News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

techgeek

If it was like SARS or MERS then I wouldn't have a problem with taking those kinds of actions worldwide.

If, as it looks more and more like it will be, it is similar to adding another flu, then I don't.

I put quotes on ‘numbers’ because I think the numbers are the key to this all and they are, frankly, a mess. Different reporting methods, lack of test access, interpretation colored by political or economic messaging... something has always felt ‘off’ about the numbers and still does. If you don’t necessarily believe China’s infection numbers, then how can you believe their mortality numbers? How long do we need to let an instance of infection play out before marking it recovered? Do we count deaths from co-morbidity against the virus?

Once it all comes out and we have some real science to go by, I hope you are right. For now I hope experts better versed in these things then us are getting the data they need to further guide our response. I don’t think the right path is obvious yet.

The thing that I think rightfully concerns many is the speed of transmission if unchecked. In Wuhan, it appears the local healthcare system was completely overwhelmed. The numbers in uncontrolled areas in South Korea, Italy, and the cruise ship seem to correlate. How many hospital beds do we have in Central Florida? Maybe 5000? How many ventilators? Even if the overall mortality of this is low, but it can spread like wildfire, can we risk letting it do that before it overwhelms us with numbers?

To keep this from veering too far off topic, it’s my personal but unqualified opinion we are going to see The Orlando and Anaheim parks closed due to this at some point, it’s just a matter of when. The question if they should or not will be moot. I sincerely hope I’m proved wrong.

trainplane3

In this case it will be purchased by governments so there won't be much opportunity for gouging. The flu shot is free with most insurance plans in the US that I'm familiar with. I'd expect this to be similar.
Where I work, insurance isn't even required. My company gives us prescription cards whether or not we use their insurance and they send out reminders every fall that there's a free flu shot per card. They also bring a third-party into the offices all around my city and anywhere they have a large-ish presence to do a free flu shot clinic for their employees.

So you could really get one shot at work and give a family member your card to go to a certain pharmacy company to get their shots.

I'd think they may treat this differently because it's new but who knows.

scottieRoss

@DisneyCane ,
Just in case you wanted to deal with facts as opposed to opinions, there have been more deaths from Covid-19 then from SARS and MERS combined.
MERS had 2494 people get the infection. 858 people died.
SARS had 8098 people get infected, 774 people died.

COVID-19 as of March 1
86,992 persons infected
2,976 deaths so far
34,111 persons currently being treated in mild condition
an additional 7,568 currently in serious or critical condition
42,334 have recovered

COVID-19 is much worse than SARS or MERS combined.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
@DisneyCane ,
Just in case you wanted to deal with facts as opposed to opinions, there have been more deaths from Covid-19 then from SARS and MERS combined.
SARS had 8098 people get infected, 774 people died.

COVID-19 as of March 1
86,992 persons infected
2,976 deaths so far
42,334 have recovered

I wouldn’t say worse than SARS. It’s death rate was 10% upon infected whereas corona’s death rate is around 3.5%. I would say Corona has spread much faster and aggressive then the 2 combined for sure but not as deadly.

RobWDW1971

@DisneyCane ,
SARS had 8098 people get infected, 774 people died

COVID-19 as of March 1
86,992 persons infected
2,976 deaths so far
42,334 have recovered

And 650,000 people around the world can die in one year due to flu related illnesses - so using your logic, influenza is worse than all of those combined times a hundred.

"Influenza is a highly infectious disease that usually strikes during the winter season. Globally, it causes an estimated one billion cases of influenza, resulting in 290,000 to 650,000 deaths per year"

Genie_naughty_whispers

I'm glad more and more doctors are advising against handshakes, whether or not you suspect someone may be sick. There is a growing number of people wanting this practice to go away.

We can still have respect for one another, show friendship/ agreement, and be polite without engaging in this dated tradition.

Ironically, this has spread rapidly in a corner of the world that don’t handshake often and instead bow.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
My first job in state government was with the Governor's Office in 2002. That's the inaugural year of the defined contributions (investment) plan. Who knew I would still be with the state in a state agency 18 years later? So, now I'm giving serious consideration to making my 2nd election to the defined benefits (pension) plan.
Been following your comments. 18 months ago I couldn't justify coughing up 1000s to buy into the pension plan. I'm afraid to look at myFRS statement.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Been following your comments. 18 months ago I couldn't justify coughing up 1000s to buy into the pension plan. I'm afraid to look at myFRS statement.

I'm fortunate I was able to enter into the DROP when I did. Before changes were made to the interest rate on your invested monthly retirement and before they came up with the formula to calculate the annual COLA. My payments earned 6.5% per annum and I get a 3% COLA every July. I really feel for y'all who have not only been impacted by market fluctuations, but also changes to the FRS itself. And even more importantly, the lack of a raise for what, nearly 10 years?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Publix gives me a ten dollar gift card if I choose to get it there. I can have a Sub. Nothing is free l, but that promotion makes it better than free if you want one. Boo boo safety net and an excellent sub can be in one's future.

Publix subs..... :hungry:

JoeCamel

Publix gives me a ten dollar gift card if I choose to get it there. I can have a Sub. Nothing is free, but that promotion makes it better than free if you want one. Boo boo safety net and an excellent sub can be in one's future.
I collected on that this year....

Back to almost subject;

What do you think the impact will be from reduced people at the screens to TWDC? If people chose not to attend the movies that hurts the chain and TWDC the same? They both get 50% under most current arrangements? If China is shut how many screens go dark there?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom