News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

phillip9698

What you miss is that the reporting that the mortality rate is overstated in China. Further not all cases of Covid-19 are death sentences. There is an interesting breakdown which shows a very small percentage of carriers get sick severely sick. Not much different from Influenza. But you listen to the news you'd think death is everywhere.

China isn't reporting accurate numbers. They are only counting deaths as Covid if that person was confirmed to having the virus before death. If they die before reaching a medical professional and having the test return as confirmed they are counting that as a pneumonia or respiratory related death. So the people out in the rural areas are becoming ill and in some cases dying but those deaths aren't counted.

Touchdown

The difference is it started in China and was a big unknown -- in the US (virus identified and genome sequenced) we have had enough time (no deaths) to develop a vaccine many estimate 3 months for development

You have far more trust in the executive branch then I do. We used to have a department in Homeland Security tasked with dealing with epidemics, however this administration saw fit to cut that department entirely.

lazyboy97o

I would not count on a vaccine helping us this year. Good hygiene, N95 respirators, common sense will be what helps us, along with hopefully a low mortality rate. I don't think there is cause for alarm but I do think we need to be concerned. It will absolutely affect the US economy in lost production because I guarantee you more people will be calling in to work than in previous years.
I believe 2009 actually saw an increase in productivity when companies relaxed sick rules over flu concerns. People didn’t abuse the more relaxed rules and they didn’t try to push through. Instead people who felt sick stayed home so they didn’t spend days doing lousy work and getting coworkers sick.

John park hopper

This assumes a vaccine can be developed. There are currently no coronavirus vaccines.
Vaccines are in development right now
Moderna said the first vials of the experimental vaccine would be used in a planned Phase 1 study in the United States, which typically involves testing a vaccine on a small number of healthy humans.
NIAID Director Anthony Fauci said that a clinical trial could start by the end of April, the "first step" in potentially making a vaccine available for use.

durangojim

I believe 2009 actually saw an increase in productivity when companies relaxed sick rules over flu concerns. People didn’t abuse the more relaxed rules and they didn’t try to push through. Instead people who felt sick stayed home so they didn’t spend days doing lousy work and getting coworkers sick.
That may be true. From my experience with this year's flu I've been writing much more work notes than I have in the past and patients are becoming more concerned about COVID19. If enough people are out of work the business will need to close for a while and many businesses don't have tasks that can be performed at home. I hope you're right though.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
People are right to be concerned. Especially those with existing health problems that will be at greater risk.

People should be no more concerned than they would be as if this were the standard Flu. Vulnerable people will be a concern, same as is there exposure to anything else. You can not compare the Chinese or Iranian or Korean or Italian healthcare system to The US healthcare system. Our capabilities are far more robust.

Lilofan

People should be no more concerned than they would be as if this were the standard Flu. Vulnerable people will be a concern, same as is there exposure to anything else. You can not compare the Chinese or Iranian or Korean or Italian healthcare system to The US healthcare system. Our capabilities are far more robust.
That's correct but if USA health care facilities are overrun with patients, it is a brand new ball game.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

South Korea has one of the best health care systems in the world. Its hospitals are some of the best equipped and several cancer survival rates exceed that of some European countries and the US.

But any health care system, no matter how robust, can be taxed during epidemics. What's worrisome in the US is the access to physicians and facilities in more rural areas.

WDW862

Does it pose a significant threat to individuals with high risks to pulmonary disease?
The death rate for individuals with chronic respiratory diseases (Asthma, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis) is only 6%. I have asthma and I'm not even worried about it. My only concern is the stock market drop.

techgeek

Extremely low chance the Florida parks are closed in the next month. Disneyland could potentially close if there's an outbreak in California, which is a possibility. It's supremely difficult to predict how this plays out in the states... we're the most prepared country in the world for something like this, but asymptomatic transmission of the disease makes this a real ****** for isolating.

If it’s difficult to predict how this plays out, what is the basis of your statement that there is an extremely low chance of the Florida parks closing in the next month?

I agree this is a very unpredictable situation. I’ve taken to not assigning probability to any potential outcome because of that.

JoeCamel

They think it came from a bat from a market literally across the street from China's top biological warfare and contagious disease lab. If you believe it came from a bat, congrats to you.

Careful who you listen to

WDW Pro

Feel free to refute the fact their biological warfare and contagious diseases lab is directly across the street from the market this new disease supposedly comes from. If you want to believe the Chinese Communist Party that it came from the market and not the lab across the street, that's cool with me.

ImperfectPixie

Early on, I read an article on a scientific site (I can't remember which, but I would trust it as a source) that it was traced through bats and possibly snakes, but that the cold/warm blood link was stumping them.

YES. We should all be VERY careful of who we trust for information. Facebook failed miserably (and continues to do so) in stopping the spread of false news by people who want to either generate income from their "news" blog or who have some other agenda.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom