Epcots empty buildings?

General Grizz

Originally posted by Chefjason1974
i was talkin about the wires & pipes you talk about?

While you're in the teency weency cow herding chamber overlooking a giant dryer - I mean the main queue area looking at the Space Wheel - look around you. GIGANTIC pipes overhead with speakers easily visible. A very cold Disney pavilion despite its intensity.

As for WOL, the open space isn't intimidating. Unlike a cramped area like M:S, it is open and inviting. It shows an area to relax. And, of course, Body Wars does not disrupt this atmosphere and was able to crank in the thrill guests.

And I do not hope I hear M:S compared to a "detail wonder," especially after it replaced Horizons.

Chefjason1974

Original Poster
i think the barf bags are just a precaution. MS was tested & retested by WDI. I trust them & i didnt get sick. Just follow the instructions that you are given 30.000.000 times & you will love it. Have fun!

Chefjason1974

Original Poster
Originally posted by General Grizz
While you're in the teency weency cow herding chamber overlooking a giant dryer - I mean the main queue area looking at the Space Wheel - look around you. GIGANTIC pipes overhead with speakers easily visible. A very cold Disney pavilion despite its intensity.

As for WOL, the open space isn't intimidating. Unlike a cramped area like M:S, it is open and inviting. It shows an area to relax. And, of course, Body Wars does not disrupt this atmosphere and was able to crank in the thrill guests.

And I do not hope I hear M:S compared to a "detail wonder," especially after it replaced Horizons.

I can't say that i have ever noticed these pipes & speakers & i have rode MS 6 times. Although all times have been with FP.

The aesthetics of MS cannot be compared to WOL because WOL was not trying to sell just 1 theme. As for body wars not disrupting this atmosphere this is probably because all of BW is outside the main dome. & all that it has inside is a sign. a very garrish sign i might add!

M.S. theme is straight forward & has a futuristic look hence the pipes, & the "teensy weensy" queue area.

Chefjason1974

Original Poster
Originally posted by General Grizz
A very cold Disney pavilion despite its intensity.

There's that word "pavillion" again. lets refrain from using this word to describe M.S. it is an "attraction" not a "pavillion". lets get this straight. :brick:

speck76

I was really surprised the MS building was so small, especially since it was designed post-fastpass. If you are going to spend hundreds of millions on a pavilion, spend a few hundred thousand more and enlarge the queue area.

Chefjason1974

Original Poster
I think the Epcot ball is an amazing marvel Of engineering but, as the main icon of Epcot it needs to be a better ride that sets the bar for what people are to expect from Epcot. The SSE sets are great but they don't ned to be housed in the ball. take them out & use them in the gargantuan post show area & possible innoventions area as another ride seperate from SSE but on a flat surface. the same effect can be created. As for the ball i would love to see some sort of futuristic 360 degree motion based 3d ride.

what do you think?

I'm sure the Epcot purists will be all over me but come on this ride does not need to be the symbol of Epcot. Even the queue area is not disneyesque it is just a bunch of chains outside.

Defend10

My take on this, at least as far as M:S goes, the exposed ceilings are simply themed. Space training centers are designed for function, not looks. We've surely already surpassed them as far as looks go, I can easily see walking into a space training center and seeing the speakers and ducts exposed.

People absolutely do not understand the concept of a pavilion any more. I'm not sure if it worked out in the past, but in the present, everyone thinks that the Land, for instance, is a single attraction. Stand around the entrance for a few minutes and watch the befuddled guests.

WoL, it's fun and all, but I'd say it's demise is near. The only thing that truly was entertaining was Cranium Command, admittedly, I hate to see that go. Body Wars I'm neutral on, and the Making of Me video I can seriously live without. A few portions of the sensory funhouse were neat, but the whole pavilion overall could easily be sacrificed for a new attraction, and I think you'll see this happen way before you see a raft ride in Canada.

General Grizz

I agree that Wonders of Life is slowly falling apart - but Disney does not realize the potential to revitalize the "Life and Health" pavilion. I've listed so many ideas that would bring families into a pavilion of rejuvinated attractions (with less cost) many a time.

I would hate (1) to see the area sit there empty, (2) to see the essence of Life and Health abandoned (has Disney given up on this, too? Come on!), (3) have pre-established characters take over the pavilion entirely.

As for Land, I've never seen many problems. The park maps show the different attractions within, and right at the front is a mini-map. If anything, a feeling of "there's so much more to do than we got done" will be insitilled after leaving a pavilion, further enticing guests to visit the park again.

speck76

I love SSE.

It would be a very sad day to see it go.

Unfortunatly, the ride is probably thought of as pretty lame to a great deal of people that see it. (not me)

Eventually, this ride will go, and many ppl will be upset.

Hopefully, WDI will design something more than a 3 minute thrill to take its place. Whatever eventually does take its place needs to be the end-all/be-all of technology and creativity.

I hope they don't blow it.

cloudboy

It's not a matter of pavilion versus one-content um...buildings? It's about how much content there is and how it is spread out. There used to be a lot to do in Future World. But it seemed they really slacked off on updating things - not renovating but actually updating the content to keep up with the times. YEs, that takes money. But you don't have to reinvent the whole ride to add one scene!

And now their solution is to just throw lots of money at one big thrill and that's it. What kind of money could they have soaked into updating several other rides instead of Mission:Space? Change the ending of Spaceship Earth, Renovate poor Wonders of Life, Open up the upstairs to Imagination.

Instead they spent a lot of money on Test Track, and now people are compakining it's too tame. Remember when they spent a fortune on Body Wars? How everyone worried that they were spending too much but then they made this great new ride - and now no one even GETS the chance to go on it. How long will Mission:Space last before it becomes old and dated?

They need to spend money a little more wisely, in my opinion - not throw it away on a big splurge that will only pay off for a couple of years and instead invest it in long term improvements.

speck76

I think also part of the sucessfull design of a pavillion is in the flow of traffic. The first attraction should exit near the entrance to the next attraction, and that should exit near the entrance to the next, and so on and so forth.

The land should be designed so that you enter towards the movie, exit the movie towards the boat ride, exit the boat ride towards Soarin'...that way, you can build up to the E-ticket.

The one problem with WoL is that Body Wars was too accessible. You could really enter the pavilion, walk over to body wars, ride, and exit without paying any attention to the other attractions.

Put the weenie in the back, and make the guests have other experiences to get there.

PeeplMoovr

I think the Epcot ball is an amazing marvel Of engineering but, as the main icon of Epcot it needs to be a better ride that sets the bar for what people are to expect from Epcot.

what do you think?

I'm sure the Epcot purists will be all over me but come on this ride does not need to be the symbol of Epcot. Even the queue area is not disneyesque it is just a bunch of chains outside.

I always find it amazing at how much people in here can differ. (this is not a jab - just an honest perception). I think SSE is the greatest ride in EPCOT at this point. (actually it's my favorite in all of WDW). I preferred Horizons, WoM, etc., to the new stuff, but even soutside of my own nostalgia, I think keeping SSE as it is - except with some minor revisions now and then to the end parts of the ride - is exactly what EPCOT needs. The queue is lame, I'll admit, but what follows more than makes up for it. To stay with the message of education and entertainment all in one - that is and should be the symbol of EPCOT for years to come. That ride is timeless (again, except for the later scenes that can be changed). Getting rid of it would be the final nail in the coffin to the old (and preferred by me) ECPOT personality.

I like the pavillion idea, and I'm a bit bummed that pavillions are being replaced with attractions, if that is, in fact, what's happening. "Future"world is becoming more and more uninspiring and more and more like just another theme park with "attractions". And to me, EPCOT should not be just another theme park. I'd prefer the right mix of nostalgia, while changing with the times. I hope that can be achieved. I do agree that much of the space is underused or poorly used as it currently stands.

Good thread topic, by the way.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wasted space? Don`t forget the Odyssey, Innoventions (loads of space left from Communicore), TLS Seacabs and second preshow second theatre, Food Rocks area (did they really need all this space for a queue, and couldn`t it have been routed somewhere else?), the never built Pavillion plots in World Showcase... and whilst we`re there, the areas for the German and Italian boat rides, Japans Meet the World, and the UKs Crystal Palace theatre...

MKCP 1985

I think the Epcot ball is an amazing marvel Of engineering but, as the main icon of Epcot it needs to be a better ride that sets the bar for what people are to expect from Epcot.

I agree.

SSE, the icon, is a great symbol of EPCOT Center, and to its credit there is something to do inside, other than shop, which is more than can be said for the Disney MGM Studios' sorceror's hat, or Cinderella's castle (oh, yeah - you can eat in a restaurant in the castle, too). DAK's tree of many carvings contains a nice 4D show inside and probably wins the award for" best inside entertainment in a park icon."

The ride inside SSE was really cool in the 80s, but today it bores first time riders.

WDWHeadBanger

As long as they dont take out any more rides. They seem to already be getting away from the pavillion style, and more rides are coming. So I say that EPCOT is on its way to improvement!

AndyP

The seem to be moving away from the pavilions. Look at the current trend, test track, mission space and now Soarin', attractions, not pavilions!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom