Epcot's Ice Station Cool to undergo 6 month rehab

EpcotGrl

SKYWAY 4 ME said:
Apparently , a lady came in through the ice tunnel and slipped and got hurt .

When I worked there, people slipped & got hurt ALL the TIME, so this wouldn't surprise me at all...not to mention the CMs that got hurt in the snow tunnel. I'll miss the snow, but boy was it a b*&tch to work in :animwink:

PBarton

Maybe they had to close it because of so many people sueing Disney for damaged footwear...

The sticky floor was making too many shoe soles tear off! :p :brick:

speck76

PBarton said:
Maybe they had to close it because of so many people sueing Disney for damaged footwear...

The sticky floor was making too many shoe soles tear off! :p :brick:

That sounds like a marketing idea

Imagine T-shirts:

Beverly stole my sole!

I lost my sole at Ice Station Cool

Too bad it will be closed when we go in Oct. It's a nice break from the heat of the day! Maybe it will opening up early!!! Wishful thinking!!!!

awallaceunc

That's disappointing news! I'm looking at going later this year along with a friend who, like myself is a big Coke fan and he (unlike myself) hasn't been there since he was a small child and was so looking forward to it.

I will, however, say that I think the refurb is a good thing (even if the timing is questionable). The outside was a bit of a hindrance to Future World's theme, even if it was cool (pun intended) on its own, and the last time I was in there, I saw many of the same problems that some of you have (many of the fountains not working, sticky floor, no snow, etc.).

...That can be easily solved, though. If they make the outside more Innoventions-ish and do away with the snow (and any liabilities along with it), then perhaps when you enter it, the tunnel could now be a "Hyper-Freezing Chamber" or something, where mist is projected and it gets progressively colder and realistic-looking ice cickles hang from the ceilings and sides. Then, once you enter, it could be very similar to the old Coke room, but maybe with electric-looking lights running between globes on top of each Coke dispenser and the walls lined with a sleek metalic look. That way it's futuristic and "world community"-ish, while still offering (a)a cool theme, as opposed to a bland Coke station, (b)a way to get cold, (c)the whole notion of Coke from around the world. Just an idea, and with a 6 month refurb ahead, something this large-scale might be in the works! Or, like someone else said, it could go beside EE in AK, but that's unlikely.

-Aaron

WDWScottieBoy

Thankfully I now know of a Mezzo Mix supplier in the US and I was the first to get it! So, my fridge is FULL of Mezzo Mix. And when I run out, I don't have to wait to go to Epcot again.

Now...if only I can find someone who sells Beverly in the US. :lookaroun :lol:

JeffH

Redesign...

The old Icestation REQUIRED you to walk through the slippery snow to get to the "Ice Station", so I can see how someone could get upset and sue (although I've entered through the (clearly labelled) exits, when I didn't feel like circling around. It's basically like not being handicapped accessible.
Now if you walked right into the store and had the "option" to take a walk "outside" in the snow tunnel (through the well labelled entrances) and have some fun, then they'd have no more justification to sue, than a kid has to sue when he falls off a piece of playground equipment, because it is then your choice to do it.
If they redesigned it with this in mind, then both entrances to the snow tunnel could be inside and it would be easier to keep the cave real cold (no more blasts of 90 degree air following the guests in).
I agree with a previous post, though, that this belongs somewhere in World Showcase, but if they have to rebuild it in Future World (for the obvious placement where most everyone passes by it at least once), then it COULD be rebuild with the snow tunnel "attraction" if done properly.
My "safe" design...
The current snow tunnle would be where the (expanded) store would be (you'd walk directly into one side of the skinny store), and the drink 'bars' would be spread out (also into the current cave) and moved closer to the store counter, to leave room for the new snow tunnel. The entire inside would look like a store built inside an large ice cave. Then they could re-build the snow tunnel to run the whole length of store, behind the backdrop (which should be changed into a mural of soda experimentation machines. Both entrances/exits to the snow tunnel would supposidly lead to the outside, but where the cave entrance would be, is where the snow pile would be found. The theme would then be that the entrance is blocked with snow and we were all snowed in!!!

nickcarraway

unkadug said:
Like the person who burnt themselves on hot coffee at Mcdonald's, they sue and now Mcdonald's has to put a warning on their coffee cup:
"WARNING coffee is HOT."
So now Disney needs to put up a sign that says:
"WARNING SNOW IS WET and COLD"
:lol:

Actually, many people don't know this, but that coffee was so hot that it severely burned that woman's after the coffee spilled in her lap. She had to undergo several skin grafts. So I think she derserved her millions and millions of dollars. McDonald's had actually recieved over 700 compliants about hot coffee and never did a thing. I like it when civil suits cost a careless corporation and force change. I'm not saying they should get rid of the snow, but creating an entrance for those who want it and those who don't would be a good thing.

AEfx

nickcarraway said:
Actually, many people don't know this, but that coffee was so hot that it severely burned that woman's after the coffee spilled in her lap. She had to undergo several skin grafts. So I think she derserved her millions and millions of dollars. McDonald's had actually recieved over 700 compliants about hot coffee and never did a thing.

LOL.

Answer me this : how was it McDonald's fault that she was a klutz and spilled it?

Complaints about hot coffee...that's about as frivolous a lawsuit as ever there was.

I think I'm going to sue the Tru-Value Hardware Store chain because I banged my finger with a hammer I bought there - it's their fault because they made the hammer too hard! I want softer hammers!

AEfx

TheOneVader

AEfx said:
I think I'm going to sue the Tru-Value Hardware Store chain because I banged my finger with a hammer I bought there - it's their fault because they made the hammer too hard! I want softer hammers!

To quote Larry the Cable Guy: "I'm gonna sue Playboy for givin' me carpal tunnel syndrome."

mickeysaver

Cool! I thought it was looking kind of rough in December of 2003. We should be there the second week of December this year to see what they have done to the place. I have to admit the timing stinks for all the guests visiting during the busy and hot summer months though. But, it's great for us. We get to see what they do with the sister attraction to the one here in Atlanta. I am anxious to see what they do with the new World of Coca Cola here when they new Aquarium exhibit opens up down there too.

I rarely drink Coca Cola or any other sodas anymore. I have given them up for the most part in favor of flavored sparkling water products. But, it is good to take a swig of Beverly now and then just to remind yourself of just how good a Coke can be. lol Maggie

BwanaBob

AEfx said:
LOL.

AEfx
Damn straight!

Sue Tru-Value!

I don't need any more frivolous lawsuits.

peter11435

Actually, many people don't know this, but that coffee was so hot that it severely burned that woman's after the coffee spilled in her lap. She had to undergo several skin grafts. So I think she derserved her millions and millions of dollars. McDonald's had actually recieved over 700 compliants about hot coffee and never did a thing. I like it when civil suits cost a careless corporation and force change. I'm not saying they should get rid of the snow, but creating an entrance for those who want it and those who don't would be a good thing.

There are already two entrances. And no that lady did not deserve her millions. Any moron should know that coffee is hot and you don't want to spill it on yourself. I love how the Disney resort mugs have "Caution contents may be hot" printed on the lid. You would think that most people would be smart enough to know if they put something hot in ther mug, but then again the world is full of ignorant people.

JeffH

There are already two entrances, NOT

There are already two entrances.
Wrong, the exit is very well labeled EXIT (I believe that it actually says exit only) from the outside.
That means no entrance here...
Furthermore there is no identification at the exit to indicate that it is even the exit to ISC, so to a newcomer this is NOT an option. And to most (obsessive) rule abiding people, neither is the exit.

Whoever planned this "attraction" forgot the meaning of safety.

Tyffni

Future World Availability

Along the line of drinks...I heard that a lot of the food/drink options in future world are unavailable right now. Basically, if you what you want isn't on a cart then you should head to the World Showcase. Is that true?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom