Epcot's 40th Anniversary

aladdin2007

Ditto

Nothing is going to take place of any significance.
Nothing.

If Disney can't get off its duff to do something significant on the day Magic Kingdom and the entire WDW property turned 50, there is no way in Hades' heck that anything meaningful will be done for Epcot's 40th.

Expect merchandise only.
And official Disney Blog posts.

After experiencing October 1st at MK last week for myself in person...it is clearer to me now then ever before that those two elements are all that really matter to the company now.
And yes, it is very sad indeed.

BUT......

Having said all that......

There is nothing stopping us fans from just showing up in the Park on Epcot's 40th and celebrating the day ourselves.
I said the same thing in 2007, when Disney was planning nothing for the 25th.....and look what happened!
We rallied the fans HERE on this very website, thanks to a thread that I began, and it snowballed into a major movement that changed history.
Disney did a complete turnaround.
Epcot's 25th Annivesary was made to become more then just a few paper giveaways and limited edition merch.
WE made it happen, and 'WE DID IT'!
Now it's your turn....

:)

-
I agree with all of that in full, I do think maybe however the complaints and backlash about the epic fail of the 50th may force them to do more for Epcots 40th, but of course not counting on that, it's just a thought. Epcot is in such a poor mess I dont know what they could do at this point other than a specific fireworks show, which would be nice compared to the abomination their running now. Something is going to change in some form some way, its not sitting well with folks.

Bocabear

Expect nothing but a marketing campaign, then you won't be disappointed when there is no real celebration of substance... GOTG will open and they will switch gears and say it is for the 40th... Maybe they will have the central courtyard completed by then, but at this point I am not even anticipating that will be done.

SoFloMagic

Expect nothing but a marketing campaign, then you won't be disappointed when there is no real celebration of substance... GOTG will open and they will switch gears and say it is for the 40th... Maybe they will have the central courtyard completed by then, but at this point I am not even anticipating that will be done.
If they had guardians, the restaurant, and a pathway through the center (still with walls around Moana and the old central hub) if would be a win.
Add in a limited time run of Epcot Forever for the 40th and I'm sold! 😂

muddyrivers

At the very least I would hope and expect that they play the original pavilion's BGM like they had done for a previous anniversary (hat tip to @marni1971 for helping make that happen!)

I think one of the things unique about EPCOT is today's guests still in some ways yearn for some of the nostalgia that was EPCOT Center. Look to the installation of the new old fountain glass centerpiece as just one example.

Time will tell, but if Chapek even thinks about touching those speakers in the Imagination bathroom, we'll riot! :eek:

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
We will probably get a special Spaceship Earth popcorn bucket.
Vanessa Lengies Money GIF

I'll stand in line 12 hours for that

trainplane3

Typically it seems like we get a big info dump about 6 months ahead. I think the 30th and 35th went that way. I wonder what the chances of them creating a new tag for fireworks on 10/1 is? I'm kind of expecting them to recycle the music but would almost like some level of Epcot Forever integrated into it...

Epcot82Guy

Would be a good use of the Stargate as it could show the pavilion logos through the duration of the show
e8243a181ab091f2626ff2ef6a8a7db5.jpg

Then the projector petals showing b-roll footage of the past attractions..

As much as I hate the barges, that would make a lot more sense - while they work to fix the whole thing. And, if they reworked the ending to be a mashup of Whole New World with We Go On.

TTA94

Would be a good use of the Stargate as it could show the pavilion logos through the duration of the show
e8243a181ab091f2626ff2ef6a8a7db5.jpg

Then the projector petals showing b-roll footage off the past attractions..

I can totally see EF using the current infrastructure. What would need to happen IMO is cut the center barge/ring and retool the soundtrack for EF. The soundtrack isn’t horrible but it does needs some improvements.

trainplane3

Or....just use the attraction soundbytes with the new narration and also Figment..
That's another option. I'd personally rather have some level of uniqueness to a show that gets played once every 5 years though. To get Ron in to do a couple of voice lines celebrating the 40th and narrating bits of the show would be extremely easy and would show they put in effort instead of using the same lines we've heard for decades now but twisted around to fit the show.

But knowing how things go the most unique thing we'll get from the 40th will be some banners, an anniversary map, and a bunch of merch (don't worry the really cool merch will have PASSHOLDER slapped across it because it always does). Pessimistic yes but considering they didn't bother anything worthwhile for MK's 50, I expect nothing for Epcots 40th.

Figments Friend

Yep.
I said it earlier, absolutely zilch for the 40th.
Mark my words.

All you will see is limited edition merch, 'retro' branded merch, official Disney blog / social media hype posts, and a couple of bones tossed to the salivating 'original' fans.
Every marketing trick in the book will be used to sell something to you that reminds one of the EPCOT Center attractions that no longer exsist.
Expect the nostalgia card to be swiftly and cunningly played.

I'd really like to be more positive about this...but nope.
Not happening.
Today's Disney will do zip unless it's related to merchandise or 'Instagram photographable' product.
Oh, they WILL however have one of those pricey 'D23 Disney Destination' events ....for fans who want to 'celebrate Epcot's 40th'....for a price.

Having said all that........'negativity'.....
I propose a positive option -

✨

I say we all show up in the Park on October 1st and have our own celebration, together, as it should be.
As has been done before.
Power to the people.

WE are EPCOT Center now...we are the FUTURE and we are the global community it has brought together.
Epcot deserves better then just another social media marketing campaign.
Think of the people who designed, built, and labored over this marvelous creation that has inspired and driven so many of us.
They deserve better respect, too.

Rile the masses, and do it up right.
Don't for a minute trust today's TDO to do anything substantial in regards to honoring the 40th.
It's up to those who care the most about the legacy of this Park to do something.
One cannot just keep wishing and hoping something will happen.
YOU have to MAKE IT happen!

So, what are you waiting for?

✨

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom