News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Haymarket2008

Illuminations was a masterpiece.
Epcot Forever was extremely disappointing.
Harmonious was a pretty good Disney+ commercial that had no place in EPCOT.

Happy to report that Luminous was really quite lovely. Similarly to Journey of Water, the content and concept was FIRST and foremost…. the Disney material all worked to support it. The opposite was true of Harmonius. While still not a home run replacement to Illuminations, the powers that be should be proud of creating a thoughtful show while fulfilling the “IP mandate”.

Epcot82Guy

Happy to report that Luminous was really quite lovely. Similarly to Journey of Water, the content and concept was FIRST and foremost…. the Disney material all worked to support it. The opposite was true of Harmonius. While still not a home run replacement to Illuminations, the powers that be should be proud of creating a thoughtful show while fulfilling the “IP mandate”.

I agree with this in many ways.

I do think Luminous suffers slightly in the details, but you can almost feel that was because of budget restraints. Had Luminous had just a bit more money (thinking a few more infrastructure tricks, a more refined narration with the same idea, etc.), it would have been a very good balance for the two sides of the Epcot fence. (And coming from a purist where I:ROE is my favorite Disney attraction of all time.) It also has creativity in execution that would allow the show to expand/evolve/be redone in many ways - without having to scrap what exists. (If only we could have done that with I:ROE.)

Haymarket2008

I agree with this in many ways.

I do think Luminous suffers slightly in the details, but you can almost feel that was because of budget restraints. Had Luminous had just a bit more money (thinking a few more infrastructure tricks, a more refined narration with the same idea, etc.), it would have been a very good balance for the two sides of the Epcot fence. (And coming from a purist where I:ROE is my favorite Disney attraction of all time.) It also has creativity in execution that would allow the show to expand/evolve/be redone in many ways - without having to scrap what exists. (If only we could have done that with I:ROE.)

Completely agree. My biggest gripe was that it felt like it didn’t get the budget it deserved.

Epcot82Guy

Completely agree. My biggest gripe was that it felt like it didn’t get the budget it deserved.

Totally. The thing that makes me so sad is to think what could have happened if they had (1) followed Luminous up front vs. Harmounious, and (2) not torn down Innoventions West and repurposed what they had (pushing JoW back into World Nature or redoing just that quarter).

I just hope lessons were learned.

Haymarket2008

Totally. The thing that makes me so sad is to think what could have happened if they had (1) followed Luminous up front vs. Harmounious, and (2) not torn down Innoventions West and repurposed what they had (pushing JoW back into World Nature or redoing just that quarter).

I just hope lessons were learned.

Ugh don't get me started on Innoventions West. Just imagine the comparable refurb that could have received alongside Connections and Creations. Would have been great.

Hopefully things are substantively looking up with Test Track 3.0 and fingers crossed for Imagination.

wfitz

Had another show in B-Mode last night February 12th!

Attachments

• IMG_4629.png
    IMG_4629.png
    595.2 KB · Views: 107

FutureCEO

I just watched it (well, listening to it when working), the music still doesn't work for me even the original music. Still 1000 times better than Stargate.

Chef idea Mickey`=

I have to say they really fooled us with this because had the presentation had the barges appear how they would turned out to be it would of started conversations and feelings. This also crys out major budget cuts by how Grander it looks compromises to their statement as one of the Largest Nighttime Fireworks they've ever done, the laser effects, massive colors in the fireworks..etc

What's shocking is the distancing placements of the barges, and how the taco shells look smaller showing they don't rise over in eye soar over the countries.

Attachments

• the-epcot-experience-harmonious-clean-1-1024x467.jpg
    the-epcot-experience-harmonious-clean-1-1024x467.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 102
  • the-epcot-experience-harmonious-01012020-1-1024x682.jpg
    the-epcot-experience-harmonious-01012020-1-1024x682.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 100
  • harmonious-concept-art-epcot-experience-5.jpg
    harmonious-concept-art-epcot-experience-5.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 85
  • l-intro-1601410147.jpg
    l-intro-1601410147.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 96

TTA94

I have to say they really fooled us with this because had the presentation had the barges appear how they would turned out to be it would of started conversations and feelings. This also crys out major budget cuts by how Grander it looks compromises to their statement as one of the Largest Nighttime Fireworks they've ever done, the laser effects, massive colors in the fireworks..etc

What's shocking is the distancing placements of the barges, and how the taco shells look smaller showing they don't rise over in eye soar over the countries.

If only we would have gotten the rotating compass center barge that was in the first presentation at D23.

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
barges were out all day today, so is this the set up now just to leave them out?
I believe it’s been said prior, but they’re still working out scheduling and operations.

Park ops has also asked that the pyro team leave the barges out on high attendance days as to not disrupt crowd flow in World Showcase, which is honestly less infuriating than flooding GR with over exaggerated complaints and rants.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Wow I remember seeing this but then forgotten about it only then focused on the Epcot Preview one. It strikes me how everything doesn't look disco rainbow octopus and that compass looks round screen makes you think of the Illumination's Globe and instead it opens up this one breaks open by turning. However this could just be a presentation... it also looks somehow like the taco shells rotate around and not just sit there... if so there's a lot of turning for everyone to see wherever they stood or am I dreaming... 😆

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
Do any of you remember the ‘leak’ of the supposed version of We Go On from Harmonious?

The only copy that was uploaded to YouTube is unlisted right now.

That D23 video is bringing back so many little memories of that nightmare’s development.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom