread.

Doug Means

Animal Kingdom with no Expedition Everest is about a four hour park. With a fully functional A mode yeti, EE gobbles up the time of lots of people who want to ride it over and over again. It's amazing. Without A mode yeti, it's still a good ride, the most popular thing at AK, and the draw (or wienie) that Walt would've said draws the people in. Shutting it down completely would also be an a huge glaring embarrassment. People would know and be constantly reminded that Disney screwed up.

Plus, most people in line probably know no better. It's a good ride in B mode, but it was an amazing ride in A mode. It still attracts thousands of people everyday, and fills their days. Believe me, if EE were to shut down now before Pandora opens, AK attendance would drop dramatically. Disney would be seen as a joke, and that huge mountain of a black eye would be there for all to see.

Again, the tragedy is that a $20 Ace Hardware strobe light is the best replacement they could conjure up. Absolutely 100% insane and lazy that nothing better can be installed given the projection tech that is out there these days.

my point is, though, that i did go to AK before EE was even built. I remember watching it get built behind that fence. I still went to the park, and even did it for the entire time it was open. If they wanted it fixed i could have been done already. sure at this point they are waiting for Pandora to be completed, but i would be willing to bet even after that it may not be a priority.

Tom Morrow

That's out of line, Tom. Ralphlaw contributed a thought to the thread, not knowing what had been said before. It's crazy to think someone is going to read through 145 pages of posts before making a comment. Not cool, dude.
The same comment is made every few pages though, it's not like you have to go back very far. And every few pages it has to be explained again that this is just a talking point that gets thrown around, on here, elsewhere on the internet, and in person, by people who like to sound like they're "in the know", and has in fact been essentially debunked.

"DAK can't afford to shut it down because it carries so much weight for the park." = False, Dinosaur is arguably equally as important and they shut it down for several months.
"They can't fix it without shutting Everest down for an extended period." = not necessarily true, the yeti has been at least partially removed on at least one occasion over time and the attraction has never been closed for any refurbishment time. Any rumor about needing to "cut open" the mountain is entirely false.

At least now with Avatar finally opening we can finally see if they'll actually shut down Everest for refurbishment. Of course, it could happen two years later and the community will still be all "See?? Told ya, they were waiting for Avatar to open!"

Tom Morrow

my point is, though, that i did go to AK before EE was even built. I remember watching it get built behind that fence. I still went to the park, and even did it for the entire time it was open. If they wanted it fixed i could have been done already. sure at this point they are waiting for Pandora to be completed, but i would be willing to bet even after that it may not be a priority.
It's very likely that it still won't close for any refurbishment for a while because Pandora is expected to be a large draw and now they'll actually need the added capacity that Everest provides. Plus, with the opening of Pandora and Rivers of Light, the push is now for DAK to be considered an "all day park" (said in official statements) and closing Everest does not help this.

Until now, the only capacity issues involved with closing Everest were created by Everest itself as nothing major has opened in the park since.

Ralphlaw

Congratulations! You are the first person to ever make this assumption! Finally, after 10 years, someone made some sense and we can close this thread.

Five lines of my post had to do with the band aid strobe light. The two lines you mention were a short preface to do that, and to put those following five lines in context. Now, a thoughtful response on the following five lines would probably add to the discussion. After all, this thread is comparatively devoid of comments on the decade long atrocity that is disco yeti when obviously better B modes could be put in place. I assume you can hold your attention for more than 2 lines, and I further assume that adding to that 5 line point would have some potential to be fun and informative to read.

By the way, many who have participated in this thread still think that a fix is easy, and that no shut down is necessary. Such opinions are legitimately responded to with my two line point.

Tom Morrow

Sorry, I just really hate this thread, it goes in circles now just as it has for 10 years, it encourages anger and bitterness toward WDW and makes fanboys think that all of WDW is falling apart, it pushes false talking points like the false rumor that the mountain would need to be cut open to remove the yeti, and since it never ever leaves the top of the forum I always stupidly get sucked back into it hoping someone had something interesting to say.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom