Ever planned a trip with someone who isnt "excited"??

JCtheparrothead

We had some friends come down with us and it was somewhat the same situation. All my buddies wife could talk about was going shopping (which I can't understand) but he believed once we had her on Main Street everything would change. Well he was right and once we completed our first stroll to the castle there was never talk of shopping again...except for at DTD. :sohappy:

I think most of us have had some experience dealing with someone who is rather blase towards Disney...or maybe even someone who can be rather hostile towards it.

In my opinion, never let the Debbie Downer of the group get you down. If she causes trouble (and I absolutely hope this isn't the case) remind her that she technically doesn't have to be there, or enjoy the experience with your group. She doesn't like it...that's her problem, not yours.

Disney's for the "young and young at heart"...and some people never get that concept. But don't let her, or anyone else, ruin your time.

daliseurat

Don't take her. Don't take her. Don't take her. She has a horrible attitude. She clearly doesn't want to go where you are going. she just wants to go with you. If you value her friendship at all, do not take her. She will ruin your trip and make you hate her. Your other friends who are newbies will never want to go back there again. I have been there with people who just have the wrong attitude and they ruined the trip by making one negative comment after another and refusing to anything. They mocked the experience. Don't take her. Why would she even want to go. She wants to go to a MALL. You don't go to WDW and then go to a MALL. Don't take her. I can't imagine why she's a friend of yours. First she barges in on your trip, then tries to inject her hubby to a girls trip, trying to get a big shared hotel experience, and now she's mocking the trip before you go. Do not take her. Save your friendship!

rwdavis2

I agree with all the other people that said don't take her. It sound like she's going so she's not left out of some event. I would NEVER relent and go to some shopping mall while in Orlando. Why would you waste YOUR time (and the expense of being there) to go some place you don't want to go.

If you have any doubt about her her "converting" leave her at home.
Bob

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I was that person who was not excited at all. When I was 13, and 15 I went and I was with my parents and hated it. Everything was unorganized and just a mess. I only went to MK and didnt see at least 80% of it.

Then my GF at the time always talked about WDW and how we should go and I had that bad taste in my mouth and wanted nothing to do with it. I knew how much she wanted to go so for a valentines day I got us a vaca.

My mom, stepdad, 2 bros, and my 1 bros gf went also.

My gf planned everything cause I knew -653% what I know now about the place. We arrived at our hotel Port Orleans RS and I was pretty much in love with the world at that point.

Going to the parks, and being with somoene who knew what they were doing was such a huge key to me feeling the magic and faling in love with WDW.

Most of you know how my now GF and I went and I had to show her and make her feel the magic (not that she wasnt excited) and it worked and she is hooked.

My advice to you is this...Take her. If she acts like an idiot then simply leave her at your resort or whatever. Just do not let her ruin your trip.

Gorjus

In 2003 we took my sister-in-law (then my brother's fiancee), who doesn't get excited about anything. Other than the fact that she slowed us Disney pro's down, it was a great trip, and we felt like we converted her.

That said, when we planned our trip last year, she again acted like she didn't really want to go, but my brother talked her into it, and she appeared to have a good time. This year, when we planned our December trip, she was pretty adamant that she, my brother, and my baby niece would not go.

Long story short, you just never know... :shrug:

IMO, she really didn't enjoy her trip. However, God Bless Her, she didn't bring the rest of the group down because she wasn't happy. That is the type of person you need to appreciate.

To the original poster's grumpy girlfriend, personally, I'd explain that this is a Disney trip, not just a girls weekend out trip. Plan some event before the trip or after the trip that she can be a part of. However, I'd show her the itinerary. If this isn't going to make you happy, and if you are going to whine or make fun of any of this, please don't join us.

Having said that, I'm a veteran at planning a weekend for a large group of people. Everyone understands what the main goal of the weekend will be (Food and Wine, Concert at Epcot, Christmas decorations, new show at the castle, Candlelight Processional, etc.). Anyone is welcome to deviate from the main activity at anytime and add alternatate activities. However, they must be prepared to do these on their own. And the organizer must be prepared to do the main activity on their own.

Example: 6 people headed to WDW for the Food and Wine Fest. The organizer says: We'll be there at 9 AM for opening, ride a few rides, taste some early wines in the welcome center, be at the rope drop at 11 AM, head to the Walk-a-bout, and then continue the fest from there. The organizer is alone at park opening and the few rides. 2 people join her for the rope drop and Walk a Bout. At around 2 PM the other three have gotten out of bed, put their make-up on and gotten to the park. They simply meet up for the festival wherever the group is. They enjoy a lovely afternoon. It is getting late. Some of the later groups wants to head to Pleasure Island, so 4 of them go back to the hotel to get ready. 2 decide to watch Illuminations and then go to bed. Sleeping arrangements change, schedules get messed up, but in the end everyone had a good time and everyone got something and gave into something.

No one was upset that anyone chose to deviate from the plan. No one was upset that the rest did not choose to deviate from the plan.

Everyone go in with that type of attitude: sure, if this is annoying to you, head back to the pool or go shopping on your own. Or, you all stay here and have fun, I'm going to go shopping. However, in order to have this succeed, you can't take needy people with you who won't do anything on their own, and you can't have co-dependants who feel sorry for people who aren't enjoying themselves and want to martyr themselves so the grumpies won't have to be rebellious on their own.

Having said all that, concentrate on the things that will make everyone happy. Pick one or two characters to visit. Pick only the best rides to wait for. See only the best shows. Do adult things. If you really want a vacation where it is all about you, then go alone.

Since1976

I wouldn't kick your friend off the team just yet. My wife did not go to WDW until our honeymoon, whereas I was a 4-time Disney veteran by then. While she was happy to finally go and take a break from the wedding planning, she wasn't super-excited about all the WDW planning. In fact, she thought I was being silly reading through all those guidebooks.

And why would she be super-excited? To many people who've never been, WDW is just an amusement park, just one step up from a local carnival. It's a day trip. How many people plan out their touring routes at the nearest Six Flags? It's not until you're in the middle of this HUGE place, with its hotels and perfectly trimmed grass and restaurants and boats and trains and buses and water parks and fireworks and happy cast members...and oh yeah, the theme parks...

*deep breath*

It's only after my new wife saw all those things for herself that she "got it." Now, WDW is her favorite place in the world, other than home sweet home.

True, not everyone falls in love with WDW like this. There will always be the cynics who can't be pleased no matter what you show them. They'd rather furrow their eyebrows and mock everything they see, and then turn around and wonder why they're not having a good time. But you can't tell for sure unless you give them a chance, just as they can't know they like WDW until they give it a chance.

Edit: Okay, so what if your friend turns out to still be a real grump at the parks? Cut her loose! Let her have her run of whatever she wants to do. Then she'll have a choice of either becoming the vacation pariah, or of letting loose her inhibitions and preconceptions and being happy like the rest of you are.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I had a friend just email me saying her parents want to fly her to Florida and take here to WDW and she isnt excited at all. I told her to tell me the days and Ill take care of planning and dining for them and she seemed happy about that! Hopefully my "spirit" can save her trip!

Had a Lady meet me...I enjoy Disney...sure I've done it many times...stay on site! Well...there I was watching the glassblower make a castle,she was looking around...THEN...says....I'm bored...let's go(1 STRIKE)...DINNERTIME....I wanted to go to Coral Reef...she said...Nooo,I don't want to eat there!! OK...where DO you want to eat...her ans..I don't care(2 STRIKES)...3 rd.strike WAS LATER! tOOK HER TO BREAFAST THE NEXT DAY...SENT HER HOME!!Totally enjoyed the rest of my stay! BIGTIME LESSON...DO NOT TAKE ANYONE WHO DOES NOT "GET IT"!! Why take the chance to let them ruin your trip!Disney is kind of a special place!
Jim

GatorGambit

Been there, done that. We tried to set up a couples trip earlier in the year while my wife was not so pregnant. Only one half of the other couple came with us because his girlfriend decided Disney was something for kids, and she's more mature than that or something.

Can't win 'em all over, I suppose. :shrug:

dopeylove

Here's my two cents, well, maybe five cents...

1. make sure you discuss her "non-excitement" with the others in your group, especially the newbies

2. make it perfectly clear to her that this is a DISNEY trip and that the mall plans are secondary to the Disney plans

3. let her know if advance that she is not to be upset if you and the rest don't want to spend so much time AWAY from Disney doing other things

4. make sure she doesn't ruin things for your group AND others around her at the parks, especially when children are around

5. DON'T TAKE HER...

EMThompsen

I'd give her the benifit of the doubt. Disney Magic is powerful stuff. It may win her over. If she doesn't "get it" then let her go along with anyone else in your group who wants to go to the mall (snore) while you & the rest of the magic loving group enjoy yourselves. Arrange with the mall-goers a time to meet later in the day & everyone can compare their experiences (Disney vs. the mall) over a nice dinner with the entire group

Do not force anyone to do anything they don't want to do. At the same time no one should force you to do anything you don't really want to do. Like going to the mall when you'd much rather be enjoying a Dole Whip.

Hopefully this won't be an issue & you're friend will be overcome by the magic the moment she arrives,

Good Luck

Wild Italian

Actually, I took my sister who was excited about going to Disney for a "sister" getaway,that is until she got there! First of all she couldn't keep up with my walking, if I walked slower so she could catch up,she walked even slower! Second she didn't really notice anything like Hidden Mickeys, how attractions were themed etc etc. She had no comment on anything! Then I thought she'd enjoy BTMR, wrong! after we rode it,she got sick...... so we had to go back to our resort and it was only 9:45am!!!:veryconfu she stayed in the room, I went to the pool and called my husband. I don't think I'll be taking her there again. How can you not have FUN at Disneyworld?? even if you don't ride the attractions, there is soooo much to do and see. She didn't get it. Good Luck!:)

figmentmom

Hello all!
Im sure some of you have read my posts about my upcoming trip with some friends, and all your help has been great!
We now have another friend who has decided to come(making 3 forsure, possibly 4 if another dosnt have a conflict with an internship)...
Anyways, this is the friend that i was worried about before because she wanted to bring her hubby, we have convinced her now it is just a GIRLS trip, and shes fine with that...
but she just dosnt understand disney..she thinks we can do it all in one day, thinks its very childish that im excited to see a mouse (She claims hes not real :shrug:lol), dosnt want to eat with the characters, and is only concerned about what malls we will be visiting.
Has anyone ever traveled with someone like this before? Will she ruin the trip or do you think her excitment will change once we get there?

She may not really have the big picture about WDW - how much there is to see and do, and how truly immense the place is! If, after the first day or two, she's still not impressed, then I'd go to the parks without her, and let her pursue her own vacation activities - hanging out by the pool, shopping, etc. Taxis can be had at all the resorts, so she's not a prisoner on property. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom