Evacuees at Disney?

Langdonj

Original Poster
Shortly after Katrina I heard a guy on talk radio say his family was coming to Walt Disney World since he couldnt go home and didn't know what the next stage of his life would be.

Any indication this is a trend? It sounds like crowds were down last week.

Since1976

Hmm, that doesn't exactly sound like the most economical way to become a refugee.

Unless the guy has a lot of disposable income which he's ready to blow before "roughing it out"...

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Here we go again.

Yes, there were (don't know about still) people that evacuated from Katrina staying at WDW resorts. They were given FL Resident room rates. There was a big thread on this, I don't know where it is now.

As for crowds being down, this time of year isn't a busy season. It isn't that crowds are down, just that its less busy. It happens every year at this time, so you base it on the previous year, and not the preceding weeks.

bigkidz895

Wow... I hope this isn't true. Don't get me wrong, I think that coming to Disney would be a great distraction for the family and I'm sure that they will appreciate the joy and happy feelings from being there. But talk about poor timing. I don't think now is the time to be spending money frivolusly.:eek: I think this person could make a better choice.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
bigkidz895 said:
Wow... I hope this isn't true. Don't get me wrong, I think that coming to Disney would be a great distraction for the family and I'm sure that they will appreciate the joy and happy feelings from being there. But talk about poor timing. I don't think now is the time to be spending money frivolusly.:eek: I think this person could make a better choice.

Yeah :hammer: God forbid these people want a place to stay or to have a little fun when the rest of their lives are chaos. :brick:

wannab@dis

bigkidz895 said:

I'm sure they are lining up to get advice from you. You have no idea about their financial capabilities. :rolleyes:

Thrawn

Account Suspended
wannab@dis said:
I'm sure they are lining up to get advice from you. You have no idea about their financial capabilities. :rolleyes:

QFT. I know of one family that was there that can afford a few weeks (or months) at the Grand Floridian. I don't know if they are still there, but I (my company) was doing an install at a home of a semi-famous person of one heck of a audio video system that recently came into the area. He was from MS originally, and his family was still there, and their homes were all destroyed. So he gave them permission to charge whatever they needed on his accounts. Whats $1000 a night for someones family when they don't have a home, especially when the person paying makes millions per year.

And no, I won't say who it is, only that he plays a professional sport.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
PigletIsMyCat said:
Yeah, I thought this sounded a little familiar. Didn't we already have a horribly nasty thread devoted to this?

Yes, because someone couldn't understand that Disney would let evacuees stay for a discount :brick: :brick:

PigletIsMyCat

Hmph, if I remember correctly, it was ALOT worse than that. I personally think it's wonderful if it is true, and I don't really care as long as my wonderfully appointed room at the luxurious Pop Century is still mine....

Langdonj

Original Poster
Sorry to uravel this thread.

Sorry, I didn't think to do a thread search. Off line to long, and I wanted to get an idea of what crowds would be like when I'm there 25-28.

While we're at it, though, some evacuees are very well to do, and what better way to make the best of the disruption to their children's lives.

If someone wants to lock this thread, thats fine by me.

listentotheland

i was going to evacuate new orleans to wdw for katrina. i had reservation at all star sports and a game plan; however a friend of mine who didnt drive needed a way out so i ended up in shereveport, la instead. disney was kind enough to give me my deposit back though, i know its hard for them to give up money sometimes. i looked at it like this, if i was evacuating, i might as well go somewhere thats framiliar to me and somewhere i'll have fun; make the best out of a bad (what would end up being catastrophic) situation.

hcswingfield

listentotheland said:
i was going to evacuate new orleans to wdw for katrina. i had reservation at all star sports and a game plan; however a friend of mine who didnt drive needed a way out so i ended up in shereveport, la instead. disney was kind enough to give me my deposit back though, i know its hard for them to give up money sometimes. i looked at it like this, if i was evacuating, i might as well go somewhere thats framiliar to me and somewhere i'll have fun; make the best out of a bad (what would end up being catastrophic) situation.

Here, Here! and Bravo! Given the choice between WDW and a temporary bed in some strange town's civic center, you made the same choice I would make! Glad you are OK. Any news on your home?

kellydisney

Jeez guys it's just a question, who cares if there are or not. Thrawn, no wonder why some people don't like talking to you on here. "Here we go again" who are you to act all high and mighty over what can and can't be a topic? Who cares if it's been discussed before, yeah there's a search, but more often than not, many people didn't see the first one and we can all chime in on this one. Not getting what the big deal is. :rolleyes:

Langdonj

Original Poster
kellydisney said:
Jeez guys it's just a question, who cares if there are or not. Thrawn, no wonder why some people don't like talking to you on here. "Here we go again" who are you to act all high and mighty over what can and can't be a topic? Who cares if it's been discussed before, yeah there's a search, but more often than not, many people didn't see the first one and we can all chime in on this one. Not getting what the big deal is. :rolleyes:

Harumph! (did I spell that right?) :kiss:

Thrawn

Account Suspended
kellydisney said:

Because the first thread WAS LOCKED BY STEVE because it got so nasty. Did I not answer his question? I can post in any style I like. I didn't degrade him, or make a comment toward him. "Here we go again" is just a statement that we've been here before. And, by the post of "they shouldn't be frivolous" that was right below mine, it looks like I was right, huh?

And, once again, it is a forum rule to search before posting a new thread.

kellydisney

Hey, totally your perogative to post however you want. I'm just not surprised that some people are rubbed the wrong way by your writing style. There's being rude for laughs, which I am all for, and being rude because you just are. I thought you were the former.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom