Essential Movies to Watch Before First Trip

mcompanik

We have a trip planned for this May with our 2 sons and a 5 year old foster child. This will be the 5 year old's first trip to WDW. I have put together a list of movies for him to watch before we go so he has a better understanding of who the characters are, and some back story to some of the rides. Let me know if I missed something.

Cinderella
Aladin
Pirates of the Carribean
Davey Crocket
Peter Pan
Winnie the Pooh
Fantasia
Snow White
Monsters Inc.
Lilo & Stitch
Swiss Family Robinson
Finding Nemo
Lion King
Bugs Life
Song of the South (yes, I have a copy of it)
Dumbo
Little Mermaid
Toy Story
Cars
Muppets
Dinosaur

He watches Disney Jr., so he is familiar with those characters.

Mr Toad

Get the WDW guide book for kids by Birnbaum. There is a cool countdown of activites for kids to do starting at 10 days out. My kids loved doing that countdown. Would also be a good introduction to WDW for kids who have never been before.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

We have a trip planned for this May with our 2 sons and a 5 year old foster child. This will be the 5 year old's first trip to WDW. I have put together a list of movies for him to watch before we go so he has a better understanding of who the characters are, and some back story to some of the rides. Let me know if I missed something.

Cinderella
Aladin
Pirates of the Carribean
Davey Crocket
Peter Pan
Winnie the Pooh
Fantasia
Snow White
Monsters Inc.
Lilo & Stitch
Swiss Family Robinson
Finding Nemo
Lion King
Bugs Life
Dumbo
Little Mermaid
Toy Story
Cars
Muppets
Dinosaur

Not to get all "Won't someone Puh-LEEZE think of the children" on you, but just make sure that 5 year old can handle some of the darker elements in some of those titles. It's funny, because most of us have been surrounded by those movies for so long, we don't think twice of them, but everyone I know can tell me about a Disney movie they love NOW, but gave them nightmare when they first saw them as children. And as bleeding heart as this may sound, a lot of Disney movies deal with separation anxiety - children who get lost from their parents, or their parents die - and you're going to be showing them to a 5 year old foster child. At least Bambi isn't on your list, but Dumbo & especially Lion King can be rough. Just know what you're getting into...

And while I'd never begrudge anyone buying the new Muppets movie, I'd suggest it might be better to show a few episodes of the actual show. If you don't have any episodes, I do know that if you buy the new Muppets movie Blu-Ray combo pack at Target (starting tomorrow for only 25 bucks in my neck of the woods anyway), it comes with a special 6 episode Muppet Show sampler, 2 episodes from each of the first 3 seasons. Also comes with a digital copy of the movie and an mp3 folder of the soundtrack.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

Cinderella
Aladin
Pirates of the Carribean
Davey Crocket
Peter Pan
Winnie the Pooh
Fantasia
Snow White
Monsters Inc.
Lilo & Stitch
Swiss Family Robinson
Finding Nemo
Lion King
Bugs Life
Dumbo
Little Mermaid
Toy Story
Cars
Muppets
Dinosaur

Wow! That is quite a list! I would recommend maybe 5 of these, depending on when you plan on going and how much time you have to watch them. May I recommend getting the books instead? They come in smaller doses, highlight the plot and characters, leave out the dark elements. The golden books are good for this. There is also a complete Disney Story book out there which has most of these. I think for a kiddo to absorb this much material is a lot.

Upvote 0

chrissyw14

Beauty and the Beast
The Jungle Book

He probably doesn't have to watch Song of the South, I don't remember seeing it but I still love Splash Mountain.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom