News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Dan Deesnee

Made me chuckle.

It's nice orchestral music with an awesome firework show. Not sure how it's anymore "Epcot" than harmonious. I just went and rewatched it on youtube, doesn't seem to have anything to do with any of the world showcase pavilions and just a generic message of global unity.

Nostalgia makes people love stuff a lot more than someone who doesn't have any nostalgia for the thing in question.

All that being said the barges are an absolute travesty and even though I loved harmonious I'm okay with it going away if it means those barges go with it.

Edit:

Watched Illuminations again, it really is a great show with awesome fireworks. I now wish we would have made more of an effort to see it. However, I still don't see the connection to the spirit of Epcot or the pavilions. I'd argue Harmonious does a much better job at that but it unfortunately uses IP / Disney movies to do it.

In a perfect world the barges would be brought out every night, and the shows IP would be replaced by awesome tributes to each country using the amazing possibilities the barges provide with their technology and fountains.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

It's nice orchestral music with an awesome firework show. Not sure how it's anymore "Epcot" than harmonious. I just went and rewatched it on youtube, doesn't seem to have anything to do with any of the world showcase pavilions and just a generic message of global unity.

Nostalgia makes people love stuff a lot more than someone who doesn't have any nostalgia for the thing in question.

All that being said the barges are an absolute travesty and even though I loved harmonious I'm okay with it going away if it means those barges go with it.

Edit:

Watched Illuminations again, it really is a great show with awesome fireworks. I now wish we would have made more of an effort to see it. However, I still don't see the connection to the spirit of Epcot or the pavilions. I'd argue Harmonious does a much better job at that but it unfortunately uses IP / Disney movies to do it.

In a perfect world the barges would be brought out every night, and the shows IP would be replaced by awesome tributes to each country using the amazing possibilities the barges provide with their technology and fountains.

I think it depends on your understanding of Epcot. I would argue I:ROE was by far the most "EPCOT" of everything at the park in its history. That assumes the "theme" of Epcot is showcasing the history and possibility of human achievement and culture. You had a show that showed the collective history of our planet that then highlighted some of the most important achievements on this rock. The addition of water. The evolution of plants then animals. And finally the birth of mankind, starting with one of our most important discoveries - fire and recorded history. We then got into how we invented transportation types - on land, sea and sky. And then switch into celebrations of culture and art around the world. We then celebrate that (i.e. fireworks) and move to reflect on some of the greatest achievers on earth - ending with a profound yet simple view of our planet spinning round with its mountains and oceans on display. From there, we have the false ending, as we move to a message of hope of tomorrow. In short, it follows the general flow of many of the great EPCOT Center attractions like Horizons, WoM, SSE, etc. - of looking to the past, then present, then future. And it does it in the most masterful way I think I've ever seen personally. With a score that has never been rivaled for inspiration at any Disney Park.

This isn't me trying to patronize you or anyone with what you likely know. Rather, it's me writing that out is so incredibly inspiring and uniting. THAT's what Epcot has always stood for to me. Showcasing individual countries felt very exclusionary - as does Disney with specific films. I:ROE was inclusionary about our collective history and our collective future. The park showcases differences in that path. To end with one, unified message at night about how our collective stories come together as one. That's why I think I:ROE was the most "EPCOT" of any attraction at the park in its history.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

If it makes you feel better we all generally thought the new Magic Kingdom show was a complete failure.
I dislike DE far for than Harm. I think Harm is really pretty when it all works. But the barges are hideous during the day. If they hadn’t gone cheap and were able to float the barges away for much of the day, it would likely stay in the park with a couple segments being updated. It was a shortsighted, foolish decision that is now costing tens of millions of dollars. They should have known better.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I dislike DE far for than Harm
I’m confused about how I feel about this. We actually prefer Enchantment to HEA. I know. Never let it be said I don’t like new things!

But anyway, the other problem (we have) with the current Epcot show - aside from 9am to 7pm - is IP. It’s a cartoon clip show. Epcot may be dumbed down now but still it used to be better than that. Send the content to the MK or Studios. Save some face and give World Showcase something original. Something with emotion. Something with wow and heart, not just bling. And weenies. Once again they show all their tricks too soon.

They really got bit big time with this one (and the decision suggests they didn’t grasp the issues with RoL)

Dan Deesnee

I think it depends on your understanding of Epcot. I would argue I:ROE was by far the most "EPCOT" of everything at the park in its history. That assumes the "theme" of Epcot is showcasing the history and possibility of human achievement and culture. You had a show that showed the collective history of our planet that then highlighted some of the most important achievements on this rock. The addition of water. The evolution of plants then animals. And finally the birth of mankind, starting with one of our most important discoveries - fire and recorded history. We then got into how we invented transportation types - on land, sea and sky. And then switch into celebrations of culture and art around the world. We then celebrate that (i.e. fireworks) and move to reflect on some of the greatest achievers on earth - ending with a profound yet simple view of our planet spinning round with its mountains and oceans on display. From there, we have the false ending, as we move to a message of hope of tomorrow. In short, it follows the general flow of many of the great EPCOT Center attractions like Horizons, WoM, SSE, etc. - of looking to the past, then present, then future. And it does it in the most masterful way I think I've ever seen personally. With a score that has never been rivaled for inspiration at any Disney Park.

This isn't me trying to patronize you or anyone with what you likely know. Rather, it's me writing that out is so incredibly inspiring and uniting. THAT's what Epcot has always stood for to me. Showcasing individual countries felt very exclusionary - as does Disney with specific films. I:ROE was inclusionary about our collective history and our collective future. The park showcases differences in that path. To end with one, unified message at night about how our collective stories come together as one. That's why I think I:ROE was the most "EPCOT" of any attraction at the park in its history.

This was exceptionally written and I really appreciate the explanation. As someone who watched the show 1 time in person and twice in high def on youtube the only thing you mentioned that I was able to catch during was the earth formation volcano part at the beginning. After that it's all just too abstract for me to pick out anything you mentioned (anything you mentioned not explicitly shown on video on the globe). And to just show videos on the globe to portray things, that is pretty easy to do and not creative in my opinion.

Again though, I do see why people love I:ROE. The fireworks are fantastic and I love the music. I am sorry for those mourning its loss. My hope is that what replaces Harmonious is a wonderful mix of both I:ROE and Harmonious.

James Alucobond

I’m confused about how I feel about this. We actually prefer Enchantment to HEA. I know. Never let it be said I don’t like new things!

But anyway, the other problem (we have) with the current Epcot show - aside from 9am to 7pm - is IP. It’s a cartoon clip show. Epcot may be dumbed down now but still it used to be better than that. Send the content to the MK or Studios. Save some face and give World Showcase something original. Something with emotion. Something with wow and heart, not just bling. And weenies. Once again they show all their tricks too soon.

They really got bit big time with this one (and the decision suggests they didn’t grasp the issues with RoL)
Even if you're someone who likes HEA more than Enchantment, at least it can be agreed upon that Enchantment is still fundamentally a Magic Kingdom-styled show. Harmonious is not an EPCOT-styled show. And it's not just that there's IP now; it's that the way in which shows are viewed at EPCOT is fundamentally different. The pacing, energy, and storytelling need to match the venue, and blasting people's faces off for 23 minutes isn't right for EPCOT.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

I was scared to type it on this board but me too! It’s not the 50th show I wanted but it’s a solid MK fireworks that reminds me a little of the old Fantasy in the Sky show.
This is why I like the show so much, closest thing we’ve had to Fantasy in the Sky. Now if they could just get rid of all the awful projections and just let the castle be a castle.

ToTBellHop

This is why I like the show so much, closest thing we’ve had to Fantasy in the Sky. Now if they could just get rid of all the awful projections and just let the castle be a castle.
I like the strategy during Wonderful Christmastime—keep it a castle but change the “building materials”. That’s cool.

It simply doesn’t work as a projection screen and they need to stop trying.

TQQQ

LOVED Illuminations. My family always had this great feeling of anticipation when we heard the announcement that the show was starting. Really miss it

Animaniac93-98

It helps that they actually improved the show with the newer intro.

How nice it is to have Walt [and Roy] Disney and classic MK attractions featured in a Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom show!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sorry to be that person, but why?
It feels classier. Perhaps classic. I was surprised too, perhaps it’s some of the music choices and styles - particularly the classic Disney songs and the orchestration and style. Whilst not a big fan of projections for the sake of them Michelle commented she found this show to be less brash, distracting and in your face visual wise. And despite it being half Frozen 😁 I really liked the obligatory evil section music and pyro wise. The timing is a bit off for the big finale mind (big hole in the sky under the high shells before the crescendo) but we did enjoy it overall. Could still use more classic Disney mind IMHO. Swapping the ending You Are the Magic for a reworked Disneyworld is Your World would have been a masterstroke.

yensidtlaw1969

Seconding the notion that the difference between HEA and DE is far less dramatic than some would have us believe. I still don't understand what happened there - I can hardly even decide on a preference given how basically similar the shows are, yet people act like HEA was the second coming and DE rolled right out of the dustbin.

Neither one is the tour-de-force they could or should be . . . they're both just, like, competent fireworks shows.

Vinnie Mac

It feels classier. Perhaps classic.
In a way yeah. It feels like an updated classic Disney production.

One moment that feels this way and personally one of my favorite moments of the show was the transition into the colorful animation section (the part where the Main Street projections come on). It is so well done and the music makes it feel grand almost.

I hope with the new version of HEA the introduction of the main street projections is as well done.

Vinnie Mac

Seconding the notion that the difference between HEA and DE is far less dramatic than some would have us believe. I still don't understand what happened there - I can hardly even decide on a preference given how basically similar the shows are, yet people act like HEA was the second coming and DE rolled right out of the dustbin.

Neither one is the tour-de-force they could or should be . . . they're both just, like, competent fireworks shows.
I think HEA is a lot more of an emotional show though. It has a surprisingly mature storyline for a Magic Kingdom show. I have never once watched that show without at least becoming somewhat emotional.

To me the show represents the idea that struggles can be overcome to find your own Happily Ever after. I'll even take some lyrics from the main song that I feel like best highlight the meaning of the show

"The battles, the stories, the losses and all of the glories

We're changed by the way, we live everyday, just look up and reach for the sky

We all have the courage to fly"

The Hercules section followed by THOSE lyrics, tinker bell, and then the finale of the show is such a beautiful string of events.

Vinnie Mac

This also isn't to say that Enchantment doesn't have a story. I just think HEA's is more emotionally charged.

I've seen plenty of reaction videos online for HEA. There was one I saw where the whole family was emotional towards the end. This show has left grown men in tears. Not a lot of shows have this type of effect on people and the ones that do are very special. Illuminations, HEA, and like maybe Wishes all have this type of impact. Very special shows

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I am firmly in the camp that vehemently disliked HEA due to it's ADD-nightmare approach visually, and musically it just wasn't my cup of tea. DE was slightly more enjoyable, which honestly surprised me. That being said, I would not go out of my way to watch either show, which is the opposite of how I felt about Wishes!, without a doubt. And you could watch Wishes! from several locations and be able to understand the show because it wasn't centered around projections on the castle. The music and narration, if you will, told the story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom