News EPCOT Parking Plaza refurbishment?

Casper Gutman

Soooo...

Two characters from one of the most lackluster and neglected dark rides on property.
Two characters from a purposeless and glaringly out-of-place walkthru that only exists because of a horribly broken development process and stock-price-tanking chaos in the executive suites.
Two characters from a fun coaster with an absurdly inflated budget and one of the worst pre-shows Disney has ever produced.
Two characters from an attraction that was so poorly conceived it was cancelled half way through construction.

Way to put your best foot forward, Disney!

MrHappy

Soooo...

Two characters from one of the most lackluster and neglected dark rides on property.
Two characters from a purposeless and glaringly out-of-place walkthru that only exists because of a horribly broken development process and stock-price-tanking chaos in the executive suites.
Two characters from a fun coaster with an absurdly inflated budget and one of the worst pre-shows Disney has ever produced.
Two characters from an attraction that was so poorly conceived it was cancelled half way through construction.

Way to put your best foot forward, Disney!
Welp, there’s a take

MadderAdder

Dreamfinder would be the obvious choice, but until he is reinstated into the attraction I don’t think it makes sense to have him there.

Frankly they should have done Figment, Remy, Olaf and Rocket. If they feel they must utilize characters. 2 Future, 2 World Showcase.
Surprised they didn’t choose those four which make more sense!

DisneyDebRob

I like Figment and his unique “Epcot-ness”, but Dreamfinder hasn’t been in the attraction in decades. I’ve been to WDW approx 20 times, with each trip being 10+ days, and except for this forum, I’d have no idea who he is.

I just showed my son (the biggest Figment fan ever) a pic of Dreamfinder and he guessed he was an “early version of the Burger King king”. That’s on Disney.
I understand. But for some of us Figment is nothing without Dreamfinder. I remember meeting them both in the park. This was before the destruction of the original ride of course.

Tom Morrow

Or just use the World Showcase as inspiration, and name the lots after countries

This is honestly such a no brainer that it's completely baffling that it wasn't used. I get that "Create", "Inspire" etc were probably harder to remember than an easily identifiable character, but a country is also easy. "You are parked in France." It even lends itself to cheap, fun jokes that everyone would surely make. "Can't believe we had to walk all the way from France to get in!"

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This is honestly such a no brainer that it's completely baffling that it wasn't used. I get that "Create", "Inspire" etc were probably harder to remember than an easily identifiable character, but a country is also easy. "You are parked in France." It even lends itself to cheap, fun jokes that everyone would surely make. "Can't believe we had to walk all the way from France to get in!"
You could have made this same point 30 years ago...so I am not sure how much of a no brainer it is.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They clearly wanted to rename them to something since the original names aren't as easy to remember. Instead of doing anything even remotely creative, they slapped down the "characters" card and called it a day.
I think they wanted to simply rename them as part of their Epcot overhaul. And they didn't just slap down some characters. One side of the lot is Space and the other is Earth.

The outlier pairing I see is WallE and Eve because, even though they fit Space, they do not have park representation (unless you count the Space 220 restaurant cameo). I wonder if they are still slated to be added into the wonders of life pavilion.

Casper Gutman

I think they wanted to simply rename them as part of their Epcot overhaul. And they didn't just slap down some characters. One side of the lot is Space and the other is Earth.

The outlier pairing I see is WallE and Eve because, even though they fit Space, they do not have park representation. I wonder if they are still slated to be added into the wonders of life pavilion.
I'm absolutely baffled as to how anyone can look at the staggeringly shambolic EPCOT "makeover" and still believe there is anything like a coherent plan behind it.

SplashJacket

These melodramatic responses are hilarious!

A character is infinitely more identifiable than an abstract verb like discover. How do you visualize discover? You can try with a symbol, or picture, or an original character, but it's not going to saturate like a recognizable IP. This is a quality-of-life feature.

That said, excluding Figment and Remy, two defacto mascots for the park, is confusing.

Casper Gutman

Was that the topic being discussed?
You suggested that Wall-E and Eve were added to the lot because there was still some coherent plan for the Play Pavilion (or its replacement) and that Disney's development process was effective enough that the group deciding on these signs would have any idea even if such plans existed. I see absolutely no reason to believe any of that.

SplashJacket

Where’s the 8th parking lot?
Being built at the bottom right (presumably for Cast Members)
1674256477611.png

Tom Morrow

These melodramatic responses are hilarious!

A character is infinitely more identifiable than an abstract verb like discover. How do you visualize discover? You can try with a symbol, or picture, or an original character, but it's not going to saturate like a recognizable IP. This is a quality-of-life feature.

That said, excluding Figment and Remy, two defacto mascots for the park, is confusing.

There are other things that are easily identifiable beyond characters. Again. THE WORLD SHOWCASE COUNTRIES. Literally 5 seconds of thought to come up with something that works just as well and is in line with the park's (alleged) purpose.

DAK's lots are the perfect example. "Giraffe" is easy to remember. But I can't wait until they are renamed Flik, Nemo, Dug, Jake Sully, Simba", etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom