Ever lost or found anything valuable?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Lost my debit card at the Garden Grill in Epcot. It was at the lost & found in Epcot the next day thankfully.

StarWarsGirl

This thread is quite disheartening.
I had no idea how many people felt it was OK to keep someone else’s money rather than do the right thing and hand it in.
It was before I was even born, years ago. It was a bill laying on the ground. What was he supposed to do, wave it around and go "Did someone lose $100 bucks?"

Now if it had been someone's wallet, that would have been different. I've found many cell phones laying in seats on rides many many times over the years and have always handed them in, but I'm not sure what you're supposed to do about cash flat out laying on the ground.

LittleBuford

It was before I was even born, years ago. It was a bill laying on the ground. What was he supposed to do, wave it around and go "Did someone lose $100 bucks?"

Now if it had been someone's wallet, that would have been different. I've found many cell phones laying in seats on rides many many times over the years and have always handed them in, but I'm not sure what you're supposed to do about cash flat out laying on the ground.

I have found cash lying on the ground several times. If it's on the street and there are people nearby, I do indeed ask if it belongs to them. If it's in a particular location, I hand it in to management or whoever else deals with such things, which at WDW would be guest services. Your father had other options and chose not to explore them. For what it's worth, my father probably would have done the same thing as yours, so this isn't meant personally.

StarWarsGirl

I have found cash lying on the ground several times. If it's on the street and there are people nearby, I do indeed ask if it belongs to them. If it's in a particular location, I hand it in to management or whoever else deals with such things. At WDW, that would be guest services. Your father had other options and chose not to explore them. For what it's worth, my father would have done the same thing too, so this isn't meant personally.
I'm sorry, but it's all too likely with straight up cash that someone will lie and say yes it is theirs. My parents did look around to see if someone was looking for something before they picked it up off the ground.

I understand your intentions, but you're probably better off taking the money and donating it to charity. Lost wallets with cash in them, credit cards, valuable items, yes, absolutely turn them in, but cash, I don't see it likely to be returned to the owner, in the event that they notice it missing in the first place.

LittleBuford

I'm sorry, but it's all too likely with straight up cash that someone will lie and say yes it is theirs.

That hasn't been my experience when I've found money and asked those around me if it belonged to them. And again, that isn't the only (or even the best) option at Disney.

I understand your intentions, but you're probably better off taking the money and donating it to charity. Lost wallets with cash in them, credit cards, valuable items, yes, absolutely turn them in, but cash, I don't see it likely to be returned to the owner, in the event that they notice it missing in the first place.

What you're saying may make sense in the case of smaller amounts, but anyone who is carrying and loses a $100 bill is going to notice.

StarWarsGirl

That hasn't been my experience when I've found money and asked those around me if it belonged to them. And again, that isn't the only (or even the best) option at Disney.

What you're saying may make sense in the case of smaller amounts, but anyone who is carrying and loses a $100 bill is going to notice.
Again, while I think you have the best of intentions, I think if you find cash laying on the ground, there's high odds that someone will lie to you and say it's theirs when it isn't. It's unfortunate, but if you really feel that bad, again, then donating it seems the best course. Inside a wallet is different, but laying on the ground, I think there's a very slim chance it would actually go back to the rightful owner.

LittleBuford

Again, while I think you have the best of intentions, I think if you find cash laying on the ground, there's high odds that someone will lie to you and say it's theirs when it isn't.

My point was that the people I asked said it wasn't theirs (though I've no doubt that others may well lie in the same situation). And again, the "ask those around you" approach isn't something one has to attempt or worry about at WDW.

AndyS2992

On my last trip back in 2015 I found an iPhone in the Tomorrowland Speedway car I got in to. I just gave it the CM at the end of the ride and that was that. I hope the young lady came back for it.

GinaD613

Ten years ago I lost my wallet at the Downtown Disney parking lot.

I called Disney lost and found with no luck.

The day we got home, Disney lost and found called and said someone had turned in my wallet and they would mail it to me.

I received it in the mail with my ID, credit cards but no cash. There was a check included from Disney for the $500+ that they found in the billfold.

That may be a corporate policy. My DH dropped his wallet on Long Island Railroa tracks. Staff recovered it, and policy required the cash to be removed, and they sent him a check.

draybook

Found some sweet Oakleys once. Only thing we've lost of any significance was a baby's bottle on the Spaceship Earth descent.

Goofyernmost

Back in the 80's I found a wallet with $50.00 cash in it and no identification at all. It was during a time when money was really tight (probably shouldn't have been going to WDW to begin with, but one's kids are small for such a short period of time). Anyway, I will admit that the temptation was intense. Then I saw the eyes of my two daughters looking at me and decided that it would not be a good thing to do so I turned it into lost and found. My first thought was, I'll bet it never gets past the first person I handed it too. I really don't regret doing the right thing, but I will tell you that if I hadn't had kids along my reaction might have been a lot different. On the other hand, if I didn't have young kids at the time, I wouldn't have even been in WDW so the temptation would never have presented itself.

mousedroid

My point was that the people I asked said it wasn't theirs (though I've no doubt that others may well lie in the same situation). And again, the "ask those around you" approach isn't something one has to attempt or worry about at WDW.
This discussion makes me wonder how Guest Services would handle it. If someone comes up and says, "Hi, I lost a hundred dollar bill earlier today, did anyone turn it in by any chance?" Would they just give it to the person? Certainly they could ask if the person knows where they lost it, but a savvy person would say, "No, I was all over the park."

I wonder how often unscrupulous people try to get some extra cash that way.

NelleBelle

We definitely have had better luck visiting the Lost and Found locations at WDW. About 15 yrs ago my DH (who was about 15 mo at the time) lost one of his sandals on the bus from the resort. We checked the LnF at the end of the day just for the heck of it, not really thinking we’d find it (not really that upset that we’d lost either), but there it was!

I definitely am not a big fan of this online reporting. I’ve had ZERO luck getting anything returned with it😕

ppet

I found 200$ (2 one hundred dollar bills) in the parking lot of a big box store. Turned them into the store and got a call a couple of weeks later that no one had claimed it, so I went back and picked it up. On the strange side of things (non-Disney) I was walking my dog one day and saw something beside the sidewalk. It was a piece of a bill. As we went on up the block I found more pieces, by the end of the next block I had enough pieces to put most of a 50$ bill back together. I took it to the bank and they said since I had both serial numbers they could give me a new one. I did not feel bad about keeping this money and I got a great story out of it.

LittleBuford

I found 200$ (2 one hundred dollar bills) in the parking lot of a big box store. Turned them into the store and got a call a couple of weeks later that no one had claimed it, so I went back and picked it up. On the strange side of things (non-Disney) I was walking my dog one day and saw something beside the sidewalk. It was a piece of a bill. As we went on up the block I found more pieces, by the end of the next block I had enough pieces to put most of a 50$ bill back together. I took it to the bank and they said since I had both serial numbers they could give me a new one. I did not fill bad about keeping this money and i got a great story out of it.

I hope I haven’t posted anything to suggest that someone should feel bad for keeping a torn-up banknote found on an empty street. My comments had to do with the kind of situation you faced in the car park.

ppet

I hope I haven’t posted anything to suggest that someone should feel bad for keeping a torn-up banknote found on an empty street. My comments had to do with the kind of situation you faced in the car park.
No problem, that is not how I took your comment. Although I will admit that I wasn't sure about turning in the other money since there was no way of identifying. In the end I did the only thing that "felt" right to me at the time.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
My hubs found a roll of cash ($500ish) in a garage in Las Vegas once and we turned it in to security. Earlier in the week our rental car had been hit while parked on a street, and the driver had left a note with his information on it, thus saving us the $500 deductible we would have had to pay out of pocket. So this seemed to us to be the only honest thing to do.
You'll get good car-ma from that...

LittleBuford

No problem, that is not how I took your comment. Although I will admit that I wasn't sure about turning in the other money since there was no way of identifying. In the end I did the only thing that "felt" right to me at the time.

And karma ultimately rewarded you for doing the right thing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom