Expansion Plot Maps

SeaCastle

Original Poster
Since this topic gets broached every once in a while, I thought it would be helpful if I posted some maps with expansion areas outlined in red. These are based on insider claims, others' graphics (i.e. Martin) and some educated guesses. Let me know if I missed any. :wave:

magickingdom_expansion.jpg

Magic Kingdom

Areas include PotC/Adventureland expansion possibilities, the area west of Big Thunder Mountain, the Fantasyland Expansion area, as well as the supposed site of the Tron attraction.

futureworld_expansion.jpg

EPCOT - Future World

Includes plots for a new pavilion, as well as the area by the entrance that insiders are hinting something is coming to.

worldshowcase_expansion.jpg

EPCOT - World Showcase

Includes country expansions, World Showcase Lagoon expansion adjacent to the American Adventure, and space for attractions at existing countries.

studiosnorth_expansion.jpg

Studios North

Includes three plots on Sunset Boulevard.

studiossouth_expansion.jpg

Includes area for possible Radiator Springs Racers attraction, as well as the Monsters Inc. coaster area, and an Indy EMV attraction.

animalkingdomnorth_expansion.jpg

Animal Kingdom - North

Includes the previous Tiger River Runs plot, as well as a spot east of that location.

animalkingdomsouth_expansion.jpg

Animal Kingdom - South

Includes Beastlie Kingdomme plot, as well as one adjacent to and north of Everest.

Yankee Mouse

Interesting pictures. I think that your drawings for the World Showcase are a bit ambitious though. If you put new countries or even expansions into a lot of those areas you lose the buffer between each one of the countries. Having those trees there really help to immerse you into countries themselves. I don't think there are too many spots where you can see the country directly next to the one you are in.

That being said I am sure disney could find a way to pull it off.

At DHS you forgot to show how they can expand the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater. You left out the chunk of untouched land north of RnRc. And the land beind B&tB is expandable on it's own, you don't need to rip off Theater of the Stars in the process. Maybe a twin theatre that share that backstage access road in between? :)

Also, Radiator Springs Racers brings guests to Radiator Springs, which won't fit the theme of Pixar Place.

WDW-Crazy

I agree about the trees separating each country. Who wants to stand in Japan and see the American Adventure and Morocco. I think if they would remove the Outpost, that's plenty of room for something else without having to remove trees between countries.

wolf359

If Disney would have had commitment from a half-dozen more countries back in the 70s EPCOT wouldn't have had "expansion pads" they just would have opened with more countries in place.

So in a way those trees have always been "plan B." The only reason they're so familiar and "important" now is because most of us have never seen one of those expansion plots filled in, as the last countries were added over 20 years ago.

SeaCastle

Original Poster
Thanks for all those. Interesting to see what TDO has to work with. Also, the studios cant fit RSR in any of those expansion plots

Where there's a will, there's a way. Proposals exist to put Radiator Springs Racers in the Studios. I don't know exactly how they are going to do it but the plans are there, ready to go.

misterID

I think you could add LMA to that expansion plot for RSR in DHS.

And MK you forgot the big plot between TL and FL... You know, speedway :D

Isn't there room behind the African village in AK for an attraction, north of the BK plot?

SeaCastle

Original Poster
Link please.

No images, but here's two links to a well respected, in-the-know insider confirming there is space: Link 1 Link 2

I think you could add LMA to that expansion plot for RSR in DHS.

And MK you forgot the big plot between TL and FL... You know, speedway :D

Isn't there room behind the African village in AK for an attraction, north of the BK plot?

From what I hear, LMA isn't going anywhere. Not sure how out-of-date that information is, though.

I was debating adding that "expansion plot", but I haven't heard anything either way regarding its future. Let's hope it doesn't have one. :)

Like the please-Speed-ily-go-a-way, I wasn't sure if that area of land was an expansion plot or not. Since it looks like integral facilities (and that there are plenty of other more viable parts of the park for expansion, I did not add it.

Aurora's#1Fan

Where there's a will, there's a way. Proposals exist to put Radiator Springs Racers in the Studios. I don't know exactly how they are going to do it but the plans are there, ready to go.

No images, but here's two links to a well respected, in-the-know insider confirming there is space: Link 1 Link 2

That doesn't answer my question. You said.... ( in bold ). The link you gave me just states there is space for it IF LMA is demolished.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Link please.
Inside my head.

It may be good to look at the timescale for some of these plots. Some would be used way before others. For example, in the MK the northwest expansion would likely be the last to be used if ever. The SE Tland expansion outside the berm would also probably be a late arrival.

Epcots north east expansion would similarly be a long term plan. This expansion (and into the parking lot area) would only happen if it was deemed really nesseccary. It would involve extended the parks tunnel to move the entrance plus pushing beyond the berm. Nothing at the moment points to either the WOL or Energy buildings being removed. The one true plot left in Futureworld, aside from the original Communicore areas, is between Seas and the Land. Soarin' now land-locks the rest of the pad behind it, and the plot between TT and M:S was never classed as expansion.

Showcase.. who knows. The major empty plots would go first. Showplace would probably be kept as is unless it was repurposed. Directly adjacent to the AA would likely stay undeveloped. Italys expansion would be limited due to the work at present, possibly for good. Germanys is still an open option, as is Japans (the latter has the building ready anyhow)

Studios... Sunset was designed for expansion but any major attraction would upset the balance they are aiming for of moving attention away from TOT/RnRC. The Ampitheatre entrance was designed to allow access to the plot behind the Theatre of the Stars and also the plot behind Tower (parking lot) at a much later date (the circular design in the halfway point of the path wasn`t just for show) but traffic handling at Towers exit and before an F! show would need addressing. The area behind Indy could be favourite depending on how far they go with Lucas. Either there or the Stage One area and the wider PP expansion into the backlot area would be the next choice. The old Backlot Theatre looks like it`ll stay as corporate for the forseeable future.

DAK... so many options. The Beastly plot. Anything that happens here is likely to take Camp M&M with it. This was the next area to be developed until things went sour. It still needs to, to rebalance traffic in the park from Dinosaur/Everest/Kali and Kilimajaro. Another reason why the plot next to Everest will stay empty for a while (not to mention its now quite remote) and that`s also why I doubt the old Tiger Run / Tree farm plot (north of Kali) will be used soon. There is a proposal I can`t go into for the area, but it is long term and the SW plot is more than likely to be built on first.

WDW Vacationer

If Disney would have had commitment from a half-dozen more countries back in the 70s EPCOT wouldn't have had "expansion pads" they just would have opened with more countries in place.

So in a way those trees have always been "plan B." The only reason they're so familiar and "important" now is because most of us have never seen one of those expansion plots filled in, as the last countries were added over 20 years ago.
It is my understanding that the only country Disney gained fiancial or design help from was Morocco. Their original plan was to have support from each country, but that never worked out. They turned to coporate sponsors from each nation. Example-Mitsukoshi in Japan. Actually,we just might have a Swiss pavillion if Nestle hadn't decided to sponsor the Land Pavillion. So,the fact that we haven't seen an addition is not solely because of 1970's failures.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It is my understanding that the only country Disney gained fiancial or design help from was Morocco
The Norweigian government also added a small amount of money to the pot. If I recall, Canada was the only original pavilion not to have any official tie with its country. WED were ecstatic since they could design a pavilion how they wanted, not to someone elses ideas.

SeaCastle

Original Poster
Inside my head.

The one true plot left in Futureworld, aside from the original Communicore areas, is between Seas and the Land. Soarin' now land-locks the rest of the pad behind it, and the plot between TT and M:S was never classed as expansion.

Are these inside Innoventions or outside? I'd love to see the second floor of Innoventions used, as well as see the ponds back in their respective places.

Showcase.. who knows. The major empty plots would go first. Showplace would probably be kept as is unless it was repurposed. Directly adjacent to the AA would likely stay undeveloped. Italys expansion would be limited due to the work at present, possibly for good. Germanys is still an open option, as is Japans (the latter has the building ready anyhow)

Would the repurposing involve the removal of the pavilions?

The area behind Indy could be favourite depending on how far they go with Lucas. Either there or the Stage One area and the wider PP expansion into the backlot area would be the next choice. The old Backlot Theatre looks like it`ll stay as corporate for the forseeable future.

Lucas or Spielberg? I guess the Indiana Jones EMV concept is no longer being looked at. Is something in that plot as imminent as, say, the Monsters Inc. coaster?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are these inside Innoventions or outside?
The outer edge of Innoventions, on the grass areas up to the Monorail track. I covered it in my CCore / Innoventions edit; the original plan was for phased expansion of CCore as needed. Not that they have use for it now. They can barely fill Innoventions as it is. There is no second floor of Innoventions; the Central show balcony is still intact but used for storage with no easy way to it, Centoriums upper level was removed. Only offices remain above Guest Relations and part of MouseGear. And the Art store of course.
Would the repurposing involve the removal of the pavilions?
Repurposing of Showplace Events? Could do; it`s a sturdy but basically temporary structure. There again, add a fancy facade like M:S and you could have a whole new pavilion with plenty of interior space for minimal outlay ;)

Lucas or Spielberg? I guess the Indiana Jones EMV concept is no longer being looked at. Is something in that plot as imminent as, say, the Monsters Inc. coaster?
Lucas. Spielberg is pals again with Uni. SKG may not be doing a roaring business but you think Katzenburg would roll over and not get in the way of Spielberg working with Disney, even if it`s Iger and not Eisner?

The Indy EMV for DHS has been dormant, not extinct, for over a decade now. The concept keeps being revisited, but it remains just that. A concept. One that won`t go away.

WDW Vacationer

Lucas. Spielberg is pals again with Uni. SKG may not be doing a roaring business but you think Katzenburg would roll over and not get in the way of Spielberg working with Disney, even if it`s Iger and not Eisner?

The Indy EMV for DHS has been dormant, not extinct, for over a decade now. The concept keeps being revisited, but it remains just that. A concept. One that won`t go away.
What is holding them back from doing it? Money? Or have they given up on EMV?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom