News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

celluloid

Getting a little ahead of yourself perhaps?

Remember when schools used to rarely close unless there was a lot of snow on the ground? Then it became if it snowed at all they would close? And now it's just the threat of snow closing schools? Perhaps some people are being whipped into a frenzy unnecessarily?

Firstly, I went to school in Florida. We only closed if a Hurricane was going to hit and usually only got notice the day before if that was the choice.
Not getting ahead of myself at all. I said The State of California is dramatic. The state of California. They would be the first to give in to any frenzy if it is all it is. I was commenting on the fact that the State of California declared a State of Emergency. I did not make that up.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The Walt Disney Company is doing the right thing closing Shanghai, Hong Kong and now with the Oriental Land Company the Tokyo parks. I would hate to see the lawsuits over a wide spread of Covid19 starting in a Disney Park. However. I have to wonder about other companies who have not closed their parks in Asia. Is it they don't care about their customers or are they just greedy? In my opinion, Disney is building goodwill that will pay off massively in the future. Covid19 will pass and the world will go on. This is not the end but a great opportunity for companies and individuals we jo csn see past tomorrow and to years in the future.

Not really. First, the ChiCom government has direct say in operations since they own the place. Second, Disney recalled it's people early on in the process, which made keeping the parks open problematic, as compared to domestic Chinese parks which don't rely on westerners for operations.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We have 3 upcoming trips to WDW this year - April for the Star Wars Run, mid July, and then November for the wine and dine run. The one I’m most concerned about is April. It will be very interesting to see what happens. The good news is this virus does not seem to be any more deadly than influenza, which is bad, but not Spanish Flu bad.

I'm concerned about April's races, also.

Currently, the mortality rate for COVID-19 is 2-4%, based on what's happening in China. Seasonal flu is around 0.1%. China hasn't been as entirely forthcoming with infection and mortality figures as health experts would like, from what I've been reading. The explosion of cases in northern Italy is what concerns me...how quickly the virus can expand in a population.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Firstly, I went to school in Florida. We only closed if a Hurricane was going to hit and usually only got notice the day before if that was the choice.
Not getting ahead of myself at all. I said The State of California is dramatic. The state of California. They would be the first to give in to any frenzy if it is all it is. I was commenting on the fact that the State of California declared a State of Emergency. I did not make that up.

Declaring a state of emergency has lost all meaning, given how often they are declared. Most often the impetus for them is to unlock additional funding processes not normally open during normal conditions.

celluloid

Declaring a state of emergency has lost all meaning, given how often they are declared. Most often the impetus for them is to unlock additional funding processes not normally open during normal conditions.

Right, you are agreeing with my post of Cali being...dramatic. In this case it was the reasoning of the SanFran Patient who was diagonsed with having this form of the Virus who was not travel or near areas of concern.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Currently, the mortality rate for COVID-19 is 2-4%, based on what's happening in China. Seasonal flu is around 0.1%. China hasn't been as entirely forthcoming with infection and mortality figures as health experts would like, from what I've been reading. The explosion of cases in northern Italy is what concerns me...how quickly the virus can expand in a population.

What you miss is that the reporting that the mortality rate is overstated in China. Further not all cases of Covid-19 are death sentences. There is an interesting breakdown which shows a very small percentage of carriers get sick severely sick. Not much different from Influenza. But you listen to the news you'd think death is everywhere.

ImperfectPixie

What you miss is that the reporting that the mortality rate is overstated in China. Further not all cases of Covid-19 are death sentences. There is an interesting breakdown which shows a very small percentage of carriers get sick severely sick. Not much different from Influenza. But you listen to the news you'd think death is everywhere.
Which is hugely irresponsible of the media.

Gringrinngghost

I have a few internal indicators for if the parks are gonna close, outside of that, I expect the public facing side will be the government telling them to close.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I know that not all those infected die. Just as all those infected with influenza don't die. My concern is that China MAY be understating rates of infection. The virus is now present in all provinces. As populations are restricted in their movements, local economies are impacted. Commerce is effected. China is not known for being an open society that allows or encourages widespread dissemination of information.

durangojim

The other possibility is that while deaths may be higher than reported, it's almost a certainty that there are more non lethal and non severe cases that haven't been reported or diagnosed which would make the mortality rate much lower. I'm not saying I'm not concerned, because I am, especially since I'm sure I'll see the cases in my office and right now it's difficult to distinguish from the multitude of URIs out there right now. I'm pretty resigned to the fact that I'll be exposed. For the first time in my career I've been wearing a N95 respirator for the past month with any sick contacts I'm seeing. It was mostly due to the flu at first but now COVID19.

CaptainAmerica

You can't compare US flu mortality to Chinese coronavirus mortality. US coronavirus mortality currently stands at 0%.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You can't compare US flu mortality to Chinese coronavirus mortality. US coronavirus mortality currently stands at 0%.

It does. But we are in the early stages of the virus's impact in the US. Will the US see mortality rates similar to that of seasonal flu or mortality rates more like what China is experiencing? At one point, China's morality rate was zero, as was Italy's, Iran's and other countries now impacted by the virus.

People are right to be concerned. Especially those with existing health problems that will be at greater risk.

John park hopper

It does. But we are in the early stages of the virus's impact in the US. Will the US see mortality rates similar to that of seasonal flu or mortality rates more like what China is experiencing? At one point, China's morality rate was zero, as was Italy's, Iran's and other countries now impacted by the virus.

People are right to be concerned. Especially those with existing health problems that will be at greater risk.
The difference is it started in China and was a big unknown -- in the US (virus identified and genome sequenced) we have had enough time (no deaths) to develop a vaccine many estimate 3 months for development

LAKid53

Premium Member
US flu deaths 2020 ~10,000 (so far)--US Coronavirus deaths 0 ----no comparison

Not according to the CDC. Flu deaths reported October 1st through February 1st are estimated to be 12,000, with the CDC reporting 4,800 deaths since January.

durangojim

I would not count on a vaccine helping us this year. Good hygiene, N95 respirators, common sense will be what helps us, along with hopefully a low mortality rate. I don't think there is cause for alarm but I do think we need to be concerned. It will absolutely affect the US economy in lost production because I guarantee you more people will be calling in to work than in previous years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom