News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

csmat99

Unless they figure out a way to move those barges, people will talk negatively about the show no matter what. Those oil mining rigs severely impact the feel of world showcase during the day.
No need to move just blow them up and let them sink. then sell tickets to scuba and snorkel the wreckage.

SteamboatJoe

Feeling good about this.

Haven't seen HarmonioUS but pictures of those eye sores were enough to make me hate it.

If they need a relatively cheap and low maintenance interim show, they should just run an updated version of, IllumiNations, not RoE (although I loved it) but the original. Classical music, fireworks, and maybe add in some drones if they want to spice it up with some 21st century flair.

csmat99

Yup - so many people were set to hate the show before they even saw it just b/c of the barges bring visible during the day

Personally I didn't mind them - though would like to see something more 360 for the center piece (be it like a globe or a circular water curtain, etc)
That isn't true. the barges are horrible and have no place in the lagoon but the show is just as bad if not worse. Especially when comparing it to classic that it replaced. it basically was bunch of music a 8 year old decided to play together and some 15 year shooting off fireworks in backyard. then you had some robots malfunctioning with arms going all over the place.

TDLFan

I'm still wrapping my head around this. They pulled the plug on this less than a year into it's life, which makes me wonder when the meetings began addressing they had a serious problem. 6 months in, maybe even sooner? Is same group responsible for Harmonious also the team that worked on Enchantment? Have these new shows been given back to the same creative teams or are they in time out to make sure its not fumbled again? Would love to know!

brb1006

Harmonious was largely a disaster from almost every angle. Disney underestimated the push back to the daytime appearance, the daytime fountain show was so bad it couldn't be shown to guests, the show itself was poorly received, and it is maintenance intensive.
And this show took four years to make?
spongebob-laughing.gif

TheMaxRebo

That isn't true. the barges are horrible and have no place in the lagoon but the show is just as bad if not worse. Especially when comparing it to classic that it replaced. it basically was bunch of music a 8 year old decided to play together and some 15 year shooting off fireworks in backyard. then you had some robots malfunctioning with arms going all over the place.

How is my opinion "not true"?

I personally don't mind the barges and I love Harmonius..... And I have been going to Epcot since 1984 and absolutely loved Illuminations (we made an extra trip to see it one last time). Harmonius is wonderful as well and also very much ties into the message of Epcot (in my opinion)

Rteetz

Huh what? They weren’t going to spend the money coming out of Covid on the celebration. It’s clear many things originally set for the 50th didn’t happen. There was even a different version of enchantment yet we got the one we got. Disney didn’t go all out for this.

mattpeto

Huh what? They weren’t going to spend the money coming out of Covid on the celebration. It’s clear many things originally set for the 50th didn’t happen. There was even a different version of enchantment yet we got the one we got. Disney didn’t go all out for this.
I agree with that but to say Disney had no budget for the 50th is wrong.

lentesta

Premium Member
I'm still wrapping my head around this. They pulled the plug on this less than a year into it's life, which makes me wonder when the meetings began addressing they had a serious problem. 6 months in, maybe even sooner? Is same group responsible for Harmonious also the team that worked on Enchantment? Have these new shows been given back to the same creative teams or are they in time out to make sure its not fumbled again? Would love to know!

I 100% think that Enchantment had to happen because HEA and Harmonious shared songs or films for like 11 of its 14 tracks.

For posterity, here's the Harmonious review we put in the Unofficial Guide. I stand by every word.

HARMONIOUS (three stars out of five)
Harmonious is the replacement for EPCOT’s long-running classic fireworks show IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. It’s also the lowest-rated of any current Disney nighttime spectacular. We think Harmonious has at least three significant problems.

The first problem is the show’s hideous projection barges, which project a screen of water at night on which various Disney film clips are shown. Besides having no aesthetic appeal whatsoever, these floating, black warts are an abomination on the picturesque views of World Showcase. They should never have been approved for use in the park.

The second problem with Harmonious is that the show’s main visual elements are visible only in two relatively narrow slices around World Showcase lagoon, whereas IllumiNations was visible at almost any point around the lagoon. Again, this is a design decision that’s baffling to anyone who’s ever set foot in World Showcase. It makes us think the people who designed the show never considered the needs of paying customers.

The third problem is that the vast majority of Harmonious’s soundtrack comes from films that also featured in the Magic Kingdom’s nighttime fireworks show Happily Ever After. Of the approximately 14 songs, we counted 11 that either came directly from Happily Ever After or were from the same film as another song in Happily. It’s as if the writers for both shows had exactly one CD of music between them. We honestly believe that the only reason Disney hastily replaced Happily Ever After with Enchantment at the Magic Kingdom in 2021 is because they knew Harmonious was the same show.

That said, a reader from Connecticut found Harmonious delightful:

I find myself disagreeing with you for the first time ever, I think. I found Har-
monious to be one of the single greatest things I’ve ever seen in my life. We
were standing in the right place, so that helped. If you ignore the fact that the
barges are ugly during the day, and if you’re OK with intellectual property
[“cartoon characters” —Len] in EPCOT, it is truly spectacular. The orchestra-
tions are beautiful, and between the animations on the screens, the water
screens, the fountains, the other lighting, the fireworks and other pyrotech-

nics, and the overall show, I was absolutely blown away.

jrhwdw

Yes and no. We just got the announcement yesterday but Harm will last till sometime in 2023.

This already lasted longer than I25A. I25B came I think May 1997, in the middle of the 25th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom