Epcot Guide to Drinking Around the World!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Inspired by the recent legendary "Alcohol is Bad" thread, I decided to write my guide to Drinking Around the World in Epcot. I have some tips in here that I think are pretty good (the importance of starting in Mexico, certain drinks to avoid, when to hit Table Service restaurants instead of drink stands, etc.)

I apologize in advance for contributing to the downfall of Walt Disney World by creating an article that *gasp* assists adults in enjoying Walt Disney World as well. To counter this article, I swear my next one will be about why Dumbo and Peter Pan's Flight should be the only attractions in WDW. :rolleyes:

http://www.disneytouristblog.com/fe...ng-around-the-world-in-epcots-world-showcase/

BoardwalkGlenn

Fun post! Hopefully I'm never one of those cussing at a light pole.

And the picture of you and Sarah in Morocco with the Sultan and a Casa Beer -- so stinkin cute!

raven

Good tip...but, the article could of done without the few personal negative comments like:

Skip the “African” Outpost – Way back in the 1980s, this was where the African pavilion was to be. Now it’s just a waste of space. It doesn’t count as a country, and should be avoided at all costs.

or

Stop at Via Napoli in Italy...No need to bother with the pizza.

I think there are kinder ways to say "move along" without making up the readers minds for them.

dreamscometrue

Great article...thanks for that. We always enjoy World Showcase very much, and the wide selection of food and beverage offers. I've never had tequila, but am thinking of visiting 'La Cava del Tequila' next time. I didn't know until very recently that they had a dedicated website.

http://www.lacavadeltequila.com/home.html

Also, you are most likely familiar with this other site-which I love-but in case you aren't, here's a link you may enjoy.

http://www.partythroughtheparks.com/

Cheers

menamechris

I LOVE it! It has been way too long since I have played Drinks Around the World. It really can take a lot out of you! Another favorite of mine is Drinks Around the Lagoon. Hop on the monorail at the TTC, and ride around the Magic Kingdom resorts for a drink at each. That's fun for a "lighter" drinking day. :)

enchanted_belle

I'm looking forward to trying this out when I go in Feb. I've already sent the blog to my co-travellers to try to get them excited. :lol: Good thing to read for a first-time-being-in-the-World-post-21 girl. :wave:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The most well written drinking around the world post I have come across. Well done.

Also, Sam Brick Red is a stupendous beer. I always have heard that it is available at the Kiosk down there, but I have yet to actually spot it. And since it is only available in Boston otherwise, I am consistently out of luck.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Totally agree about America. We keep talking about it here. Get some craft beers in there. I have 40 taps at my place in Tampa and it's rocking, you can't give us one Disney?? I promise, I'll buy at least 2 every time I go (which is often)!

Ringo8n24

Great post! The "must have" for me is absolutely the Grey Goose slush at the France Pavilion. I'm interested in checking out your recommendations on China. I seem to pass that one by...

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Good tip...but, the article could of done without the few personal negative comments like:

or

I think there are kinder ways to say "move along" without making up the readers minds for them.

Curiously enough, the Via Napoli excerpt you quoted wasn't intended to be a jab at the pizza (just informing people they can go to Via Napoli without eating anything), although I do think the pizza at Via Napoli is pretty overrated. It's the best pizza at Walt Disney World, but that's not really saying much.

In any case, if people are looking to read a blog in which the author doesn't interject his own opinions, they definitely should not read mine. I make no pretenses that I'm running some sort of objective news-site.

hammysammy59

Oh my god I love Grey Goose, awesome to know it's available in Epcot. I feel like you always just hear about the margaritas in Mexico, so it's cool to hear about some of the other offerings.

But mostly Grey Goose.

menamechris

What's so special about the Outpost? Disney seems to have given up on it - why shouldn't we?

Testtrack321

What's so special about the Outpost? Disney seems to have given up on it - why shouldn't we?

I think what Raven is going for is not to tie a decision based on old EPCOT concepts, maybe instead on the overal quality of what is served. (I don't care for the ginger beer at outpost for example, and other than that there's nothing there.)

Though I do find it funny Tom refers to Tecate as "decent", it's the Keystone of Mexico. :lol:

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I think what Raven is going for is not to tie a decision based on old EPCOT concepts, maybe instead on the overal quality of what is served. (I don't care for the ginger beer at outpost for example, and other than that there's nothing there.)

When the subject is Drinking Around the World, I see no issue with advising readers to skip the Outpost. As best I can tell, there is no country in the real world called "the Outpost," and as such, it's not a country in the World Showcase. One of the beer carts in Future World might serve excellent beers (they don't), but they aren't included, either, because they're not representative of countries.

Yes, the way I say that (calling the Outpost a waste of space) in the post might be a little harsh, but that's my prerogative.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Though I do find it funny Tom refers to Tecate as "decent", it's the Keystone of Mexico. :lol:

I think the last time I had Tecate I was in college, so the beers I was comparing it to probably were Keystone and Busch Light. It's certainly better than either of those. :ROFLOL:

Seriously though, anyone getting a drink in Mexico should be getting one of the excellent specialty drink that La Cava serves. That place is a real gem, and they really seem to CARE. (They are pretty active on Twitter, it's cool to see.)

Testtrack321

When the subject is Drinking Around the World, I see no issue with advising readers to skip the Outpost. As best I can tell, there is no country in the real world called "the Outpost," and as such, it's not a country in the World Showcase. One of the beer carts in Future World might serve excellent beers (they don't), but they aren't included, either, because they're not representative of countries.

Yes, the way I say that (calling the Outpost a waste of space) in the post might be a little harsh, but that's my prerogative.

And I do agree with you on skipping the outpost, I was just trying to find the angle Raven was going with. It's the same reason I'd almost suggest skipping America, the quality and selection isn't there (except America has a real pavilion so that does put it slightly over the edge).

Seriously though, anyone getting a drink in Mexico should be getting one of the excellent specialty drink that La Cava serves. That place is a real gem, and they really seem to CARE. (They are pretty active on Twitter, it's cool to see.)

I did a stint in Los Cabos for 6 weeks this year and I can say La Cava is as good as any tequileria I've seen down there. The biggest difference is that most Mexican ones don't mix as many drinks or offer food, which La Cava does REALLY well. When I drank around the world I got a flight of tequila for around $10-12. Also, we drank for my best friend's birthday, he was wearing his birthday button and got a FREE shot of pretty good tequila! FREE TEQUILA AT DISNEY! WHAAAA!

Do not try the El Sol beer in Mexico. I'm adventurous so I like to try different and unusual beers, but El Sol is terrible even with a slice of lime. The tequila bar has 2 or three other beers available also but I imagine they are all pretty bad. Negra Modelo is the only Mexican beer worth drinking anyway, it doesn't need a lime to taste decent and it's the only Mexican beer brewed in the German tradition. A nice fruitier beer is Black and Cider in England. I'm a purist so I'll stick with Guinness. Only beer I've ever had that you can drink out of the bottle at room temperature and not want to scrub your tongue afterwards. If it says "serve ice cold" on the bottle don't drink it any other way, otherwise you may actually taste it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom