News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

mattpeto

I think I'm the only person that doesn't really like Fantasmic. :D

I'm fine if it stays Harmonious in April, I would hate for there not to be anything when we go. But, what are you gonna do.
Fantamsic! isn't my favorite show, but I'm longing pretty hard for it at this point, especially with no nighttime show in the works at AK for a long time.

I have a feeling I'll feel much better about it with this next version.

Jrb1979

Who got stuck having to explain to Chapek that his fireworks idea failed miserably? Or did they offer up a scapegoat for this costly train wreck? At least the castle show is a relatively easy switch.

I’m honestly shocked they threw in the towel on these shows. It’s the right call but they make the wrong call so often.
My guess this really only happening is cause they have nothing else to promote outside of Tiana and Tron. It's great they are admitting these shows weren't good but night time shows isn't what the parks needed right now. They severely lack capacity and are doing little to fix that.

What should be happening is a new attraction opening yearly.

mikejs78

Premium Member
This is the weirdest and most shocking announcement of the year for me. Wasn't Harmonious supposed to be Epcot's new standard show for years to come? Was it doing really badly in guest surveys?
I'm not an insider but just reading the tea leaves, I don't think Harmonious itself was doing badly compared to Illuminations at the end of its run and EF. But they had expected something a lot stronger that would be a draw to the park, and it wasn't that by a mile.

Plus, the Stargate and Tacos really drove up negative reactions to the park during the day.

TheMaxRebo

My guess this really only happening is cause they have nothing else to promote outside of Tiana and Tron. It's great they are admitting these shows weren't good but night time shows isn't what the parks needed right now. They severely lack capacity and are doing little to fix that.

What should be happening is a new attraction opening yearly.

They are opening new attractions yearly

Rat in '21
Guardians in '22
Tron in '23
Bayou Adventure in '24

I think they need more than that too and only 2 of these are actually new new additional capacity vs rethemes. And nothing official set for '25 yet

Jrb1979

I'm not an insider but just reading the tea leaves, I don't think Harmonious itself was doing badly compared to Illuminations at the end of its run and EF. But they had expected something a lot stronger that would be a draw to the park, and it wasn't that by a mile.

Plus, the Stargate and Tacos really drove up negative reactions to the park during the day.
I'm not surprised that's the case. IMO nighttime shows have never been something that draws people to a park. It keeps them there for the day. Epcot lacks enough to do to keep people there for the day.

ToTBellHop

I'm not surprised that's the case. IMO nighttime shows have never been something that draws people to a park. It keeps them there for the day. Epcot lacks enough to do to keep people there for the day.
They draw guests into TSRs for dinner. And those Epcot 3rd party joints have been upset. Meanwhile, resort dining can’t handle all the bored guests in the evening.

It’s all a delicate balance. They need guests in the parks all day.

aladdin2007

They draw guests into TSRs for dinner. And those Epcot 3rd party joints have been upset. Meanwhile, resort dining can’t handle all the bored guests in the evening.

exactly, I think it was a big part in the decision of this. not to mention disney's revenue from them and the ones they operate as well.

jrhwdw

exactly, I think it was a big part in the decision of this.
Are MK Resorts' TSR feeling this as well with DE????? HEA and maybe MSEP????? would empty those.......

Jrb1979

While it helps, they still need more then food for people to enjoy. Epcot is a disaster right now. They have Guardians, Soarin, Test Track and Remy. There isn't enough quality attractions to keep people busy all day. I get there needs to be a balance. IMO the first thing that needs balancing is having enough things to do to justify a full day at parks not named MK.

3 out of the 4 parks are basically half day parks. Maybe you would know but other then financial reasons why don't they seem interested in adding more to make these parks full day parks?

dreday3

While it helps, they still need more then food for people to enjoy. Epcot is a disaster right now. They have Guardians, Soarin, Test Track and Remy. There isn't enough quality attractions to keep people busy all day. I get there needs to be a balance. IMO the first thing that needs balancing is having enough things to do to justify a full day at parks not named MK.

3 out of the 4 parks are basically half day parks. Maybe you would know but other then financial reasons why don't they seem interested in adding more to make these parks full day parks?

Please. Epcot is a full day park for many, many people.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Harmonious was largely a disaster from almost every angle. Disney underestimated the push back to the daytime appearance, the daytime fountain show was so bad it couldn't be shown to guests, the show itself was poorly received, and it is maintenance intensive.

dreday3

Harmonious was largely a disaster from almost every angle. Disney underestimated the push back to the daytime appearance, the daytime fountain show was so bad it couldn't be shown to guests, the show itself was poorly received, and it is maintenance intensive.

I actually feel bad because the moving arms, the screens were actually kind of awesome.

Yes, I can attest it was pretty jarring during the day to see the barges. And I didn't really like the Disney movie theme in another nighttime show, but darn it looked pretty cool. Wish they could have made it work.

jrhwdw

Epcot has Frozen and Mexico too remember.

DHS will have night guests again when F! Returns.....whenever that is........

Jrb1979

Please. Epcot is a full day park for many, many people.
If you have kids, it's hard to make it a full day. Most aren't interested in exploring the world showcase or eating around the world. My whole point is other then MK, all these parks need more attractions not night time show replacements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom