Ever lost or found anything valuable?

LittleBuford

Isn't it the same?

No. One is the street, the other is a specific location. Wouldn’t you rather lose something in a particular place (a restaurant, a supermarket, a theme park, etc.) rather than on a public road? The chances of retrieval are much higher in the former scenario.

SamPR810

This discussion makes me wonder how Guest Services would handle it. If someone comes up and says, "Hi, I lost a hundred dollar bill earlier today, did anyone turn it in by any chance?" Would they just give it to the person? Certainly they could ask if the person knows where they lost it, but a savvy person would say, "No, I was all over the park."

I wonder how often unscrupulous people try to get some extra cash that way.

This is a good point and is sadly something that probably has happened.

dewardevi

About 20 years ago, I was walking through the Magic Kingdom when I found a cassette tape lying on a low wall. It had a hand-written label titled “Fun in the USA Performance Copy 2” or something like that. When I took it home and finally played it, I discovered that it had the recorded sound track of the Disney character show that was then being performed in front of the castle. One side was the instrumental sound track without singing voices. The other side was the same sound track including the voices. I assume it was a cast member tape copy made for the purpose of practicing. A lucky find since I collect Disney music, especially park music. I never returned it since it was a month or more before I got around to discovering what was on it, and WDW probably had lots of copies anyway.

disneymillionaire

Here’s my list: LOST - my prescription sunglasses (found), my husband’s prescription sunglasses (found), two hats (never found). FOUND: crown from Bibbidee Bobbidee Boutique, pin, light up MNSSHP cup.

juniorthomas

I'm starting this thread because even today, several years after the event, I still feel guilty about it.

I was waiting at the bus stop to go from Magic Kingdom to the Pop Century, and when the bus came, the doors opened and I discovered I was the only one on the bus. I took my seat and casually looked over on the seat opposite from mine, and there was a small video camera sitting on the seat. I picked it up and asked the bus driver if anyone claimed that they lost their video camera and he said no, so I held on to it. When I got back to the Pop Century, I immediately took the camera to the Customer Service counter and I told the CM that I found it on the bus and asked her to take it and hold on to it in case someone came to the counter and claimed they'd lost it.

To my surprise, she said that they receive so many lost articles and it would be almost impossible to have it returned to the original owner, that she suggested I keep it. I was kind of taken aback at her suggestion, but I did what she asked only because I didn't know what else to do.

To this day, I simply cannot use that camera without a mound of guilt on my conscience, so I put it in my safe at home and have not used it since. Even when I look at it in the safe, I cringe. I think that it must have been someone's valued camera that they wanted to use on their vacation and now they're missing it and had to perhaps buy another one to use giving them an unexpected expense.

So I did try to return it, and I feel like I did the right 'good Samaritan' thing by wanting to give it back to the owner and I feel so bad after this, that in the few years that have already gone by, I still feel guilty that I have it.

If the person who lost it is reading this, let me know and I'll send it to you! Haha!
When I was younger, as my friends and I were deftly navigating through the crowds to escape MK at the end of the night, I felt a slight tug at my sleeve. Still moving at a brisk-ish pace, I turned to see, jogging along with his father, a little boy holding up a handful of cash. I was at the end of my friend chain, which was pulling me forward as this boy was trying to give me what appeared to be a significant sum of money. Rather than risk falling away from my wagon train, I accepted the money and was pulled off before I had a chance to realize or even think about what was happening.

When we made it to the monorail line, I had realized that at some point on my journey out of MK I had managed to drop all of my money on Main Street. He wasn't gifting me money for no reason; he was returning my own money to me. And rather than pocket the 200 something USD, they both booked after me through an exit crowd (!) and made sure I didn't lose it.

To this day, I'm not sure how they managed to track me down, but I am incredibly thankful that they did. I'll forever regret not being able to say a proper thank you to them both. (I still feel awful about this - that boy did an incredibly honest and respectful thing and I didn't have the awareness to give even a proper thank you, let alone a reward. As a parent, I know what I'd have thought of the kid who responded that way to my son....)

If you are out there, my most sincere apologies and an equally sincere thank you to you both!

KaliSplash

Well, I've lost a couple of hats. One on the Peoplemover and the other walking out the dock at WL to get on the boat when a gust of wind took it. All I've got. :)

Sn0wf14ke

My cousin lost her camera on our family trip. She went into the restroom right after we entered the park, came out to join the group and realized her mistake. She went back in but it was already gone, it was a really nice camera. It was never recovered, she was so bummed the rest of the trip because it held photos from her honeymoon and another vacation that they hadn't removed yet.

LittleBuford

My cousin lost her camera on our family trip. She went into the restroom right after we entered the park, came out to join the group and realized her mistake. She went back in but it was already gone, it was a really nice camera. It was never recovered, she was so bummed the rest of the trip because it held photos from her honeymoon and another vacation that they hadn't removed yet.

That’s terrible. Whoever found and kept it is really no better than a thief.

Whippet Mom

I lost my phone on epcot once and the next day I lost it again in Animal Kingdom. I can really believe I lost it twice in 2 days. But I managed to get it back twice :)
My husband did the same, He also got it back, he kept in a pocket & it came out on rides.. After that I hung on to it in my backpack! :cool:

winstongator

20 years ago I was on. A marathon relay team. My cell phone fell out of my pocket at one of the exchange spots. I went back after the race and looked for it, no luck. Monday rolls up and I have a voicemail from the person who found my phone - I had office programmed in.

17 years ago, my wife left her purse on the DC mall. We search frantically. She needed her ID to take a flight. We get back to the hotel an hour later and have a message. Front desk has her purse! Her cell phone was inside and the person who found the purse called “mom and dad” and my in-laws gave them our hotel info. My wife had a run of leaving her purse places and getting it back.

I left my wallet at a shop in the MK. Minutes later it was at the lost and found on Main Street.

we are lucky in many ways.

dsmith51

Original Poster
I'm really delighted to hear that a lot of you have had things returned to you in the most unusual ways! This is really inspiring!

I kind of wonder what the cast members who work at the Lost and Found department do with stuff that's never recovered?

Butterbean

I bought a Magic Band with the DVC Member design on it, and wore it for the first time on Tuesday, March 10th. I use a scooter and was sitting on it while on the bus to Epcot. I reached over to get the seatbelt fastened and I think that's when the MB came loose. When I tried to enter the park I noticed my MB was missing! Luckily I had my park pass with me so I was able to enter. That evening I was able to deactivate the band but I also went online and filled out a lost and found form, describing the Magic Band in detail. So far, nobody has turned it in. Very unhappy it was lost.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm starting this thread because even today, several years after the event, I still feel guilty about it.

I was waiting at the bus stop to go from Magic Kingdom to the Pop Century, and when the bus came, the doors opened and I discovered I was the only one on the bus. I took my seat and casually looked over on the seat opposite from mine, and there was a small video camera sitting on the seat. I picked it up and asked the bus driver if anyone claimed that they lost their video camera and he said no, so I held on to it. When I got back to the Pop Century, I immediately took the camera to the Customer Service counter and I told the CM that I found it on the bus and asked her to take it and hold on to it in case someone came to the counter and claimed they'd lost it.

To my surprise, she said that they receive so many lost articles and it would be almost impossible to have it returned to the original owner, that she suggested I keep it. I was kind of taken aback at her suggestion, but I did what she asked only because I didn't know what else to do.

To this day, I simply cannot use that camera without a mound of guilt on my conscience, so I put it in my safe at home and have not used it since. Even when I look at it in the safe, I cringe. I think that it must have been someone's valued camera that they wanted to use on their vacation and now they're missing it and had to perhaps buy another one to use giving them an unexpected expense.

So I did try to return it, and I feel like I did the right 'good Samaritan' thing by wanting to give it back to the owner and I feel so bad after this, that in the few years that have already gone by, I still feel guilty that I have it.

If the person who lost it is reading this, let me know and I'll send it to you! Haha!

I loose all the money in my wallet every time I go. ;)

A few years back while heading for the people mover I found a small Child crying by a garbage can. I tried to calm her down and was just getting ready to turn her over to a CM when the mother came running up apologizing. That was the most valuable thing I've found. My daughter lost her wallet at PORFQ the night before we were leaving and it showed up at our room about 10 pm.

Hcalvert

Here's something postive regarding our younger and older generations: In November, I was on the annual 8th grade DC trip at the food court in one of the federal buildings. An older gentleman who found $60 came up to my group and asked the kids if anyone lost any money. They all were honest and did not claim the money for themselves. The man then went to security and gave it to him explaining the situation. As we were leaving the food court, I saw a kid in another one of my school groups crying. When asked what was wrong, she told me she lost her $60 somewhere in the food court. Thankfully, I knew where to direct her and she got her money back.

erstwo

When my daughter was little she had ‘A BLANKET’ (all of the parents who had a child who were/are attached to a certain toy/ blanket will understand why this is capitalized - usually blankets this important have a name, ours was named ‘Baby Blanket 😊😂) When checking out of one of the value resorts, somehow my daughter’s blanket was left behind. We were hours away (either driving or at the airport) before we realized our error.
We called lost and found and they identified the the blanket within a day and sent it FedEx to our house. It was a rough two nights without the blanket but we made it! So thankful for Mousekeeping. Not sure my daughter would have ever recovered from losing that blanket!!

Simba’s Mom

We accidentally left our car keys behind when we checked out of the Ft Wilderness Cabins once. We didn't even discover our error until we were at the airport at home, digging through everything to get our car keys. That's when we figured out that we'd left them behind. Fortunately, we called Disney the next day, a housekeeper had found the keys when she was cleaning the room and they overnighted them to us. And also fortunately, we only lived a couple miles from the airport, so DH was able to walk home, get the extra keys and come back for us. Boy, were we lucky!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom