News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

trainplane3

Anyone know where that music is from?
I saw some different pyro in there, with plenty of EPCOT Forever pyro used, so for a one off show definitely not bad. Some original Illuminations and Illuminations 25 mixed with tapestry is a pretty good score. Can’t tell myself, but did anyone notice if all of that pyro was shot from Luminous barges, or were there some others used?
I heard some Tapestry, Illuminations 25, and some Fountains of Nations show music. There could have been more but I had to walk away for a second and can’t go back and rewatch at the moment.
It's the usual Epcot anniversary tag soundtrack that's been used for over a decade now I think. Not that it's a bad thing but the soundtrack is extremely far from brand new.

It's really nice they programmed up the fountains and lighting because they didn't do any of that for Harmonious:

gerarar

Premium Member
I saw some different pyro in there, with plenty of EPCOT Forever pyro used, so for a one off show definitely not bad. Some original Illuminations and Illuminations 25 mixed with tapestry is a pretty good score. Can’t tell myself, but did anyone notice if all of that pyro was shot from Luminous barges, or were there some others used?
From what I could tell from the few videos of it, all the pyro came from additional barges that were brought out not tied to Luminous. The WW3 barges were also out.

Luminous barges were just used strictly for fountains and lights it seems.

jrhwdw

Yeah its the tag that was introduced with EPCOT's 30th.

Nicely done with the new firework design. Here is the same show with RoE hardware.

After last night, it begs the question.....Why won't Epcot Man Up and do that Tag every Oct 1st?!?!?! Same with POE for the Holidays?!?!?! We Know Epcot is beyond Capable........

Last edited:

DisQuick

IMG_3987.jpeg
Vocalist from Luminous says that they are working on getting the original songs from Luminous onto streaming.

TrainsOfDisney

Not that anyone needs one more opinion but I saw Luminous for the first time last week. Saw it twice. Overall it’s a good show - lovely mix of fireworks, pyro, lights and fountains.

Some of the music doesn’t fit too good and there is too much narration (I don’t really think we need any narration) but it feels like Epcot to me so that’s a huge win.

I tried to like Harmonious but it was really really bad on so many levels - I give Disney credit for fixing it as quickly as they did. That was a massive financial mistake.

I feel like the tech for luminous will lend itself to redesigns very easily.

Chef idea Mickey`=

Not that anyone needs one more opinion but I saw Luminous for the first time last week. Saw it twice. Overall it’s a good show - lovely mix of fireworks, pyro, lights and fountains.

Some of the music doesn’t fit too good and there is too much narration (I don’t really think we need any narration) but it feels like Epcot to me so that’s a huge win.

I tried to like Harmonious but it was really really bad on so many levels - I give Disney credit for fixing it as quickly as they did. That was a massive financial mistake.

I feel like the tech for luminous will lend itself to redesigns very easily.
I do agree that there's a lot of narrative, I think the only person that we wouldn't mind was the artist singer who sang We Go On and Promise.

This particular show does need the narration otherwise it be random thrown like Harmonious did. Only unless everyone had the narration descripted for each song on their map... Illumination's Reflection's of Earth was incredible in itself that it didn't even have narration spoken but you discovered later yourself each section components and what each sequence segments of the show represented... no one said chaos or adventure... Epcot Forever had narration but it was the best format and exciting more style of celebratory which Luminous goes in another direction in life approach which is away from Illumination's ROE, Epcot Forever and Harmonious. Sure Illumination's was the same but the biggest part of the show was celebratory, the whole show wasn't the same explanation of what happens in life.

Last edited:

Chef idea Mickey`=

The only way you can have Luminous w/o all this narration spoken out is if they kept the entire show using the original music, the singer, telling of the show by singing it!*

Chef idea Mickey`=

We basically went from a 20 year show of celebration of life of the world, our existence, made us teary, nostalgic (Illumination's ROE) to a temporary show of epcot celebratory of its past, and Walt's let to been known vision, to finally a supposed to been new permanent show of celebrating harmony through different parts of the world their location connected by a Disney film's represented location, it was robust energy beginning to end, basically a feast of celebration to dance the night away.. a return of Epcot Forever continue that celebratory factor to now finally Luminous a story of us, of life path, purpose that when we unite we are like a symphony.. okay... but what do we celebrate aside that? Being at epcot? ?

This is why I feel Luminous is more of an Animal Kingdom even SeaWorld show because drawing that aspect of life united would suit fit with all the animals of our planet earth as well. World Showcase power should be only about celebrating cultures, the future, or epcot. Illumination's celebrated the millennium, all the cultures, the future, epcot, uniting us through hope...it checked all the boxes!***

My conclusion is basically saying of the three shows we had prior to before Luminous that those checked the boxes it needed aside the barges doom, Disney IP music of Harmonious however it was sung by persons from the different part of the World so its still culture of around the world.

Luminous is a story about Life and our singing and united calling through voice...mmmm African culture is mighty in that..mmm Animal Kingdom..to me..

Last edited:

Vinnie Mac

I do agree that there's a lot of narrative, I think the only person that we wouldn't mind was the artist singer who sang We Go On and Promise.

This particular show does need the narration otherwise it be random thrown like Harmonious did. Only unless everyone had the narration descripted for each song on their map... Illumination's Reflection's of Earth was incredible in itself that it didn't even have narration spoken but you discovered later yourself each section components and what each sequence segments of the show represented... no one said chaos or adventure... Epcot Forever had narration but it was the best format and exciting more style of celebratory which Luminous goes in another direction in life approach which is away from Illumination's ROE, Epcot Forever and Harmonious. Sure Illumination's was the same but the biggest part of the show was celebratory, the whole show wasn't the same explanation of what happens in life.
Yeah the narration helps tie LSOU together really well and I think is what justifies the use of IP. I also just like the story overall of LSOU. It returns the story back to one that's about us, humanity.

Epcot Forever was a celebration of EPCOT Center and Harmonious was a celebration of.... Disney music?

Illuminations tells the story of our planet and celebrates our species and Luminous tells the story of life and the connection we share because of our lived experiences

Vinnie Mac

Each time I listen/watch to Luminious I find more to love about it. You start to notice the small details in the light and fountain movements. Building the show on how we relate to each other in different ways was an inspired choice and compels some very emotional moments.
One of my favorite details in the show happens early in the show in opening act. Whenever the lyrics "the wind in the trees, the tides of the ocean" are played, the fountains turn into a forest and an ocean. You don't need screens for good visuals!

I'm so glad Luminous exist it's a great show and I can't wait to see it again hopefully within the next couple of months

Brian

One of my favorite details in the show happens early in the show in opening act. Whenever the lyrics "the wind in the trees, the tides of the ocean" are played, the fountains turn into a forest and an ocean. You don't need screens for good visuals!
I used to work very closely with what is now known as DPLE folks on the administrative end. It's those kind of comments that the show designers and programmers love to hear, but so seldom do. They toil endlessly on tiny little details like that which most guests will never notice because there's other things to look at, or, if they do, they don't put two and two together to understand the artistic intent.

OSUPhantom

I used to work very closely with what is now known as DPLE folks on the administrative end. It's those kind of comments that the show designers and programmers love to hear, but so seldom do. They toil endlessly on tiny little details like that which most guests will never notice because there's other things to look at, or, if they do, they don't put two and two together to understand the artistic intent.
It definitely shows the more you watch it. And I think where Luminous outshined Harmonious is the fact this artistic moments are more subtle here versus Harmonious where the use of screens made everything very literal and clear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom