News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

James Alucobond

Whoa, I had not seen this angle of the GotG showbuilding. That is UGLY. Black smears going down the launch tunnel? Yuck.
It's awful. Really wish they'd just put a super basic envelope around it where the top-down cross section at the roof is a rounded-corner rectangle and the cross section near the base is a rounded-corner isosceles trapezoid with a concave curve on the side facing Wonders of Life. Then just face the straightaway connector with artificial foliage. Or whatever. I honestly don't care what they do as long as I don't see corrugated metal, gutters, and obvious grime buildup.

Epcot82Guy

It's awful. Really wish they'd just put a super basic envelope around it where the top-down cross section at the roof is a rounded-corner rectangle and the cross section near the base is a rounded-corner isosceles trapezoid with a concave curve on the side facing Wonders of Life. Then just face the straightaway connector with artificial foliage. Or whatever. I honestly don't care what they do as long as I don't see corrugated metal, gutters, and obvious grime buildup.

I would strongly suggest not looking up (or down) at Tron...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Whoa, I had not seen this angle of the GotG showbuilding. That is UGLY. Black smears going down the launch tunnel? Yuck.

But I am glad the sightlines for World Showcase won't be besmirched by tacos any longer.
Meh. Space Mountain and SSE also accrue black mold stripes that has to be pressure washed every so often.

As an aside, this is part of the reason Disney replaces or rethemes attractions rather than add a brand new one. Each attraction has a cost for upkeep and maintenance and staffing. Once an attraction isn't pulling its weight in bringing in guests or has growing maintenance and upkeep costs, a financial decision has to be made:
  • Pay for a huge refurb and keep it the same.
  • Pay for a huge refurb, but retheme it to something more popular (or less 'problematic').
  • Pay for a replacement attraction.
Putting new attractions everywhere when you have attractions becoming problematic... you address the problematic ones first.

James Alucobond

I would strongly suggest not looking up (or down) at Tron...
TRON at least has finished paneling on the front, even if it doesn't look great and they forgot about the entire left side facing Storybook Circus and the right side facing the Contemporary. It doesn't look good, but it's addressed in some way, however poorly. Cosmic Rewind, on the other hand, is visible from tons of places and just looks like a low-grade misshapen warehouse from every angle, even within World Discovery.

TheMaxRebo

Meh. Space Mountain and SSE also accrue black mold stripes that has to be pressure washed every so often.

As an aside, this is part of the reason Disney replaces or rethemes attractions rather than add a brand new one. Each attraction has a cost for upkeep and maintenance and staffing. Once an attraction isn't pulling its weight in bringing in guests or has growing maintenance and upkeep costs, a financial decision has to be made:
  • Pay for a huge refurb and keep it the same.
  • Pay for a huge refurb, but retheme it to something more popular (or less 'problematic').
  • Pay for a replacement attraction.
Putting new attractions everywhere when you have attractions becoming problematic... you address the problematic ones first.

definitely - though ideally they do both. Like for Animal Kingdom, it shouldn't be redo Dinoland OR add to the park, it should be both

TheMaxRebo

TRON at least has finished paneling on the front, even if it doesn't look great and they forgot about the entire left side facing Storybook Circus and the right side facing the Contemporary. It doesn't look good, but it's addressed in some way, however poorly. Cosmic Rewind, on the other hand, is visible from tons of places and just looks like a low-grade misshapen warehouse from every angle, even within World Discovery.

and they could have done something creative that fits with Xandar and it is part of their pavilion, or something ... at least for views from inside the park

TTA94

Little Tacos was my first thought.... Hope Steve's excitement is correct and this not just a different version of Harm......

Very unpopular opinion but I kinda want the soundtrack to be like Harmonious, but even better with an original theme song. I don’t mind instrumental like Illuminations but not sure I want Luminous to be all instrumental. I feel it might be though.

Vinnie Mac

Very unpopular opinion but I kinda want the soundtrack to be like Harmonious, but even better with an original theme song. I don’t mind instrumental like Illuminations but not sure I want Luminous to be all instrumental. I feel it might be though.
I have a feeling Luminous will be mostly instrumental with hints of Disney music

McMickeyWorld

Based on how they describe it "along with evocative selections from the Disney songbook," I think it will be very similar to "Tree of Life Awakening."

James Alucobond

So the Scrims are just blocking the equipment? Epcot shouldn't need those if the barges move into WSL late in the day.
They will still be visible in the later afternoon and during the show itself. The fountains will also likely draw your eye down toward them. There’s no reason they shouldn’t look as good as they can, even if it’s not strictly necessary.

fgmnt

But I am glad the sightlines for World Showcase won't be besmirched by tacos any longer.
It really jumps out at you when entering from the International Gateway entrance. All of the DVCers and luxury/higher end hotel guests are greeted with it. Very amusing.

ToTBellHop

It really jumps out at you when entering from the International Gateway entrance. All of the DVCers and luxury/higher end hotel guests are greeted with it. Very amusing.
Please. When I’m walking over from Beach Club, I’m too busy enjoying my bagel with caviar that cost more than you make in a year to notice a sky blue building.

1698853695541.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom