everything is so corporate

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The homogenization of merchandise is terrible, but Disney are simply putting what sells onto the shelves. Sadly, attraction-specific and unique stuff is less popular and HSM, Stitch and Hannah Montana are very popular. As a company increasingly obsessed with the bottom-line, it's too much to ask at this stage that Disney sides with theme over profit.

If its all thats offered how can you genuinely know? How do you explain the retro Epcot stuff, or tyhe fact that MVMCP merchandise was flying off the shelves. Good designs well made will sell, I cant believe Im the only one who has just stopped spending. I used to by a resort shirt and mug every trip as well as two or three attraction or park T's. Now I buy attraction pins, and even they have limited availability.

Its just lazy.

Fun2BFree

If its all thats offered how can you genuinely know? How do you explain the retro Epcot stuff, or tyhe fact that MVMCP merchandise was flying off the shelves. Good designs well made will sell, I cant believe Im the only one who has just stopped spending. I used to by a resort shirt and mug every trip as well as two or three attraction or park T's. Now I buy attraction pins, and even they have limited availability.

Its just lazy.

There's definitely a niche market for attraction-specific merch, and the retro shirts and collector's pins have shown that Disney have began to realise this. The mainstream, however, seem to be only interested in the latest character-emblazoned tacky apparel, and that's why it's so prevalent in practically every store.

MissM

Bags too, but it was so cool when you could bring that item to someone you bought it for in the bag that had Walt Diseny World on it. Made it feel more special than the Disney Theme Parks bags they have now.
The bags DO say, "Walt Disney World." One side has the Castle, the other Mickey and the Castle and says, "Walt Disney World" on it. Yes the bags are the same property-wide but just wanted to clarify that they aren't generic "Disney Parks" ones. (Now the receipts on the other hand....)

For example, why is it that when I walk into Club Cool in Epcot, I find merchandise that says "Disney's Hollywood Studios" on it? Are you @#*%# kidding me???
Because Club Cool is sponsored by Coke. And Coke is a major sponsor of American Idol. So they have American Idol and American Idol Experience items in the shop. In this example, I think it's perfectly acceptable.

EpcotServo

It's all about the cheapness.

I was in Japan the other day and noticed the selection of Revoltechs had dwindled to a single shelf and 3 or 4 Rei's, yet there were shelves upon shelves of Transformers: ROTF action figures. Those are American toys based on an American Film. Why is that there then? Because those are meant soley for America, they are cheaper to buy since they don't really have to import them themselves.

So don't be surprised if these days you see more and more stuff that you can buy at K-Mart for sale all over Disney.

hpyhnt 1000

The bags DO say, "Walt Disney World." One side has the Castle, the other Mickey and the Castle and says, "Walt Disney World" on it. Yes the bags are the same property-wide but just wanted to clarify that they aren't generic "Disney Parks" ones. (Now the receipts on the other hand....)

Because Club Cool is sponsored by Coke. And Coke is a major sponsor of American Idol. So they have American Idol and American Idol Experience items in the shop. In this example, I think it's perfectly acceptable.

Yeah, the bags say WDW, but the receipts don't. (Which makes absolutely no sense and is the opposite of what I would think would happen, but thats another subject.)

I can tolerate the AI stuff. I understand the whole Coke thing and what not. I don't agree with it but I accept it. However, seeing merchandise that CLEARLY says "Disney's Hollywood Studios" for sale in another theme park is unacceptable IMHO.

worldfanatic

As people that spend time on WDWMagic, We are certainly the types who appreciate the resort & attraction specific items and love the "Hunt" associated with tracking down unique items around WDW.

The problem is we're such a small minority of visitors. The general population of Knuckleheads who visit happily plunk down their $$ for generic souvenirs.

It'd be nice if Disney tried harder to be creative and unique. But as a business, it's hard to pass up to opportunity to rake in the dough by hawking common schlock. I blame the "dumbing down of society in general" just as much as I blame Disney.

clarkstallings

I'm in the camp of folks who, as the merchandise and food has become more bland and generic, spend less. The thought that there are others out there like me gives me hope that perhaps Disney will see that they've swung to far in a bland direction and start moving towards more quality options in the parks once again. If there's anything good about the recession, it's that people seek more quality for their dollar and might not be spending money on the junk that's offered. Maybe that'll send a message to the powers that be. Particularly when it comes to food, I refuse to play into the quick service options. In the earlier part of the decade, the QSR menus seemed to make some attempt to offer food that was a cut above normal fast food. Catalina Eddies used to offer BBQ Chicken Pizza and Veggie Pizza in addition to Pepperoni and Cheese. Now this is gone. We all know about the Figaro Fries debacle. In the months immediately following that menu change, one could request some lettuce and diced tomato on the side to recreate the old offering. As of late, this request is no longer being accommodated even though the ingredients are available in the kitchen. The examples can go on forever. The bottom line is, I refuse to eat the junk that's mainly served. I'm now content to eat a small snack to hold me over until I leave and can spend my money elsewhere.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This is definately a major issue and another example of what needs to be changed in the World. Main Street used to have unique shops, now it's all one giant disney department store. There is no longer a need to go to a certain area or store to get a certain item. There are some items unique to the resorts and the WS but for the most part every souvenier is available everywhere. I dont want to be able to buy the same merchandise at Tink's Teasures as I do in DTD or Frontierland. Kind of takes away from the fun of finding that perfect souvenier.

Greed is NOT good...it waters everything down for mass consumption
So true. I still miss the House of Magic on Main Street.
Guest spend is down on merch and food, due to economy/cost cutting.

Is keeping the merchandise theme-specific going to buck that trend? I don't think so.

Star Tours/Mission Space merch in each other's "area" is just another way of filling up the shelves in the relative stores. Disney are clearly not keeping the supply up as there is no demand for it. Simple economics.

The thing is this trend was happening when the economy was good. So your argument is null.

toolsnspools

The thing that WDW has missed is that there is room for both markets in the parks. Sure there are going to be throngs of people who want the same tee they can get at Wally World, just because it's at WDW. They have the room for those shops and the specialty shops.

Quite honestly, I like to pick up cheap shirts for my kids who are going to grow out of them in 4.8 seconds anyway. Why waste the $$ on a high quality shirt when all they really want is something with Minnie or Goofy on it. :shrug:

If I'm going to pick up a unique shirt for myself, you bet I'm looking for something like the retro EPCOT tees. I'm also going to buy a higher quality shirt because there's a good chance it will stay in my closet for a few years.

Either way, I have to agree with hpyhnt 1000, DHS tees in DHS please. Let's keep the merchandise where it belongs. When I see that stuff want to be like the dude from the Miller Light commercials and just pull it all off the shelf and give it to the cashiers. :lol:

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I'm in the camp of folks who, as the merchandise and food has become more bland and generic, spend less. The thought that there are others out there like me gives me hope that perhaps Disney will see that they've swung to far in a bland direction and start moving towards more quality options in the parks once again. If there's anything good about the recession, it's that people seek more quality for their dollar and might not be spending money on the junk that's offered. Maybe that'll send a message to the powers that be. Particularly when it comes to food, I refuse to play into the quick service options. In the earlier part of the decade, the QSR menus seemed to make some attempt to offer food that was a cut above normal fast food. Catalina Eddies used to offer BBQ Chicken Pizza and Veggie Pizza in addition to Pepperoni and Cheese. Now this is gone. We all know about the Figaro Fries debacle. In the months immediately following that menu change, one could request some lettuce and diced tomato on the side to recreate the old offering. As of late, this request is no longer being accommodated even though the ingredients are available in the kitchen. The examples can go on forever. The bottom line is, I refuse to eat the junk that's mainly served. I'm now content to eat a small snack to hold me over until I leave and can spend my money elsewhere.

I feel EXACTLY the same way, you are definately not alone! :wave:

cm1988

I hope they are reading this thread

World Showcase used to have a huge variety of merchandise from every country represented with pavilions. It must have been expensive for them to send buyers to all of those locations. It must have been expensive for them to keep track of all that different merchandise.

More efficient, really, to turn all four parks into Mickey Malls.

Tiggerfanatic

1998:

Contemporary Resort Guest: Sir, I need to buy one of the Animal Kingdom exclusive Mickey Mouse in a safari suit light up twirly thingies for my kid. Do you know where I can find one?

CM: Yes, sir. They are exclusive to the Animal Kingdom and are only sold in the gift shop there.

Contemporyary Resort Guest: What??!!?? You mean I have to go all the way downstairs and ride on one of those buses for an hour just to spend my hard-earned money on a $5.00 souvenier? That's outragous - Disney will hear about this!!

2008:

Contemporary Resort Guest: Sir, I need to buy one of the Animal Kingdom exclusive Mickey Mouse in a safari suit light up twirly thingies for my kid. Do you know where I can find one?

CM: Yes, sir, we have those right here in the Contemporary gift shop, along with exclusive Studios & Epcot light up twirly thingies.

Contemporary Resort Guest: How about a coffe mug with the resort logo?

CM: Sorry, sir, we don't stock those.

gettingsmaller

That dialogue is hilarious.
And sad.

Seriously, if each shop isn't going to have something unique about it, why not have one big shop per park?
Personally, if I AM going to buy something, I would prefer it to be something that you can only get at a specific place on the property. It makes it seem more special. Why would I want to get something at WDW that I can just as easily get from the Disney store online?

Also, it seems like it would give guests more of a sense of urgency. It's "well, if I don't get it NOW, I might not be able to find it anywhere else" vs. "Why worry about getting it NOW? I can probably pick it up at any of the 100 shops I'll pass later."

Figment632

This tells me you don't really understand a major focus on Disney theme parks. It is supposed to be an experience that you cannot gain anywhere else in the world. Marketing and merchandising is a huge part of that experience. Not to mention the premium prices that can be charged for unique items. A balance needs to be found but 'staying at home' should not be your, nor Disney's, answer.

I'd rather they spend their time and money plusing the attractions and theming in the parks.

gettingsmaller

I'd rather they spend their time and money plusing the attractions and theming in the parks.

Well, I'm obviously doing some armchair marketing here, but it doesn't seem like it would be a zero-sum game. It seems like homogenizing the merchandise might make stocking/management simpler, BUT I would seriously question whether that translates into better sales and more profit. What I'm getting at is that I don't know that higher quality, unique merchandise would "cost" Disney profit--and I doubt it's the same people dealing with merchandise that would be making attractions or designing theming. So, I don't think the time and money spent on one necessarily takes away from time and money spent on the other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom