News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

trainplane3

Wow, they really got some great talent for this score. No wonder it's one of the best they've ever done at Epcot.

We had a show about the history of Epcot and it was absolutely awful. Who couldn't have the foresight to see a show that appeals to a niche group of super fans would flop so badly? Disney hasn't been able to create a tribute show to their parks since Remember...Dreams Come True.
But also people are forgetting Epcot Forever was meant to be a filler show with a one year run and then being done. Instead it almost ran for 3 years with varying degrees of pyro modifications and cuts.
Satisfaction scores are good for luminous, so no nothing is coming in 2025 To Epcot.
If anything, the show should be eyed for upgrades if it keeps it up.

Though I'll argue the middles bits of music should be changed up to not be so glaringly "we yoinked this from *movie* because it's the easy thing to do". The Toy Story bits are the most obvious of this.

Chef idea Mickey`=

why on earth cant Disney start an Epcot show with walts words, '' and we call in Epcot '' ( you know the rest ) then from those words the crowd will be going wild i promise you! Then the music from reflections to be programmed along with the fire works, pieces of music through Epcot's history , then this show could shine, at the moment its, start again for the 3rd time Disney, please stop ramming narration down our throats, yes reflections had this, but the story was far better. look forward to R.O.E part 2 in 2025 ( cos its coming folks )
Epcot Forever had that with Walt's voice... in this show I heard there's Walt's voice for a sec saying "welcome".

What they could do is I know they can't upgrade Illumination's unless they rebuild everything but what they could do is create a sequel to Illumination's using the same soundtrack, or use the exact same theme just make something beautiful again but sadly the best imagineers aren't around.*

Luminous is fine and I'd argue that the entire show is at the same level as Illuminations. Illuminations just had a better intro/ending, but Luminous has a solid "center" outside of that one song...

Also, they were filming what seemed to be a commercial over in Italy last night, so I'd imagine they are trying to ramp up the marketing around this soon.
Not the same level for what the music did to you. That's what separates Illumination's ROE from everything. Epcot Forever comes second behind.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

Wow, they really got some great talent for this score. No wonder it's one of the best they've ever done at Epcot.

We had a show about the history of Epcot and it was absolutely awful. Who couldn't have the foresight to see a show that appeals to a niche group of super fans would flop so badly? Disney hasn't been able to create a tribute show to their parks since Remember...Dreams Come True.
Now where did you see read or hear that it flopped so bad..? I think you are confusing to the response from Harmonious or Disney's Enchantment.

mattpeto

I kind of like how people just compare Luminous (v1) to RoE (vX). How many versions of Illuminations existed before we got to RoE?

Luminous is an excellent right step forward with:
  • Mobile barges
  • Good view angles from around the lagoon
  • Original music including a song (or two) that feels very RoE-ish
  • Cohesive story - narration is a big part of that
As much as Harmonious dazzled me with some of it's music, colors and overall spectacles, it missed all of those bullet points.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
But also people are forgetting Epcot Forever was meant to be a filler show with a one year run and then being done. Instead it almost ran for 3 years with varying degrees of pyro modifications and cuts.
The OG Epcot Forever was the best version. I saw it opening night and thought it would be a great short-term show. Then it kept coming back more times than Cher; except, unlike Cher, the show got worse each time.
Now where did you see read or hear that it flopped so bad..? I think you are confusing to the response from Harmonious or Disney's Enchantment.
Well, the lackluster audience reception every time I saw it when I still lived in the area is all I needed to prove my point.

Chef idea Mickey`=

The OG Epcot Forever was the best version. I saw it opening night and thought it would be a great short-term show. Then it kept coming back more times than Cher; except, unlike Cher, the show got worse each time.

Well, the lackluster audience reception every time I saw it when I still lived in the area is all I needed to prove my point.
It's like you are blaming Epcot Forever when it's not Epcot Forever's fault for any of the modifications (that (needed) to happen (kites removed bc barges) or they (decided) to do with it. Epcot Forever wasn't created nor made to get rid and replace Illumination's ROE. Harmonious is (why) for not upgrading Illumination's ROE and (why) they listened and gave us Luminous. Who cares what audience feedback you saw to EF, no one in the end total responded what Harmonious got and Disney's Enchantment got in viral droves nor does it compare.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

I am an admitted fan of Luminous. It's the only reason I renewed my pass. Not to say it's anywhere near the I:ROE level. But, it feels EPCOT more than HARM or even EF did. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it is something different and emotional - which I greatly appreciate.

I think @mattpeto is on the right track. There are some "basic requirements" for an "EPCOT show" that should always be followed. And, Luminous (physically) is also very flexible. It won't have anywhere near the legs of I:ROE. But, I don't think you have to be a show designer or engineer to see how it's tricks could be expanded into Luminous 2028, updating music and story and adding some new tricks. Or, if you rearranged things a bit, you could easily restore a new I:ROE with just a new globe or means of projection.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes

If she did One Heartbeat wouldn't it be highlighted here?

She performs it in the post show, similar to Hoying’s cover of Beating only being audible in that segment. Hollywood/Walt Disney Records credits Shalea, Katherine, and Scott as lyricists for each song in the show, so it seems like they each performed different versions.

One Heartbeat sounds like a Taylor Swift song and I despise it. Hoying’s acoustic version of Beating of our Hearts is as good as Promise, some of y’all just aren’t ready for that yet. Your kids are gonna love it.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Ah yes, I love the EPCOT nighttime spectacular with

-A meaningful message about humanity and unity
-Eric Tucker’s pyro design
-An impressive center barge that reveals it’s trick in the finale
-Low Profile and Mobile fountain barges
-Attending a tribal gathering ‘around the fire’ to tell a story
-Catchy original songs
-Proper use of the pavilions as support for the show’s visuals

Im talking about Luminous. What did you think I was referring to?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Satisfaction scores are good for luminous, so no nothing is coming in 2025 To Epcot.
Same for HEA, and yet they replaced HEA with DE.

Ostensibly for a 50th Anniversary show, except it had nothing Anniversary-ish about it (until they tacked on the Walt prologue).

Luckily, it was brought back.

So, pixie-snorting shill that I am... I wouldn't put it past them to try a new show. Tho, the cost of two interim shows (one of which, was interim not by design) might make them hold off on that.

I would like to see them make tweaks and tags. The set-up seems amenable to such things.

Last edited:

Mark Dunne

I have as many people have, seen illuminations many times live , I’m an Epcot fan , just watched again on you tube , the timing of fireworks to music was perfect , I get the fireworks today are more impressive, and more sophisticated, and by today’s standards the water jets need more omph, but can you imagine, keep the music and use new fireworks,4 k globe it’s then one of the best shows ever, honestly watch the timing of the fireworks to music, it’s incredible,even the high notes have smaller fireworks firing up ,and it was brilliant for nearly 20 years , I’m not against change at all, but the true fact is, Disney don’t seem have the skilled people to make these new shows coherent or make any sense, point in case, H.E.A bought back , and imo it was a fitting rpl for wishes ( another classic ) but we are on the 2nd rpl show now in Epcot, and I think they will change it again , I made a point of watching luminous 3 times during our stay this Jan, sorry it just didn’t do it for me , for those who like the new show, enjoy , just not for me .

mattpeto

I have as many people have, seen illuminations many times live , I’m an Epcot fan , just watched again on you tube , the timing of fireworks to music was perfect , I get the fireworks today are more impressive, and more sophisticated, and by today’s standards the water jets need more omph, but can you imagine, keep the music and use new fireworks,4 k globe it’s then one of the best shows ever, honestly watch the timing of the fireworks to music, it’s incredible,even the high notes have smaller fireworks firing up ,and it was brilliant for nearly 20 years , I’m not against change at all, but the true fact is, Disney don’t seem have the skilled people to make these new shows coherent or make any sense, point in case, H.E.A bought back , and imo it was a fitting rpl for wishes ( another classic ) but we are on the 2nd rpl show now in Epcot, and I think they will change it again , I made a point of watching luminous 3 times during our stay this Jan, sorry it just didn’t do it for me , for those who like the new show, enjoy , just not for me .
Appreciate the perspective and difference of opinion. Hoping the new show can grow on you.

Vinnie Mac

Luminous is fine and I'd argue that the entire show is at the same level as Illuminations. Illuminations just had a better intro/ending, but Luminous has a solid "center" outside of that one song...

Also, they were filming what seemed to be a commercial over in Italy last night, so I'd imagine they are trying to ramp up the marketing around this soon.
The way I see it is that the intro and finale is better with ROE but the middle section is better with LSOU. What Luminous does well is what ROE does better and what ROE falls flat in is what Luminous does well with

Chef idea Mickey`=

Maybe for the fireworks, but I honestly my opinion* I think Heartbeat Symphony and Beating of Our Hearts for original songs are great but are they timeless? As for the Disney tunes those don't seem to hold up a longevity factor unlike the Harmonious ones or HEA. It falls in the same stroke as Enchantment where you enjoy it for the time being. In order for the original songs to have a longevity the songs should featured an array of voices since the primary theme of this show is "us". Harmonious and EF soundtrack united a whole cast of many whether from different cultures or age for it's massive intros and finales. Illumination's ROE only had the singer who did We Go On but her voice was so that it hit you hard no matter how many times you heard it that it was timeless proven for 20 years! I am not a fan of the Disneyfied male and female duet form like HEA and Enchantment but I really really thought Harmonious was Epic how they had 3 different voices singing at once and coming together in the most separate but altogether inclusion!*

Last edited:

Mark Dunne

Appreciate the perspective and difference of opinion. Hoping the new show can grow on you.
Thanks, as Disney fans we want so much to be perfect, I've been coming since 93 ( 53 now ) i think in all the years they've done an amazing job in keeping there parks amazing, changing attractions, lands, even the foods iconic now, so here's to the next 31 years of spending far to much money, meeting fantastic cast members, and all the great people on the buses ( i still remember the days when i could sit on an actual seat before 10am LOL ) to all the Americans that have made our trips amazing, we thank you all, now lets go change that imagination pavilion, i think we can all agree on that 👍

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom