News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

ToTBellHop

I don't know for sure.

Here are my context clues:
  • A while back I heard that the higher-ups didn't like the look of the WS lagoon like the rest of us. They okayed the permanent placement of the barges because the daytime fountains were expected to make it the view more pleasing; which we know turned out to be unsuccessful.
  • Disney hinted to catch Harmonious, during the 50th anniversary a few months ago on Twitter.
  • @wdwmagic has made a few hints on the replacement show:
    • "New show looks very promising"
    • "Sightlines won't be a problem"
    • EPCOT Forever is likely to return
I find it extremely unlikely they will double-down on the barges. And it still feels like half of the people here think the barges will live on, I guess we'll find out.
The barges are being removed next spring. Any future hardware will not be permanently docked in plain sight.

trainplane3

Absolutely. Well, and a new globe.

Still, would’ve been far cheaper than the tacos and donut.
New globe of course. Even if it had to stay parked behind the theater, I'm sure most would've been fine with it. The RoE globe really was cutting it close with the bridge.

Harmonious barge maintenance is a really funny thing. I can't believe the teams are okay with using "lift tied down with ratchet straps" versus the marina equipment:
HarmonioUS_Full_42651.jpg

The barges are being removed next spring. Any future hardware will not be permanently docked in plain sight.
Any modifications to be carried out on them?

trainplane3

I haven’t heard concretely but given the timeline, I would imagine so. But, significant modifications. I‘m just guessing there, though. I struggle to imagine they have time for truly new builds and the barges themselves are fine.
That's what I was thinking too. The base is fine but everything up top needs to go. While I think the arms were neat, they somehow add literally nothing to the show.

Though, they do sit really high in general...would be nice if there was a way to sink them down a bit.

GimpYancIent

Make some money and sell the barges as scrap. Maybe do a T.V. special about their removal. Then bring back the globe (bigger version and glittery). The globe meant more and looked better than the barges do any day / or night. Pyro and music can always be updated / changed up for variety.

TheMaxRebo

Oh wow. We will see Epcot Forever in April then. We've never seen it.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? :D

Man, I think we picked a bad time to skip our October trip and see Flower/Garden instead. Looks like everything will be happening at the time we normally travel.

You win some, you lose some.

I thought EF was pretty solid for a temporary show and was really nice to hear all the music from the old attractions. Ending was a bit annoying but is what it is.

Definitely worth seeing at least once

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I don't know for sure.

Here are my context clues:
  • A while back I heard that the higher-ups didn't like the look of the WS lagoon like the rest of us. They okayed the permanent placement of the barges because the daytime fountains were expected to make it the view more pleasing; which we know turned out to be unsuccessful.
  • Disney hinted to catch Harmonious, during the 50th anniversary a few months ago on Twitter.
  • @wdwmagic has made a few hints on the replacement show:
    • "New show looks very promising"
    • "Sightlines won't be a problem"
    • EPCOT Forever is likely to return
I find it extremely unlikely they will double-down on the barges. And it still feels like half of the people here think the barges will live on, I guess we'll find out.
I think the centerpiece is going to be replaced but the tacos are going to be stripped down to the top deck utilizing those barges for pyro, fountains and water images. Even if they manage to bring them in and out every day or hide them with fountains I think those barges taco or no taco are going to be Epcots nighttime show hardware for a very long time.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I thought EF was pretty solid for a temporary show and was really nice to hear all the music from the old attractions. Ending was a bit annoying but is what it is.

Definitely worth seeing at least once
I wouldn’t be surprised to see an updated show. “Updated returning guest favorite” sounds a lot better in a blog post than “an old show you’ve already seen that is literally the only thing we can manage to show in 6 months”

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
EF doesn't let anything breathe, so to speak. That's my biggest problem with it. 10-12 second snippet, say something, then on to the next 10-12 second snippet.

And please get rid of "A Whole New World" and put something more suitable in its place.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I'm glad EF is returning since I never got to see it in person - I of course saw RoE numerous times, and I got to see Harmonious in June, but didn't have any trips between May 2019 and June 2022. And I'm going in December (so I can see Harm again) and April, so I could get to see EF...

jrhwdw

So I spoke too soon!! Tonight there were by far the most people I've seen in the park in months!! A real significant number of people came out to view the show and I wondered why... Then I realized it was a not so scary Halloween party night. It all made sense! I was shocked to see the bridge by France loaded with people and then the space bety Japan and America only a little busy. People still don't even know how to fully enjoy the show.. I can't blame them for not liking it.
Well, Harm is the only Day Guest Show on Property on Party Nights! Who knows where F! is.......

TheMaxRebo

I wouldn’t be surprised to see an updated show. “Updated returning guest favorite” sounds a lot better in a blog post than “an old show you’ve already seen that is literally the only thing we can manage to show in 6 months”

If they change the ending it will definitely be welcome

Be interesting if they bring the kites back or stick with something closer to version 2.0 of it (or maybe that was version 1.1 and what we get now will be 2.0)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom