News EPCOT Parking Plaza refurbishment?

Casper Gutman

I would suspect that 95% of people that go to EPCOT today...have never heard of Dream Finder. 95% Dont even know what E.P.C.O.T even used to stand for. 95% call Speacship Earth "the golf ball". I could go on and on...

This is the way Disney likes it. These people are EASY to please for less money and their expectations are not high.

Us?...we are HARD to please. We notice EVERYthing. And when something goes off brand or we see something that we know is "bad show"...we call it out! In short..."legacy fans" just know WAY too much and we have expectations that cant be met anymore in 2023.

We "legacy fans" want Disney to be as good as it was in the 80's or 90's or 2000 or 2010...but Disney cant do that stuff anymore like it used to. Those days are gone. We "legacy fans" are too expensive to please and 95% of their customers dont care anyway the way we do.

Honestly, all those creative people that we love the most have left. I think Joe Rode was the very last person from that great breed of Disney creatives.
Figments enduring popularity is not based off the irritating, generic creature that currently exists in the worst dark ride ever built at Disney World. It’s a holdover from the Dream Finder version. The marketing and use of the character outside of the pavilion makes that clear.

WorldExplorer

The countries suggestion would just put us right back in this situation we're all complaining about. They're pretty consistent about always shoving characters on top of the countries now.

We would end just end up with Remy, Miguel, Mulan, and Elsa lots

Casper Gutman

This is fine. Actually better than fine. The graphics are bold, the names will well serve remembering where you parked and it’s fun. This is a Disney park - tying it to the size of the presence of a specific character in Epcot is not needed. The level of hate relative to them dropping the ball on the state of Epcot generally is understandable, but these comments are just cranky people who are determined to hate everything.

Fixing Epcot will take years, but the recent moves give me hope. They are dismantling Stargate and the tacos - I thought we would be stuck with those for at least a couple decades!
Why in Heaven’s name would you take hope from the fact that Disney is going to remove incredibly high-profile and expensive structures that were part of the CURRENT masterplan to “save”Epcot? It’s evidence that this makeover has been even more dysfunctional and counter-productive then even the biggest naysayer on these boards could have imagined. The scale of the debacle is staggering - we’ve watched it unfold step-by-step, and as such have lost track of the sheer scope of the disaster. It’s difficult to imagine any other theme park surviving such a costly, complete failure.

Disney has NO plan for Epcot. They have spent huge amounts of money and nearly a decade on a “makeover” that solved nothing because it had NO guiding vision. After the hub is reopened, WDW will ignore Epcot for the foreseeable future. They’ve surrendered. These signs are more evidence of that, if any were needed.

eddie104

I know I’m in the minority but I could care less about what they name parking lots or characters they reference on them. I don’t think they are any indication of some future attraction(s) that Epcot may potentially get.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Which connects to what? There is no space land. World Discovery is not exclusively space.
Does MK have a villains land or hero’s land? Did MGM have a television land?
Well now that you mention it, they do have two space pavilions on one side and two earth pavilions on the other side (plus the moana thing). And spaceship earth in the middle. So having space and earth side of the parking lot make absolute sense! 😂

RSoxNo1

What I find most odd is how Disney keeps trying to appeal to retro and nostalgia, particularly at Epcot. They know how people eat that up, and when something like naming parking lots comes up, this is the best they can do. There is so much Epcot history that could have been used for inspiration.
This just reinforces what we've been saying for years. They simply don't get it.

RSoxNo1

Disney doesn’t want people driving themselves, they want guests who stay in the bubble and rely on Disney transportation. No trams is a subtle way to prevent drivers. IMHO.
I've got a few ways they could do this:

• Come up with a service to transport guests to and from MCO, if they do this they could eliminate the rental car traffic.
  • Come up with a ticket system that incentivizes longer stays. Say after 5 days each additional day is like $3-5
  • Give resort guests 3 hours a night at one of the parks to stay later after the other park guests are done for the day
I'm sure we could come up with more ideas like this if we really thought about it.

EPCOT-O.G.

You suggested that Wall-E and Eve were added to the lot because there was still some coherent plan for the Play Pavilion (or its replacement) and that Disney's development process was effective enough that the group deciding on these signs would have any idea even if such plans existed. I see absolutely no reason to believe any of that.
Look no further than the Disneyland 100 banners for evidence that you can’t infer that there’s any forethought (or a second set of eyes) when it comes to signage choices

SplashJacket

I get the idea behind but, but ultimately the simplest, easiest thing to remember would be naming the parking lots after a color. "You are parked in the Purple lot." It doesn't get easier to remember than that. These designs are somewhat abstract and having them all be one of two color schemes kind of muddies the attempt to make them more easy to remember.

"You are parked in Mexico". Everyone knows what Mexico is. It's easy to remember.

"You are parked in Hei-Hei." A character hardly even mentioned by name in its own movie.

Anytime someone suggests that "this one little thing isn't that big of a deal and you're just complaining for the sake of complaining" is forgetting that these "little things" keep popping up again and again and again. Ultimately one dumb, bad little change doesn't matter, but hundreds of them do.
It’s not about Hei-Hei.

A color lot, like orange, gives the brain one thing to latch onto. It has one opportunity for success.

A character like Gamora has sooooooo many. It has Guardians, green thing, woman, Gamora, etc. If someone asked you to remember a color or word, that’s the chance you remember it 12 hours later? 90%?

If this helps people find their car 10% faster, that’s a win.

The silhouette, colors, and visual design are all very distinct. Hei-Hei is green, and a chicken, in addition to any design they have.
Really??

🇩🇪
🇫🇷
🇮🇹

Yeah, those are all very similar. 🤪
I can name every country in the world on a map, identify every flag, capital, a major geographic features. I’m not the norm, I’m the exception.

The average American can probably identify those three flags, but good design requires no prior knowledge. Good design require knowing nothing. Good design isn’t built for the 90%, it’s for the 10% of fringe situations where things go wrong.

Anyone can make a bridge with enough time and budget. Takes an engineer to do it fast, efficiently, and for it to last the test of time.

A country flag, or a symbol associated with the country, like the Tower of London, Eiffel Tower, or leaning tower of Pisa, all require prior knowledge.

Touchdown

It’s not about Hei-Hei.

A color lot, like orange, gives the brain one thing to latch onto. It has one opportunity for success.

A character like Gamora has sooooooo many. It has Guardians, green thing, woman, Gamora, etc. If someone asked you to remember a color or word, that’s the chance you remember it 12 hours later? 90%?

If this helps people find their car 10% faster, that’s a win.

The silhouette, colors, and visual design are all very distinct. Hei-Hei is green, and a chicken, in addition to any design they have.

I can name every country in the world on a map, identify every flag, capital, a major geographic features. I’m not the norm, I’m the exception.

The average American can probably identify those three flags, but good design requires no prior knowledge. Good design require knowing nothing. Good design isn’t built for the 90%, it’s for the 10% of fringe situations where things go wrong.

Anyone can make a bridge with enough time and budget. Takes an engineer to do it fast, efficiently, and for it to last the test of time.

A country flag, or a symbol associated with the country, like the Tower of London, Eiffel Tower, or leaning tower of Pisa, all require prior knowledge.
-Mexico (flag with Miguel in his Marachi outfit in the foreground)
-Norway (flag with Olaf in the foreground)
-China (flag with Muschu in the foreground)
-Italy (flag with Pinocchio in the foreground)
-United States (with Mickey)
-France (with Lumiere or Remy)
-UK (with Tigger)
-Canada (with Mei as a Red Panda)

Have three things to associate with your car (name, flag, character)

Vegas Disney Fan

-Mexico (flag with Miguel in his Marachi outfit in the foreground)
-Norway (flag with Olaf in the foreground)
-China (flag with Muschu in the foreground)
-Italy (flag with Pinocchio in the foreground)
-United States (with Mickey)
-France (with Lumiere or Remy)
-UK (with Tigger)
-Canada (with Mei as a Red Panda)

Have three things to associate with your car (name, flag, character)
While I agree this would be infinitely better I think the outcry among fans would be just as loud. For hardcore fans any IP in Epcot is totally unacceptable, Disney knows this so theres not much reason for Disney to try to please them, it’s easier to just just make the casual fans happy because there’s nothing they can do to satisfy the hardcores. The casual fans will think these signs are cute, Disney wins.

We did UO last week and I was absolutely blown away by Velocicoaster, one of the first things I said to my Gf when exiting was it’s a shame Disney could NEVER build an incredible ride like that because they’d be absolutely crucified over all the visible track.

Disney is held to an impossibly high standard so they are pretty much doomed no matter what they do.

Casper Gutman

While I agree this would be infinitely better I think the outcry among fans would be just as loud. For hardcore fans any IP in Epcot is totally unacceptable, Disney knows this so theres not much reason for Disney to try to please them, it’s easier to just just make the casual fans happy because there’s nothing they can do to satisfy the hardcores. The casual fans will think these signs are cute, Disney wins.

We did UO last week and I was absolutely blown away by Velocicoaster, one of the first things I said to my Gf when exiting was it’s a shame Disney could NEVER build an incredible ride like that because they’d be absolutely crucified over all the visible track.

Disney is held to an impossibly high standard so they are pretty much doomed no matter what they do.
There aren’t more then a handful of Epcot fans who object to IP inclusion in the park. The idea that IP inclusion itself is a major cause of contention is usually put forward by posters trying to dismiss all criticisms of Epcot. The problem is that, as with so much else at Epcot, the use of IPs has been directionless, unfocused, cheap, and unimaginative. IP inclusion could have been joined to edutainment to form a coherent direction for the park. Instead it’s been used as a shabby band-aid that reinforces all of the company’s worst impulses. These signs are a perfect, if minor, example of the thoughtless, slapdash use of IPs.

Dizknee_Phreek

There aren’t more then a handful of Epcot fans who object to IP inclusion in the park. The idea that IP inclusion itself is a major cause of contention is usually put forward by posters trying to dismiss all criticisms of Epcot. The problem is that, as with so much else at Epcot, the use of IPs has been directionless, unfocused, cheap, and unimaginative. IP inclusion could have been joined to edutainment to form a coherent direction for the park. Instead it’s been used as a shabby band-aid that reinforces all of the company’s worst impulses. These signs are a perfect, if minor, example of the thoughtless, slapdash use of IPs.
Exactly this. IP in Epcot isn't exactly new. When I was growing up in the 90s, there were already characters in Epcot...they were just dressed in culturally representative clothing (or "futuristic" clothing in the case of Future World). I had zero problem with it. What I do have a problem with is them shoving IP in where it doesn't belong with, at best, a loose explanation...at worst no explanation...and assuming we'll buy into it. Yes, us "legacy" fans have high expectations. But why? Because Disney set those expectations years ago. I feel the reason we get so upset with seemingly lazy updates is because we know what they're capable of. And it's frustrating when something you love and admire doesn't live up to the example it set for itself. It seems any more for every one thing they get right, they get 3 things wrong. The clever, small details is one reason we all fell in love with Disney and what made them stand out from the competition. It's sad to see the small details don't mean as much to them anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom