Ever convert a non-Disney person?

fmingo36

Original Poster
Ok, I admit it. I married a non-Disney person. I love my husband dearly but he could care less if he ever stepped foot on Main Street USA again.

We now have two beautiful daughters and I'm hoping that maybe he'll see the joy of Disney through their eyes.

Any other ideas on how to get him to enjoy the Disney experience?:veryconfu

Chape19714

Take him on a backstage tour. If he's anything like some guys I know, which he sounds like, then maybe he'll being to appricate Disney because of how much is going on, and what it takes to make the magic, he won't take it for granted again.

And hopefully he'll see it through a kid's eyes.

mouselvrmom

I have converted a nondisney person. My husband was like yours, he really didn't care about disney. He had been once at the age of 18 and was not too impressed.

I finally talked him into taking the kids for a trip to DL. He enjoyed it. Then, I talked him into a trip to WDW. He enjoyed that trip more. On the next trip to WDW I talked him into buying into the dvc.

I really think that seeing the joy wdw brings to our kids was what got him to be a believer. He now knows almost as much about the world as I do. He reads the dvc magazine as soon as we get it. He tells all of our friends about what a great family vacation wdw is. Now, he is not quite as crazy as I am, he doesn't go on the internet and confess his love or anything. But he is definitely a lover.

So I think that once your husband sees things through your daughter's eyes, he may become a disney lover too! :)

In addition to getting him to see Disney through your daughters' eyes, I'd look for things in the parks that match up with his own interests. Is he into sports? Go to the ESPN club on The Boardwalk and then afterwards take a stroll along the water or a nice walk to Epcot. Is he into movies? - The Great Movie Ride! Cars? - The Lights, Motors, Action show. Star Wars... Aerosmith... Chills (Tower Of Terror/HM) - I think you get where I'm coming from. :wave: Disney means different things to different people. He may need to find what particular things at WDW appeal to him specifically and not to you or his daughters. I think once he finds his own love for things, his appreciation for all of it will come out.

Princess_Gina

I think you will have to sell it as less 'Disney' and more of a fun vacation for all.

If he likes golf, stay at a golf resort and maybe he can take a few pro classes while you ladies go to BBB.

If he likes science, there is Epcot et al to explore.

If he likes entertainment, there is lots of evening entertainment and maybe you can find a sitter and have an evening out with him.

If he likes nature, you can camp af Fort Wilderness.... :veryconfu and have some fun there.

I think it's all about compromise. If he's not into it, you should just ease in to it, and maybe if he sees that it brings joy to you and the girls, he is less likely to resent and just go with the flow.

ann0d1

Yes I converted my DH. He was married before and went down with his X. They had a miserable time, because of her. Anyway, the first time we went down, he still had bad memories, and was a big pain the butt, but the second time, he saw the joy in it through our son's eyes. In December we are going down again, and he said he can't wait. Sometimes good things take time!:sohappy:

DisneyGigi

DH used to just be "okay" with Disney but after our trip in March he planned the next trip for our Anniversary and he talks/ lives it almost as much as I do!
I am lovin' it! :ROFLOL:

mpoppins76

My DF is on his way to being one. Our trip in May was his first time there, and at first he was trying to fight it; being macho about stuff and rolling his eyes alot. But as soon as he stepped foot in MK, he couldn't stand it anymore and transformed into the big kid I know and love. :) By the last day we were touring DVC, at HIS request. I'd say we made some progress. :king: :lol:

fmingo36

Original Poster
Take him on a backstage tour. If he's anything like some guys I know, which he sounds like, then maybe he'll being to appricate Disney because of how much is going on, and what it takes to make the magic, he won't take it for granted again.

Last year he was here on business, and his compnay paid for him (and co-workers) to do the underground tour. And before he left he was like "I can't believe I have to waste 2 hours in tunnels....BLAH, BLAH, BLAH".
When he was done, he was impressed with how Disney does things (looking at it as a business), but he still does not see why Disney is so special.

OF course, I was freakin' out telling him how lucky he was because I would have LOVED to do tour.

Disneyfan1981

I was a convert.....sort of.....more like a Disney Prodigal Son.....I used to go to Disney every year with my folks until I was about 13 then didn't go again until I was about 19. My wife just asked me to go and really made me have a great time riding rides and really feeling like I was 7 again. Converts are possible but never occur when forced.

Uponastar

Everytime a thread like this one comes along I thank my lucky stars that DH loves WDW as much, if not more, than I do. We're very different people in a lot of ways, but we have our love of the World (and a few other things) :lol: in common and it's very, very nice!

Thiger

my gf didnt want to go when i originally suggested going to disney last september but luckily as soon as we got there it turned out she loves the place just as much as i do!

Apparently she thought it was for little kids (she changed her mind quickly after TOT and RNRC!) hahaha

We've already talked about having our wedding at disney if it evolves that far!

I say the suggestions listed above are pretty great! If not? Grrrls trip!
hahaha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom