Epcot Food & Wine Festival = Booze Fest

Chef Mickey

30 days a year is not really a big deal. And again, you can choose to not be impacted for almost all of this, unless it's right in your face. You've made a point of looking out for it, so you're going to notice it more. This puts a damper on your Disney trip, so why do it? You're causing your own less than perfect time.

Maybe the discussion needs to shift to having realistic expectations. You're going to a food and wine festival. It is reasonable to expect people will be drinking there, and just like any family restaurant where people are drinking (probably more since it's an outdoor "festival" where many are on vacation) some are going to drink more than others. You should expect that. If you don't, that's on you not being realistic, Disney or not.

How much drinking is fun and how much is appropriate are subjective questions. Your ideas may differ from others. You're not necessarily right.

Maybe eliminating alcohol would be an improvement for you. It would not for many, many others. It would greatly diminish the event for me if it were a food & soda event.

Side notes: people don't always get drunk intentionally. That doesn't have to mean they "can't handle their liquor" or did something wrong.

No! He clearly got drunk first, and then changed belts in the middle of Epcot!
I can notice it without it putting a damper on my trip. I'm used to idiots.

Generally, I just disagree with the premise of having a lot of easy to get, non regulated alcohol consumption going on at Disney Parks. I'm a big wine with dinner person and love the idea of trying different tastes around the world. I just think it could be implemented better.

Bpmorley

Since they won't do that, I'd like them to track with MagicBand and cut people off. No MagicBand? No drink.
That won't fly either. Our last trip we had a disney chase reward card with $400 on it. So now I wouldn't be able to use that. What about disney gift cards, have a ton of those too. Disney is not going to stop any of it.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Since they won't do that, I'd like them to track with MagicBand and cut people off. No MagicBand? No drink.
If I may ask a question, and please know that I am not trying to be rude in any way. But as you yourself said (typed), that you can notice people drinking but it doesn't put a damper on your trip, which makes me wonder what specifically have you witnessed or experienced that makes you want Disney to cut people off or even ban alcohol altogether?

BuddyThomas

I have never seen anyone drunk or doing something thats not correct on epcot... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And yet, you don't know if he was drunk or just out of his freaking mind. Could have been either, or both. All bad behavior cannot be blamed on alcohol. Just ask all the brats who screech in restaurants and run under and around tables while their parents sit there and do nothing.

BuddyThomas

How much am I really impacted if I go 30 days/year? I'm just pointing out that it would be an improvement to just get rid of alcohol at a place where there are so many kids, families, and crowded spaces.

This isn't an indictment on your ability to drink and walk. Most people can handle it and do. It's just those that don't can impact a lot of others. If there is an unfortunate incident, you're going to see Disney react to it. I'm just advocating them being more proactive. They just don't need it.

Time and place for everything. I think all drugs should be legal, so it has nothing to do with being offended. It just doesn't need to be at a Disney park, like a lot of other things I may like.
Well, it's not going anywhere, sorry. They are expanding alcohol sales, not limiting it. Might I suggest Dollywood to you? When last I checked, that place was dry as a bone.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If you want to go bar hopping, and you know you are going to get sloppy, loud, violent drunk, go to some bars that are not within a theme park's boundaries where they are more equipped to handle your drunk self, and where people know that they will most likely encounter drunks like that.
It's a shame that Roadhouse was an MGM movie and not 20th Century Fox... otherwise WDW could open up a Double Deuce bar at Disney Springs and people could go there to air out their bad selves...

Chef Mickey

Let’s get back to being realistic again.

Don’t go to an Epcot festival at night or on weekends. That is all.
Again, I didn't say it bothered me to the point I won't go. You're creating that image in your own because you don't like my opinion. I never said it was popular, but I think it's the right decision.

Eventually, I do believe Disney will track your alcohol consumption with the MagicBand. I don't think it's a bad idea and it will be forced if there is a significant incident involving a drunk (let's hope not).

You saw their reaction after 1 freak accident in the water involving a child. You'll see the same thing with the regulation of drunks.

Chef Mickey

Well, it's not going anywhere, sorry. They are expanding alcohol sales, not limiting it. Might I suggest Dollywood to you? When last I checked, that place was dry as a bone.
Again, no need to suggest alternatives. High level, I'm good with it. There are a lot of things I don't like (as I'm sure you too) but I can just roll with it.

You can't change everything you don't like, even though many expect this to be true. Look at politics. People are elected into power, yet the democracy that elected the person is criticized by people who didn't get what they wanted. You take everything in stride and move on, hoping it changes and doing your part. I've let Disney know how I feel. Do they care? Maybe not, but I did my part to voice my opinion.

Bpmorley

Again, I didn't say it bothered me to the point I won't go. You're creating that image in your own because you don't like my opinion. I never said it was popular, but I think it's the right decision.

Eventually, I do believe Disney will track your alcohol consumption with the MagicBand. I don't think it's a bad idea and it will be forced if there is a significant incident involving a drunk (let's hope not).

You saw their reaction after 1 freak accident in the water involving a child. You'll see the same thing with the regulation of drunks.
Disney turning into big brother

Bpmorley

Again, no need to suggest alternatives. High level, I'm good with it. There are a lot of things I don't like (as I'm sure you too) but I can just roll with it.

You can't change everything you don't like, even though many expect this to be true. Look at politics. People are elected into power, yet the democracy that elected the person is criticized by people who didn't get what they wanted. You take everything in stride and move on, hoping it changes and doing your part. I've let Disney know how I feel. Do they care? Maybe not, but I did my part to voice my opinion.
I've always been good for that myself. I'm big on the calls and letter writing. Although drinking in EPCOT isn't one of them

Chef Mickey

If I may ask a question, and please know that I am not trying to be rude in any way. But as you yourself said (typed), that you can notice people drinking but it doesn't put a damper on your trip, which makes me wonder what specifically have you witnessed or experienced that makes you want Disney to cut people off or even ban alcohol altogether?
It's a personal opinion. I've seen all kind of anecdotal stuff and I'm confident it would be better gone or at least more regulated through MagicBands.

I'm not going to get into specific incidents because people against my opinion will just shoot everything down.

High level, I just don't think unlimited easy to get alcohol mixes well at a Disney park because it's a family environment, there are massive crowds, it opens unnecessary risk, and it's not always easy to get away from these people.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

I'd like them to use Magicbands (and admission cards) for proximity warnings for other guests invading my personal space. If wishes and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom