News EPCOT to be festival-free for summer 2024

peng

Guessing this is to test if they can do summer festival free while getting the same amount of guests (presumably to save on Labor costs during the summer). I remember rumors of one coming, but nothing beyond that (not even a theme). Feel like it will backfire as both Disney and Universal are going to have attendance dips this year (revenge travel is over and inflation is through the roof), though I don't see a dip as an excuse not to invest in WDW.

Disstevefan1

Can they really save that much though? Do they have that many seasonal employees that they can save by attrition?
I Have no idea. I was just thinking about all the costs involved in the food booths; operations, maintenance, food costs, energy costs, labor costs, etc., and what is the actual NET income from the food booths.

For Genie+ all real costs were years and years ago with the development and launch of FastPass+. Today while there are some costs in running Genie+, its a fraction of what it cost to develop and launch many years ago.

Now this period could be a test to see now they have the Genie+ income (money for nothing), when there is no food booth net income (they have data on that I am sure)

Also with no food booths, everyone will want to purchase Genie+ to get on attractions instead of walking around and eating at food booths

Its possible they make so much net income from Genie+, they greatly reduce or eliminate these festivals?

Growth by cutting costs. Its the Disney way these days it seems.

Andrew25

I do think part of the reduced dates is tied to "Festival Fatigue" in general. Whether its tied to lack of interest or saturation of the market, I've noticed a steep decline in interest at these festivals toward the end of their runs.

At Universal, Mardi Gras ended up having 2 booths closed (Canada & Indonesia/Thailand) a few weeks prior to the event's end.

SeaWorld basically survives off them at this point, they keep having to create new festivals. (Check their events calendar... kind of ridiculous lol)

Festival of the Arts 2024 was the only one I saw decently busy throughout its run... but it's a short festival and offers the most unique(ish) offerings outside of the food & beverage.

Disstevefan1

They are probably just skipping the summer as its too hot and its evolving into a slower time..

BUT

What if this is a test?

Imagine if they totally eliminate the food booths and still have "festivals" and during the festivals add one or two festival themed offerings to counter service and table service.

This eliminates a huge cost of the booths, and the counter and table service will and must exist anyway so to add a couple of items costs a fraction of the food booths, AND you now have folks walking around needing Genie+ to get on attractions instead of walking around looking and trying food booths.

We liked the food booths, but its not about the guest experience now is it?

ToTBellHop

They are probably just skipping the summer as its too hot and its evolving into a slower time..

BUT

What if this is a test?

Imagine if they totally eliminate the food booths and still have "festivals" and during the festivals add one or two festival themed offerings to counter service and table service.

This eliminates a huge cost of the booths, and the counter and table service will and must exist anyway so to add a couple of items costs a fraction of the food booths, AND you now have folks walking around needing Genie+ to get on attractions instead of walking around looking and trying food booths.

We liked the food booths, but its not about the guest experience now is it?
I’m confident there will be Encanto additions to restaurants.

ToTBellHop

Regal Eagle isn't even half as good as Polite Pig, and that's on Disney property!

Not really a knock on Regal Eagle either, just that Polite Pig is much, much better BBQ than I ever expected to find at Disney (it even got a Bib Gourmand award from Michelin).
I really wish they’d bring back the after-4 pm buses to DS from the parks. Dinner options there are so much better than the parks.

UNCgolf

I really wish they’d bring back the after-4 pm buses to DS from the parks. Dinner options there are so much better than the parks.

Last time we were there we ate dinner at DS almost every night -- we would often leave the parks around 7:30-8, then head to DS for a late dinner. There are several QS options at DS that are better than most of the TS restaurants in the parks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know how to get a Summer Festival! Imma send the below to Jim Shull as a "leak" so he'll post it on X as insider information....

⭐ Pixar Summer Chill Festival ⭐

Epcot finally gets its Summer festival with the theme of water and ice as Pixar takes over Future World's southwest quadrant from the central fountain through Innoventions West to the Land and heading south past Imagination to the gateway to the World Showcase.

Pixar favorites show up in various ways: large Nemo and friends sculptures appear in the fountains and ponds; Riley's hockey rink (actual ice or synthetic) for real outdoors ice skating with the emotions taking turns on the ice; a Frozone ice room with real blocks of ice; snow cones from an Adorable Snowman; food booths with gourmet ice creams and chilled desserts from Chef Remy which includes the translucent raindrop cake that's like a giant water drop from A Bug's Life.

And Epcot gets upgraded water pads for the summer with a Cars car wash and a water pad with the Toy Story characters having a giant water fight with their toy water guns that shoot water at one another and everywhere!

View attachment 298765

Sci-Fi Nights

Summer Festival dance party at the Universal Music Plaza Stage themed on Sci-Fi characters including the Minions, of course, and appearances by characters from: Transformers; Galaxy Quest; Mr. Peabody and Sherman; ALF; Eureka; Farscape; Stargate; Pacific Rim; and Monsters v. Aliens.

Get ready for anything grilled from Mahi Mahi to Muli Muli, from ribs to shoulders, from cob to kebab, as EPCOT debuts its own Summertime Festival in Moana & Daisy's Bar-Be-Luau!!

Lay out your red and blue gingham blankets under the tiki torches for barbequed meats and veggies from the Kiosks of the World serving their finest Summer-grilled picnic entrees & sides while bands play tropical serenades & homey hoedowns as Down South meets South Pacific.

Cool down with a
Watermelónica: A frozen slushy made up of watermelon, lychee, and passionfruit... a shot of vodka or coconut whipped cream is optional.

Andrew25

It also happens to run during the time of the year when the weather is most enjoyable.
Certainly that as well. I wish they can build dedicated areas for the booths along with shade structures/plenty of seating.

This feels like they’re collecting baseline data so some higher-ups can congratulate themselves when they make more money off some new festival next summer. If they focus on utilizing indoor spaces, it could work.
I do agree that this is likely what's happening. "Cleans" the numbers for this year, so next year's comp can be easy to prove & compare.

From my own observations, it seems like that they tried to do this with staggering some of the booth opening dates and may have noticed very little change in revenue/guest interest.

A "Disney Parks Around The World" Food Festival would pull some interest if you run it for a month or so.

bmr1591

This is strange. EPCOT loses A TON of money doing this. Its almost as if TWDC planned this to say, "WDW is not doing as well as we expected, therefore we will not invest in it".

I read it differently. Pushing festivals into the summer did no noticeable boost to attendance and actually cost them as they had to pay bands, workers, food costs, etc. to run the festivals that weren’t bringing in extra people. It’s just too hot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom