Epcot / Germany River Ride

Pluto_is_my_fav

Original Poster
I finally got my hands on the "Since the World Began" book. It briefly mentions that "A Rhine River attraction was originally planned" for the Germany pavillion "and a building was even built for it, but the attraction was never constructed." It also says "A pair of massive wooden doors at the rear of the Sommerfest outdoor care is the only indication of the show building behind the stone castle wall."

Germany is our favorite pavillion in our favorite park! Does anyone have any more info on this? Sketches? Why it didn't get built? Any rumors of it ever being built?

kcnole

World showcase could desperately use another ride. I'd like to see something else go there and the Brother Bear Canada ride just doesn't impress me much.

Rob562

I finally got my hands on the "Since the World Began" book. It briefly mentions that "A Rhine River attraction was originally planned" for the Germany pavillion "and a building was even built for it, but the attraction was never constructed." It also says "A pair of massive wooden doors at the rear of the Sommerfest outdoor care is the only indication of the show building behind the stone castle wall."

Germany is our favorite pavillion in our favorite park! Does anyone have any more info on this? Sketches? Why it didn't get built? Any rumors of it ever being built?

Note that the wooden doors are no longer there, but rather a large mural was built over top (or in place) of them.

-Rob

LilRoo714

I've read that JimHillMedia article in the past, and I've always thought the Japan train looked like a really neat idea except for capacity issues. It looks narrow and I can see people getting crowded in there.

Anything new in those countries would be nice though! Is there extra red tape to go through to get new attractions back there because of sponsorships or would it be the same process as bringing in a new Future World attraction?:veryconfu

lwalker8

When was the last time they built an attraction in World Showcase anyway? How can an area of the park sit virtually unchanged for so long? The only ride I enjoy in World Showcase is the American Adventure...unless I feel like sitting in a boat in the dark for 5 minutes.

makonyy15

Wow, that Venezula pavilion looked awesome. I would've loved some South American flair in World Showcase, but the high use of plants and waterfalls wouldn't fit in, in my opinion. Although the Canada pavilion has plenty of waterfalls, it fits in with the rock landscape. The Venezula pavilion looks like something you'd see in a small section of Animal Kingdom instead of Epcot.

bgraham34

So many things could have been done in World Showcase. Its a shame nothing grand really came of the construction of some of these pavillions. I just hope that one day soon they add another attraction to the pavillions.

darthjohnny

There were plenty of attractions planned out never built in the world showcase. I own an openning day guidebook, and it describes several countries never built, complete with attraction detail.

Lucky

In the real Germany there's a terrific train route between Cologne and Frankfurt, down the Rhine River. You can see lots of castles built on the riverbank or on islands in the river. Boat trips down the Rhine are also popular, but more expensive. Maybe an eventual replacement film for Soarin' could use highlights from each country represented in Epcot, with the Rhine including the Cologne Cathedral for Germany.

Pluto_is_my_fav

Original Poster
Thanks for the link to that article...very interesting.

I had a gap of about 8 years in which I hadn't been to WDW...including 2000. I was just doing some searching and found info on the Millenium Village. Do you know what that was all about? Were any of the countries represented there popular enough to warrant consideration for an addition to World Showcase?

darthjohnny

Over 100 countries were represented in the Millenium Village, some already a pavillion, like Italy. It was there to celebrate the Millenium Celebration. It had interactive areas to learn about the countries and had samples of food to savor. The Isreal exhibit had a motion ride about the three religions, Christianity, Judism, and Islam. Now the Millenium Village is just used for conventions and is rented out. I went when there was a free Disneyana Convention a few years ago. Hope that helps! :)

Scar Junior

Wow, that Venezula pavilion looked awesome. I would've loved some South American flair in World Showcase, but the high use of plants and waterfalls wouldn't fit in, in my opinion. Although the Canada pavilion has plenty of waterfalls, it fits in with the rock landscape. The Venezula pavilion looks like something you'd see in a small section of Animal Kingdom instead of Epcot.

I can see it now... statues of Hugo Chavez and MLB's best baseball players!

raven

There were plenty of attractions planned out never built in the world showcase. I own an openning day guidebook, and it describes several countries never built, complete with attraction detail.

I have one of those books as well. It shows Africa (a continent, not a country) and Israel. Also, TLS and Horizons was still listed as "coming soon."

raven

Thanks for the link to that article...very interesting.

I had a gap of about 8 years in which I hadn't been to WDW...including 2000. I was just doing some searching and found info on the Millenium Village. Do you know what that was all about? Were any of the countries represented there popular enough to warrant consideration for an addition to World Showcase?

I don't know why they can't just make that old MV building into another indoor country (like Mexico is). That side of WS needs more anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom