EPCOT Entertainment cuts

Kman101

I know they don't want guests attached anymore, but has this all been really worth it in the long run? They should have just kept Off Kilter. They also should have moved Fife and Drum back to Liberty Square. I'm still bummed over losing these two acts, and the World Showcase Players. Who makes these entertainment decisions?

Thumper 32

I know they don't want guests attached anymore, but has this all been really worth it in the long run? They should have just kept Off Kilter. They also should have moved Fife and Drum back to Liberty Square. I'm still bummed over losing these two acts, and the World Showcase Players. Who makes these entertainment decisions?

Agreed. At this point, the Morocco stage has been empty for months, Canada is now empty, the supposed Japan act never showed up, etc. Overall I'd say these changes have all been much more miss than hit.

And you're exactly right about World Showcase Players, I think that's the biggest loss of all. Epcot needs that from a variety standpoint, you can only watch so many bands in a day, there needs to also be other types of entertainment.

Kman101

Agreed. At this point, the Morocco stage has been empty for months, Canada is now empty, the supposed Japan act never showed up, etc. Overall I'd say these changes have all been much more miss than hit.

And you're exactly right about World Showcase Players, I think that's the biggest loss of all. Epcot needs that from a variety standpoint, you can only watch so many bands in a day, there needs to also be other types of entertainment.

Exactly. I don't get it. I just don't (well, I do $$$).

The problem is WDW is a huge destination resort and the vast majority of guests will never know they were there. They will probably notice a lack of entertainment acts, but even then, I don't think it's noticable to the millions of guests who didn't know they were there to begin with, and WDW management clearly seems to know this. Shame.

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
If this was an experiment to see what else they could come up with, I think we can all agree it wasnt a good outcome. I too would like to see a lot of the entertainment back in EPCOT. Disney has a lot of great entertainers to choose from, in people they have used before. I would like to see them re-visit some of these individuals. Also one of the points I keep coming back to, is that it seems like the people who were successful, were all Cast Members at one point or another, not third party acts that are contracted. I think there is a connection with a cast member that you just dont get with other entertainers that is just different and special. The engagement and inclusiveness in watching an act is different from one to the other, as I have seen even in acts that I did like. As said before that they are not looking to have people get attached to a particular act, but for me a lot of what makes Disney special is EXACTLY that connection. I live within a few hours of some of the best theme parks in the Northeast area. If I want the newest, biggest baddest coaster, I certainly dont need to fly to Florida, stay onsite and spend a decent amount of money to do it. It is the connection with the cast members and the warmth that I feel, visiting with people I am friendly with, that calls me back "home". I think the Cast Members are an integral part of that experience. Marie

Kman101

If this was an experiment to see what else they could come up with, I think we can all agree it wasnt a good outcome. I too would like to see a lot of the entertainment back in EPCOT. Disney has a lot of great entertainers to choose from, in people they have used before. I would like to see them re-visit some of these individuals. Also one of the points I keep coming back to, is that it seems like the people who were successful, were all Cast Members at one point or another, not third party acts that are contracted. I think there is a connection with a cast member that you just dont get with other entertainers that is just different and special. The engagement and inclusiveness in watching an act is different from one to the other, as I have seen even in acts that I did like. As said before that they are not looking to have people get attached to a particular act, but for me a lot of what makes Disney special is EXACTLY that connection. I live within a few hours of some of the best theme parks in the Northeast area. If I want the newest, biggest baddest coaster, I certainly dont need to fly to Florida, stay onsite and spend a decent amount of money to do it. It is the connection with the cast members and the warmth that I feel, visiting with people I am friendly with, that calls me back "home". I think the Cast Members are an integral part of that experience. Marie

So much this. Which proves even more that the suits (most, not all, of course) just don't get it.

If I ran a business I'd put people in charge who understood what they're running. But not this company. It's a shame.

Mike S

Yes. But what would they be called? How about 'Lush' or Canadian Invasion?
RUTMTEERSH036_001.jpg

If you've been to a recent concert you'll get it :hilarious:

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
So much this. Which proves even more that the suits (most, not all, of course) just don't get it.

If I ran a business I'd put people in charge who understood what they're running. But not this company. It's a shame.
I briefly skimmed Lee Cockrell's book and he made it a point of walking any of the properties that he managed including a hotel that I remember in particular to see what was right and what was in need of improvement. Different times of the day and night of course so he couldnt be predicted as to when he would come by. Sounds like a certain Man with a vision we all know and are fond of, yes?? Marie

Nubs70

I briefly skimmed Lee Cockrell's book and he made it a point of walking any of the properties that he managed including a hotel that I remember in particular to see what was right and what was in need of improvement. Different times of the day and night of course so he couldnt be predicted as to when he would come by. Sounds like a certain Man with a vision we all know and are fond of, yes?? Marie
Basic management theory known as Management By Walking Around or MBWA. A simple but effective management practice. Depending on the company culture, walking around can be seen as bad practice if one is expected to be at their desk during working hours.

note2001

In all fairness, the Lumberjacks appealed to some of the men (we'll be generous and say 33%?), but on a one-show-only basis. Anything beyond one show and the people who did like it started hating it.

This last group had a good sound but was horribly lacking in their professional appearance and demeanor. They were not stage ready.

Both of these acts could have been vastly improved had Disney guided them with some help in wardrobe, stance, dialog, and of course, getting rid of the #@%^ chainsaws.

For the next act I hope Disney selects a group that already has a good show put together and doesn't depend upon them beinging able to tweak all aspects of their performance to suit the venue. Historically, it's been shown these groups simply don't know how to do that.

Or they can go back to creating their own entertainment. ;)

Last edited:

note2001

I'm still bummed over losing these two acts, and the World Showcase Players.

By the way, I may or may not have seen some of the former WSP over in DHS last December. They were attempting to pull off their version of A Christmas Carol with the same approach to the story as they had in World Showcase, but under the guise of being filmed. While funny, it had nowhere the same audience draw as the performance drew over in the UK pavilion with the proper costuming and location.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom